Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Garden 2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44594)

Randall April 18, 2017 06:04 PM

Garden 2017

9 Attachment(s)
A couple of progress shots, so far.

The first wave of Tomato seedlings have been living outside for almost two weeks now.

Getting greens set out but still some mulching to do :)

Perennial stuff is waking up now that the weather is warming.

KarenO April 18, 2017 06:31 PM

Wow! Gorgeous garden, that asparagus oh my goodness!
KarenO

Deborah April 18, 2017 06:34 PM

I'd freak out to see an asparagus bed and to taste fresh asparagus. How wonderful!

Farmette April 18, 2017 06:56 PM

Beautiful garden, Randall. Everything looks so healthy; tomatoes have nice thick stems! When do you dig your garlic?

Randall April 18, 2017 07:27 PM

Thanks, all! :)

@Farmette, usually the first or second week of July.

Randall May 1, 2017 09:03 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Just a couple of update shots. Everything is almost keeping up with the weeds.:lol:

SteveP May 1, 2017 09:12 PM

Randall, your garden looks awesome. How old is your asparagus bed?

Randall May 1, 2017 09:38 PM

Thanks

It just turned 4 this year (from seed).

jillian May 1, 2017 09:43 PM

Wow that asparagus looks amazing! Nice job!

Spartanburg123 May 1, 2017 10:16 PM

It all looks amazing. And Holy Asparagus!!!

Rockandrollin May 2, 2017 09:39 AM

Holy crap batman! You got ripe peppers already in zone 6a!

I assume you planted out pretty mature plants. If that's not the case, could you share your success plan?

ddsack May 2, 2017 09:44 AM

Morels too? How lucky can one guy get?!!
Great looking garden.

Ricky Shaw May 2, 2017 10:07 AM

I hadn't seen asparagus growing and had the stalks pictured closer together. Ready to rubber band, like celery.

Beautiful work again this year Randall.

imp May 2, 2017 10:25 AM

Productive and pretty, so tidy!

SteveP May 2, 2017 11:24 AM

You can tell a lot of work and love has been invested in that garden. Makes mine look like an alleyway in East LA.

Randall May 2, 2017 11:56 AM

Oh, shucks. Thanks, all! There's definitely some sweat equity growing out there.

[QUOTE=Rockandrollin;636392]Holy crap batman! You got ripe peppers already in zone 6a!

I assume you planted out pretty mature plants. If that's not the case, could you share your success plan?[/QUOTE]

That pepper plant is in a 5 gallon grow bag. It's a Ghost Pepper I've overwintered a couple of years.

I call it overwintering but it really keeps growing through Winter in a sunny window and I just prune it to look like a nice house plant. It even squeezes out a couple of peppers through the winter. I'll eventually bump it into a 10 gallon bag once I know for sure I won't have to drag it back indoors due to weather, haha.

I know several people here overwinter peppers. It's definitely a great way to get them to really produce for the season.

Deborah May 2, 2017 01:42 PM

It's all just incredibly wonderful! Really is!

Rockandrollin May 2, 2017 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=Randall;636436]Oh, shucks. Thanks, all! There's definitely some sweat equity growing out there.

That pepper plant is in a 5 gallon grow bag. It's a Ghost Pepper I've overwintered a couple of years.

I call it overwintering but it really keeps growing through Winter in a sunny window and I just prune it to look like a nice house plant. It even squeezes out a couple of peppers through the winter. I'll eventually bump it into a 10 gallon bag once I know for sure I won't have to drag it back indoors due to weather, haha.

I know several people here overwinter peppers. It's definitely a great way to get them to really produce for the season.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Thanks

2 thumbs up on your garden!

Randall May 4, 2017 11:29 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Some of the first greens from the garden and the berries are making me berry happy.

daylilydude May 4, 2017 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=Randall;637039]Some of the first greens from the garden and the berries are making me berry happy.[/QUOTE]

Randall i'm green with envy over your greens... i'm not a big tomato lover, but I do love me a mess of greens. :yes:

Randall May 4, 2017 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=daylilydude;637046]Randall i'm green with envy over your greens... i'm not a big tomato lover, but I do love me a mess of greens. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I hear you there. I'm as much a fan of greens as I am tomatoes.

I start them early indoors and treat them like gold so I can get to that first harvest as quickly as possible.

I blanch and freeze them to get me through the Winter. I still have a couple of packs left from last year. I try to make sure to never run out!

bower May 4, 2017 05:22 PM

Yow morels in a row next to the garlic :?::shock: Was that on purpose???!!!!! :yes:;)
Man that is some sweet garden... everything looks fantastic. Excellent asparagus for four years from seed! And I can't believe you have strawberries already. :surprised:
Also those are crazy pretty strawberries with the pink flowers. :love:8-)

Randall May 4, 2017 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=bower;637142]Yow morels in a row next to the garlic :?::shock: Was that on purpose???!!!!! :yes:;)
Man that is some sweet garden... everything looks fantastic. Excellent asparagus for four years from seed! And I can't believe you have strawberries already. :surprised:
Also those are crazy pretty strawberries with the pink flowers. :love:8-)[/QUOTE]

Aww, thanks!

I wish those morels were real, hahahah.

Unfortunately, they're the inedible, ornamental variety. I inherited them from my Grandmother. She always had them in her flower bed along with some of those old glass insulators from along the railroad tracks. I made sure I got them so I could keep them in my garden for her.

BigVanVader May 4, 2017 08:04 PM

Yeah dude your garden looks amazing. Very nice and grats!

bower May 4, 2017 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=Randall;637170]Aww, thanks!

I wish those morels were real, hahahah.

Unfortunately, they're the inedible, ornamental variety. I inherited them from my Grandmother. She always had them in her flower bed along with some of those old glass insulators from along the railroad tracks. I made sure I got them so I could keep them in my garden for her.[/QUOTE]

Aw... you coulda fooled me! I've never eaten a morel. :oops:
We have a few of those rocket fuel ones, 'false morel' they call it. Your ornamental ones, they look just like the blonde edibles to me (from a picture book, natch!) ;)

countyhoosier May 7, 2017 12:18 AM

are those Toscana strawberries? If so how do they taste. Everything looks awesome.

Randall May 7, 2017 07:46 AM

[QUOTE=countyhoosier;637697]are those Toscana strawberries? If so how do they taste. Everything looks awesome.[/QUOTE]

Oh, garsh. Thank you!

They are an everbearing variety. I seem to remember the word "Rose" being in the name.

This is their second season. I plucked blossoms last year so I havent' gotten to give them an honest taste test.

Once I get a few nice ripe ones, I'll report back :)

jtjmartin May 7, 2017 09:09 AM

A M A Z I N G ! This is my first year "really" growing garlic. Ahhh, mine do not look like yours! Tips?

Randall May 7, 2017 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=jtjmartin;637744]A M A Z I N G ! This is my first year "really" growing garlic. Ahhh, mine do not look like yours! Tips?[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

I more or less follow this information and plant out when the weather cools in the Fall.

[url]http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/homegardening/scene568b.html[/url]

I mix a good bit of compost into the bed before plant out.

I keep it mulched heavily and pull weeds if necessary and I feed it once every two weeks in the Spring with a diluted (1 tsp per gallon) liquid fertilizer (Foxfarm Grow Big).

Randall May 7, 2017 02:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A shot of how the Ghost Pepper plant is doing this Spring