Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Pandora's Box (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20652)

frogsleap farm December 23, 2011 12:16 PM

Pandora's Box

2 Attachment(s)
Last summer one of my breeding lines generated a unique segregant that really got my attention. Orange and striped on the outside, and bright lime green inside. Working name is Pandora's Box.

cornbreadlouie December 23, 2011 02:53 PM

Whoa that looks amazing. Lemme know if you ever want somebody to grow it!!!

Really cool color combination.

Raffles December 23, 2011 03:10 PM

How was the flavor?

frogsleap farm December 23, 2011 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=Raffles;244902]How was the flavor?[/QUOTE]

Taste was very good. The only negative, and it's an important one here in MN, is that this plant was very late. I'm hoping I can find segregants in the next generation that are stable for the color combo and with earlier fruit.

Wi-sunflower December 23, 2011 05:21 PM

Could the lateness be partly the blame of the cool crummy weather we had last "summer" ??

I know here in Wi, we didn't really have a spring and summer didn't get here til about mid to late July.

Maybe with a normal summer it will be more of a normal ripe time.

Carol

frogsleap farm December 24, 2011 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=Wi-sunflower;244914]Could the lateness be partly the blame of the cool crummy weather we had last "summer" ??

I know here in Wi, we didn't really have a spring and summer didn't get here til about mid to late July.

Maybe with a normal summer it will be more of a normal ripe time.

Carol[/QUOTE]

Yep, not an ideal year. To complicate comparisons in earliness, a late spring hail storm took off the growing points on half my plants. KBX was one of the parents and is pretty late here, so that's partly why I assumed the worst.

tessa December 24, 2011 08:46 AM

i volunteer to try them out down here where the summer is 6 months long!

Shane December 24, 2011 09:38 AM

Very nice id love to give it a try

ill contact you

S

Fred Hempel December 24, 2011 12:17 PM

Was it productive once it got going?

doublehelix December 24, 2011 02:22 PM

That's a lot of recessive genes going on there. Good catch.

carolyn137 December 24, 2011 02:40 PM

Remind mind me Mark, what was it that flew out of Pandora's box when it was opened?;)

frogsleap farm December 24, 2011 03:02 PM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;245034]Remind mind me Mark, what was it that flew out of Pandora's box when it was opened?;)[/QUOTE]

In the myth, the opening of Pandora's Box introduced evil into the world. My intent was to capture the notion that you can't tell a book by it's cover - or the inside of a tomato from the outside.

frogsleap farm December 24, 2011 03:11 PM

Carolyn - you've got me second guessing myself on the name. I'll let this simmer for a while, it won't be stable for a couple of years.

salix December 24, 2011 03:24 PM

Frogsleap - is there already a tomato named Surprise!?

Raffles December 24, 2011 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=frogsleap farm;245047]Carolyn - you've got me second guessing myself on the name. I'll let this simmer for a while, it won't be stable for a couple of years.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm showing my age but since it isn't really a true red as much as it looks like one, how about "Fellow Traveler"?