Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Eggplant aka Aubergine (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Kamo and Casper Eggplant (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=14839)

mdvpc June 13, 2010 04:09 PM

Kamo and Casper Eggplant

2 Attachment(s)
Got fruit set on both of these. First time I have grown Kamo, grow Casper every year.

Kamo:

A highly prized traditional "kyo yasai" or Kyoto vegetable, from the Kamo area of Japan. It has been a delicacy in the region of Japan for many hundreds of years. A Kamo eggplant is unique. It is fat and round with a flat bottom. It has lustrous purple-black skin and purple calyx. The fruit is about 4" in diameter, and weighs up to 1/2 pound. This is the choice eggplant served at top restaurants in Japan. Its tight pulp has a rich flavor. Particularly delicious when coated and baked or fried with miso and tofu.

chalstonsc June 13, 2010 04:23 PM

Michael,
What is a good source for seeds?
Tom

mdvpc June 13, 2010 06:47 PM

Tom:

My Casper came from Seed Saver's Exchange online catalogue. My Kamo came from Gourmet Seed:

[url]http://www.gourmetseed.com/c=MLM9NXzhEn4qAlcdDWGMAwFZN/product/EP12/EP12---Eggplant-Kamo.html[/url]

chalstonsc June 14, 2010 05:48 PM

Michael,
Thanks

mdvpc June 15, 2010 08:23 AM

Tom: No problem, looking forward to trying this one.

dokutaaguriin June 17, 2010 07:12 PM

I tried Kamo nasu last year in Kyoto. We had it thickly sliced, grilled and served with a sweet miso sauce. I could not find any seeds for it so thanks for the link.
I hope you will give us a taste report in a couple of weeks.

Jeff
edit: I just checked out their shipping prices to Canada- $14.95 plus 20% of the order total. I think I will find another source WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!!

mdvpc June 17, 2010 08:59 PM

Jeff: just sent you a pm. also, do you have a recipe for the miso sauce?

dokutaaguriin June 17, 2010 09:48 PM

Dengaku Miso
Over medium to medium low heat simmer the following ingredients:
1 3/4 cups of red or white miso (My preference is white miso)
1/3 cup sake
1/3 cup mirin
3 tablespoons of sugar

You basically want to dissipate most of the water content until it becomes a paste.
Slice the Kamo nasu into 1/2" slices. Coat heavily with vegetable oil. Broil until almost completely cooked. Brush the dengaku miso paste onto the sliced kamo nasu and return to the oven. Once the dengaku miso paste starts to bubble and boil then it is ready to eat.
You can use Dengaku Miso paste when grilling any other vegetables.
Jeff

mdvpc June 17, 2010 11:01 PM

Jeff: Thanks for the recipe!

peebee July 19, 2010 04:36 PM

I found my seeds at Kitazawa Seeds based in Oakland, CA. Easy to find on the net. They also sell their seeds at select nurseries (email them, they are quick to respond) and at some Asian supermarkets.
They do not say so on their website, but if you ask, they can send via envelope instead of bubble-wrap/box whatever it is that entails the $4 or $5 postage, if you are only ordering a few packets. I was told it would only cost $2 that way (but I am in the same state). I didn't have to have any shipping costs as I found them in my local Asian market, after talking to the purchaser there who was going to order more seeds, to order them for me.
I have never saved eggplant seeds, only tomatoes, but if this is not a hybrid, and you give me pointers on how to save seeds, I could try to save so I could share next year. That is, if I get enough fruits. Right now I only see two small ones, and the flea beetles are killing me!

mdvpc July 27, 2010 09:16 AM

My wife used Jeff's recipe last night with some Kamo that I picked. Had some Jericho Romaine lettuce from my hydro system also, along with chard from my garden. Was out of white miso, so used my 3 year old barley miso. It was fantastic!

Thanks to Jeff for the recipe!

pinakbet July 27, 2010 10:26 AM

When I was thrown in Japan, I was lucky to taste this kamo eggplant. the chef cut it slices and coated it in tempura batter then deep fried. yummy. so sweet.

is it true that casper eggplant tastes like mushroom?

mdvpc July 27, 2010 11:07 AM

To me, Casper tastes like eggplant. Actually, my wife doesnt like it and has told me 2 years to stop growing it. I probably will stop growing it, and substitute an Ichiban-or just keep growing ping tung long.

Tempura would be real good with Kamo.

roper2008 July 27, 2010 09:22 PM

I purchased Casper and Thai Green eggplant from SSE in 2007. I wasn't
crazy about Casper, but the Thai Green is nice and very productive.

pinakbet July 27, 2010 09:26 PM

I want to try casper as well next time. I only got "white egg" for my white variety... :)