Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing for Market (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Mums for fall... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45594)

BigVanVader July 14, 2017 11:57 AM

Mums for fall...

I think I'm going to do 150 Mum pots for fall. I can get the plugs for 25 cents each and the terracotta pots are $65 for 300 (8x5) I figure I can fill 20 pots per 11 dollar bag of mix plus the fertilizer (Osmocote)

My question is does anyone else sell Mums and if so what do you charge? I'm thinking $5 but I know in stores they can be $7-$9. I will have around $200 in them by the time they are ready and if I sell 150 @ $5 I make $750. Not sure $550 profit is worth it? Thoughts? :?!?:

clkeiper July 14, 2017 03:51 PM

why terra cotta pots? that is really expensive and they are heavy. why not use plastic mum pots?

Cole_Robbie July 27, 2017 03:05 PM

I just looked at the catalog of a supplier near me:
[url]https://millstadtyoungplants.com/mums/[/url]

The selection is overwhelming. I have no idea what to order.

BigVanVader July 27, 2017 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;654597]why terra cotta pots? that is really expensive and they are heavy. why not use plastic mum pots?[/QUOTE]

Oh lol I meant terra cotta colored plastic pots instead of black. I just bought my plugs yesterday. They were actually 50 cents per plug. So for 150 mum plugs and 500 broccoli was $100. I went with a red a yellow and a gold. Wanted white but he was sold out. I can get the variety names if you want Cole. I looked at Ball but same as you my head was swimming from the hundreds of choices. The ones I got don't need clipping and I'm going to try using Osmocote plus mixed in the media instead of a typical 20-10-10 schedule.

clkeiper July 27, 2017 03:23 PM

BVV, that makes sense. those terra cotta clay ones would be terribly heavy

"I'm going to try using Osmocote plus mixed in the media instead of a typical 20-10-10 schedule." you will still want to fertilize as you water. the osmocote is a great boost but don't go with skipping the fertigation.

Cole_Robbie July 27, 2017 03:30 PM

I'm looking at this catalog now:
[url]https://ncfarmsinc.com/availability/Rooted-Plugs[/url]

Cole_Robbie July 27, 2017 04:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just pulled the trigger on 350 mum plugs, 35 of those are Montauk Daisy. I have no idea what I am doing, but I am determined to not let that stand in my way.

I tried to get unusual colors, so I am not selling the same thing as everyone else.

MissS July 27, 2017 05:13 PM

Those look beautiful! A very nice selection.

SueCT July 27, 2017 05:21 PM

Pinks and purples and whites are very popular around here, as well as early varieties. People like whatever they can see starting to bloom. They don't like to have to imagine what it will look like or go by a picture. The least popular color seems to be the rusty oranges. But they all sell by the end of the season so it probably doesn't really matter. Good luck to all of you!

BigVanVader July 27, 2017 05:33 PM

Nice Cole! Beautiful selection. That is a lot of transplanting. I'm dreading all mine. My varieties are: Jacqueline improved, Akilon Gold, and Danielle red. I hope I can sell 150. I'd be afraid to do more, but next Spring I'm definitely going to sell a lot more flowers. Cole if you can find a local plug guy it makes things reall easy. Mine even sells the bigger perennials for $3 a pot. You could pot up to gallon size, wait 10 days then sell em for $8-10 bucks. Same with about any plant you could imagine. This will be a fun learning experience :yes:

imp July 27, 2017 10:05 PM

I am learning a lot by reading and seeing what you guys are doing, and enjoying your progress.

My Foot Smells July 28, 2017 08:14 AM

Lavender does well here and of course yellow. They usually go for 9.99 for a two gallon trade pot here w/ a big fro.

wildcat62 July 28, 2017 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=imp;657155]I am learning a lot by reading and seeing what you guys are doing, and enjoying your progress.[/QUOTE]

me too, I enjoy following the learning curve & successes. :yes:

Cole_Robbie July 28, 2017 02:19 PM

Most of the pots I have are the "trade size" gallon, maybe 85% of a gallon. Is that too small?

My Foot Smells July 28, 2017 05:56 PM

Bigger is mo better? Me thinks. Two gallon trade seems more like true gallon. Crepes and jap maple are higher than cat back here, and NEVER go on sale. 3 footer goes for 50 and both excluded in summer sales.

BigVanVader July 29, 2017 02:15 PM

I got 8x5 mum pans. Should I charge $10 for them? I can take a pic in a bit. They are bigger than I expected.

