Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Dr. Carolyn Male - hospitalized 5/30/13 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28446)

Mischka June 4, 2013 12:41 AM

Dr. Carolyn Male - hospitalized 5/30/13

It is with a heavy heart that I make this post. Carolyn fell very ill Thursday evening and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. She was placed in Intensive Care, suffering from a dangerously high white blood cell count, combined with very low blood pressure.

Her brother contacted me to let me know of her condition and asked that I not make this public, until she herself wished me to do so.

She was moved to a room from the ICU this morning. Her white cell count is still very high; 30k. She has a kidney stone lodged inside her that has caused a severe infection and septic shock to her body. The doctors have determined that she's too weak to be operated on in her current condition, so they're hoping she can overcome the infection with the medications she'll be receiving this week.

I spoke with her briefly on the phone earlier this afternoon. Her voice was very faint and weak, with her words coming slowly. She was in a lot of pain and it took all I had not to choke up while we were talking. I'm so used to her pithy sense of humor and raucous laughter whenever we talk on the phone, both of which were conspicuously absent during the conversation.

She did ask me who was winning the finals for the French Open and the scores, so I looked them up and told her. She said she wasn't able to grab her bag with her address book/phone #'s when the EMTs took her from her home, which frustrated her because she has no way of getting in touch with anyone. I asked her when she wanted me to let you all know of her condition. After a big sigh, she told me to go ahead and do so because she doesn't think she'll be going home anytime soon. I told her it wouldn't be too long before our members noticed she had stopped posting and started becoming concerned.

The nurses were bringing in her dinner, so I told her I'd let her eat in peace. She said she hadn't eaten much in the last four days because the pain makes her nauseated, but that she would try to eat something. The hospital won't allow her to make phone calls directly, so she asked if I would call her tomorrow, around noon. So I will.

I have the address of the hospital but am not going to post it publicly, out of respect for her privacy. For those of you that would like to send her a get-well card, please PM me and I'll be more than happy to give it to you.

I'll use this thread to post further updates. Please keep Carolyn in your prayers. I'm also going to read her the posts in this thread, as another way of getting your messages to her. I know she'll like that.

imp June 4, 2013 12:44 AM

Please do send on my best wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery to her.

Thank you for the information.

peebee June 4, 2013 12:54 AM

Oh, my heart stopped when I saw the title of this post. But so glad she is well enough to talk now, thank you for letting us know Mischka. I am sure you will be getting tons of messages for her. Please tell Tomato Goddess I am keeping her in my thoughts and prayers!

LDx4 June 4, 2013 01:07 AM

I had noticed today that she hadn't been posting for the last few days, and I wondered if she was having computer/internet connection problems again. Mischka, please convey to her my best wishes for a full recovery! We miss her very much!

Lyn

svalli June 4, 2013 01:10 AM

Please send my best wishes to dear Dr. Carolyn. I'm wishing her all the best and hope she will get well soon. I am keeping her in my prayers.

bluebonnets June 4, 2013 01:18 AM

So sorry to hear this! Wishing you the best and pray you'll have a speedy and complete recovery!

Tania June 4, 2013 01:28 AM

oh no!!! I wish Carolyn a quick recovery. We will miss her so much!

Carolyn, you are in my thoughts.

Chucker June 4, 2013 01:30 AM

Oh my. Maybe somebody can get a laptop to her. Get well Carolyn. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Mojave June 4, 2013 01:40 AM

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this! Get well soon Carolyn.

salix June 4, 2013 01:40 AM

Adding my best wishes, too. The focussed, positive energy of 12,000 plus tomato growers will surely help Carolyn towards a speedy recovery. Thank you Mischka for updating us.

Jayc June 4, 2013 02:57 AM

So sorry to hear this news, Carolyn I hope the pain eases quickly and do get well soon. Will be thinking of you. Ps Wimbledon soon!

mecktom June 4, 2013 04:48 AM

Hoping you are feeling better very soon. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

amideutch June 4, 2013 05:25 AM

Mischka, the first sentence in your post put a knot in my stomach. At least she is out of the ICU which is a good thing. Give her my best and to stay away from the chocolate. Definitely keep here updated on the French Open.

Ami

Redbaron June 4, 2013 05:52 AM

Get well soon Carolyn! Your work isn't finished yet. We need you.

RebelRidin June 4, 2013 06:28 AM

All my best for a speedy recovery Carolyn. There will be tomatoes that need tasting soon you know!