Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Show OFF your Seedlings ..2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43913)

Gardeneer February 11, 2017 05:41 AM

Show OFF your Seedlings ..2017

2 Attachment(s)
Like the title says :cute:
This is the place to show off or rather share your seedlings pictures.
I get it started.

This was about 2 weeks ago.
[ATTACH]69659[/ATTACH]

This is how they look today 2/11/17
[ATTACH]69660[/ATTACH]

The ball is at your court now. C'mone !

gardeninglee February 11, 2017 06:19 AM

Those look great. My seedlings are nowhere near that even at 3 weeks old - they are just starting to show signs of their true leaves. I get about 2-3 hours of sun on my patio this time of year. I am really thinking I need to move some of these on top of my car for a few hours a day and just hope the crows and people leave them alone.

Gardeneer February 11, 2017 06:34 AM

[QUOTE=gardeninglee;617889]Those look great. My seedlings are nowhere near that even at 3 weeks old - they are just starting to show signs of their true leaves. I get about 2-3 hours of sun on my patio this time of year. I am really thinking I need to move some of these on top of my car for a few hours a day and just hope the crows and people leave them alone.[/QUOTE]

Thank you GG
Two to 3 hours of light in the patio is not enough. Mine get 16 hours under FL.

If your weather is nice and worm (60F ++) , you can introduce your seedlings to sun, outside. But do it gradually. Even in defused light in a bright day outside, they will get as much light as under artificial light. Some breeze can be also beneficial to strengthen the stems.

Worth1 February 11, 2017 06:49 AM

Prime plants good job.

Worth

gardeninglee February 11, 2017 07:09 AM

Thanks Gardeneer. The patio is my gardening space. =) It'll get more sun in the next few weeks (I hope!). This time of year the sun is hidden behind some buildings and is blocked by some trees as well. April cannot come quickly enough for me! I have warm temps here but very little sunshine so the seedlings actually go outside as soon as they sprout.

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;617891]Thank you GG
Two to 3 hours of light in the patio is not enough. Mine get 16 hours under FL.

If your weather is nice and worm (60F ++) , you can introduce your seedlings to sun, outside. But do it gradually. Even in defused light in a bright day outside, they will get as much light as under artificial light. Some breeze can be also beneficial to strengthen the stems.[/QUOTE]

Gardeneer February 11, 2017 07:57 AM

[QUOTE=gardeninglee;617899]Thanks Gardeneer. The patio is my gardening space. =) It'll get more sun in the next few weeks (I hope!). This time of year the sun is hidden behind some buildings and is blocked by some trees as well. April cannot come quickly enough for me! I have warm temps here but very little sunshine so the seedlings actually go outside as soon as they sprout.[/QUOTE]

Ok. As I said, even indirect/defused sun light in a warm bright day can be as good as under FL. Tree shad is better than building shad.

ibraash February 11, 2017 07:17 PM

Some of my pepper and tomato seedlings

4 Attachment(s)
Some of my pepper and tomato seedlings

Gardeneer February 11, 2017 08:43 PM

Looks nice , Ibraash. I have lived near Lawrenceville ( Duluth, North Fulton area ).
I know how the weather is over there. Your plant out should be (normally) early April, same as mine here in this part of NC.
So I think that your timing is right.
Good luck and take care of those nice seedlings.

ibraash February 12, 2017 12:36 AM

Thanks. I started all the seeds in my unheated greenhouse. BTW do I need to cut the first two leaves (the "untrue" leaves)?

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;618092]Looks nice , Ibraash. I have lived near Lawrenceville ( Duluth, North Fulton area ).
I know how the weather is over there. Your plant out should be (normally) early April, same as mine here in this part of NC.
So I think that your timing is right.
Good luck and take care of those nice seedlings.[/QUOTE]

ibraash February 12, 2017 12:39 AM

More pictures :)

9 Attachment(s)
More pictures of seedlings and greenhouse veggies :)

AlittleSalt February 12, 2017 02:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Peppers potted up a few days ago. They really liked todays 88F

Gardeneer February 12, 2017 06:49 AM

[QUOTE=ibraash;618141]Thanks. I started all the seeds in my unheated greenhouse. BTW do I need to cut the first two leaves (the "untrue" leaves)?[/QUOTE]

No, Ibraash. No need to cut those cot/seed leaves at this stage. They will eventually die and fall off. But when I plant out deep, I would nip them then.

Robert, your peppers look nice and ready to take the world. Mine after 4 weeks ar just growing their first/second pair of true leaves. But they have plenty of time, till April when the air and soil warm up nicely for peppers. I had a lot of germination failure and just ended up having 9 variety instead of 16. But I am covered from sweet, mild and all the way to wild.:lol:

Spartanburg123 February 12, 2017 09:28 AM

Nice babies folks! Out of 36 sowed, I have only 6 that have sprouted thus far. They are a little leggy- should I move the light source closer to them? I have a little fluorescent on my desk.

Thanks!

Darin

AlittleSalt February 12, 2017 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;618162]No, Ibraash. No need to cut those cot/seed leaves at this stage. They will eventually die and fall off. But when I plant out deep, I would nip them then.

Robert, your peppers look nice and ready to take the world. Mine after 4 weeks ar just growing their first/second pair of true leaves. But they have plenty of time, till April when the air and soil warm up nicely for peppers. I had a lot of germination failure and just ended up having 9 variety instead of 16. But I am covered from sweet, mild and all the way to wild.:lol:[/QUOTE]

I had germination problems too. Out of a 72 cell tray planted with three seeds per cell, I ended up with 51 plants.

Pepper seeds are saved differently than tomato seeds. When I save seeds, I put them in a cup of water for around an hour. The ones that float - I toss. I only save the ones that sink. That method has worked well for me over the past two years.

I tried seeds from a huge jalapeno we bought at the grocery store in a 12 cell tray and none of those germinated. I really didn't expect them to.

BigVanVader February 12, 2017 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dwarf Mr. Snow