Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Container veggies perking up (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48669)

PlainJane February 5, 2019 06:04 PM

Container veggies perking up

3 Attachment(s)
The cauliflower went through a growth spurt and the lettuce took off too.
This frilly reddish mustard is really good. Part of a mix, so I don’t know which one it is.

greenthumbomaha February 8, 2019 12:55 AM

I'd perk up if I was in Florida! Very nice and I'm a tad jealous. It's below zero here.

- Lisa

PlainJane February 8, 2019 06:37 AM

[QUOTE=greenthumbomaha;726356]I'd perk up if I was in Florida! Very nice and I'm a tad jealous. It's below zero here.

- Lisa[/QUOTE]

Yikes! While there are lots of things I miss about the “up north” places I’ve lived, waiting forever until spring gardening isn’t one of them. I love being able to grow outside all year.

PlainJane February 14, 2019 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I finally managed to not eat all the snap peas as I poked around in the garden, so I added them to the Thai red curry for dinner.

Koala Doug February 14, 2019 07:58 PM

[SIZE=4][B][FONT=Garamond]Looking good![/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

SQWIBB February 14, 2019 08:58 PM

Nice!

PlainJane February 14, 2019 09:37 PM

Thanks! Sugar Magnolia and a few Magnolia Blossom, with Royal Snow to follow.

bower February 15, 2019 08:11 AM

Those red podded snap peas are gorgeous! What variety is that?

PlainJane February 15, 2019 06:19 PM

Those are the Sugar Magnolia peas...more purple than red. From Baker Creek.

Shrinkrap February 17, 2019 03:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=PlainJane;727063]Those are the Sugar Magnolia peas...more purple than red. From Baker Creek.[/QUOTE]

Those are pretty. I bet they grow tall rather than "bush". :surprised:

Here are my bush snap peas. I think "Sugar Daddy".

PlainJane February 17, 2019 07:27 AM

Nice, Shrinkrap! I refuse to buy snap or snow peas as they taste nothing like home grown fresh picked.
Yes, they get 6 to 7 feet or so but not crazy tall like pole beans.

GoDawgs February 18, 2019 10:49 AM

Those are pretty peas, PJ! Boy, I'm tempted but thank goodness the allotted space for peas is filled. :lol:

I've grown sugar snaps twice and somehow once they went into the freezer they hardly ever came out. Maybe out of sight, out of mind. The second time I didn't provide any support as the catalog description said they didn't need any, that they'd support each other. Well, a storm came through with high wind and laid those peas down just before first picking. What a tangled mess! That was the last time I grew them.

PlainJane February 18, 2019 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=GoDawgs;727315]Those are pretty peas, PJ! Boy, I'm tempted but thank goodness the allotted space for peas is filled. :lol:

I've grown sugar snaps twice and somehow once they went into the freezer they hardly ever came out. Maybe out of sight, out of mind. The second time I didn't provide any support as the catalog description said they didn't need any, that they'd support each other. Well, a storm came through with high wind and laid those peas down just before first picking. What a tangled mess! That was the last time I grew them.[/QUOTE]

A couple of times a wind blew the snaps off their supports and it was a devil of a time tying them back up. But ... they taste so good fresh I always grow them.

ginger2778 February 18, 2019 10:27 PM

Those peas look so awesome.

PlainJane February 19, 2019 06:33 AM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;727373]Those peas look so awesome.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I’m a sucker for unusually colored vegetables. I maintain a neighbor’s planter and last weekend they discovered their cauliflower is purple. It was pretty funny.