MissS July 29, 2017 11:59 PM

Yes and yes!

MissS July 30, 2017 12:01 AM

Of course. Yes and yes.

imp July 30, 2017 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;657403]I got 8x5 mum pans. Should I charge $10 for them? I can take a pic in a bit. They are bigger than I expected.[/QUOTE]

What is your average cost to set them up fully for sale?* Then you can figure what to charge.

* rhetorical question.

BigVanVader July 30, 2017 05:05 PM

Well I could profit from $5 per but I could really make some money if I go $10 per. I'm actually transplanting them all now. I'm supposed to fertilize at 300ppm but idk how to break that down to ounces or tbs. Help anyone?

Cole_Robbie July 30, 2017 05:10 PM

Whoever makes your fertilizer may have published a chart for mixing based on ppm.

If you get a meter, remember to account for the ppm of your tap water. Mine is about 250 ppm. So 300 ppm of fertilizer added would read 550 ppm.

Blue Lab makes nice meters. Hannah brand is decent. The cheap Chinese knock-offs are a waste of money.

BigVanVader July 30, 2017 06:54 PM

Do you use a meter Cole? I bought this [url]http://www.amleo.com/jacks-professional-20-10-20-peat-lite-water-soluble-fertilizer-25-lb-bag/p/J201020/[/url]
the chart on the bag just shows the measurements for fertigating.

Lol I just saw the measurements on that site.

imp July 30, 2017 08:09 PM

Next question is local price on comparable product, and how yours is better/worse?

Beings as you prob don't have comps., I would start it at the market at 10 holding there if yours are hitting early, and be willing to do a drop if needed after other Mums come out, IF there is a price point far below yours and yours are not selling.

Make the most of your strong points, pesticides, small grower pays more attention, etc..

PureHarvest July 31, 2017 07:29 AM

Cole, one-gallon is not big enough if you want a substantial plant that won't need water twice a day. Of course, some growers put one cutting in a 6" pot for "table top" mums. A royal pain to keep watered in a hot summer/fall.
Make sure you all check to see if you need 3 cuttings per pot, or if your variety is bred to branch and will need just one cutting.
We used 2 different suppliers from mums in the past. Probably sold around 500 per year at the garden center. Both grew in 2 gallon pots. This was key for us to keep them watered.
We paid $4 and change for a 2-gallon, and retailed for $7.99 or 3/22 if I remember the 3-for price correctly.
The lighter/pastel colors fade the worst after opening. The lighter they are to start, the quicker they wash out. Go with the strong/deep colors. I would avoid pom-pomp types.

BigVanVader July 31, 2017 07:55 AM

Got all mine done yesterday. I think I'm gonna shoot for $7 each and 3 for 20. I decided to go with the fertilizer schedule Ball reccommeded as my plug guy also follows it. I was able to fill exactly 25 8×5 mum pans per 2.8 cu ft bag of mix. Got all the broccoli plugs done too and ended up with 325 in sheet-pots. Planning to go 3 rows spaced 10' in a 30 inch bed.

My Foot Smells July 31, 2017 08:03 AM

Do markets charge tax? (7.99 vs. 8 even)

If they do, it is shameful. Can't remember from the last time I went.

BigVanVader July 31, 2017 08:04 AM

We dont but some bigger farms do. They have a cash register and its just like buying at the store.

imp July 31, 2017 11:21 AM

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;657694]Got all mine done yesterday. I think I'm gonna shoot for $7 each and 3 for 20. I decided to go with the fertilizer schedule Ball reccommeded as my plug guy also follows it. I was able to fill exactly 25 8×5 mum pans per 2.8 cu ft bag of mix. Got all the broccoli plugs done too and ended up with 325 in sheet-pots. Planning to go 3 rows spaced 10' in a 30 inch bed.[/QUOTE]

You were busy!!!

What are "sheet-pots"?

BigVanVader July 31, 2017 11:32 AM

Well my son Nathan did a lot of the work as well. Nice to have free labor when your trying to be a farmer :yes:

Sheet pots are literally pots in sheet form so you can fill them all at the same time w/o wasting dirt/time. They tear apart easily.
[url]http://www.landmarkplastic.com/ProductView/118/33/124[/url]

imp July 31, 2017 12:25 PM

Thank you. That what is what I thought, but wanted to be sure.