Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   CHOPTAG™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   First Regular season T-sandwich tonight! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=5877)

Earl July 12, 2007 08:54 PM

First Regular season T-sandwich tonight!

Comprised of Paul Robeson, Maiden's Kiss, and Berkeley Tie Dye. First bite nearly made me swoon. I how the rest of you are about ready to or are doing it too? These three were my first 3 to ripen, excluding cherries and 2 early types.

maryinoregon July 12, 2007 09:54 PM

I'm not anywhere near close out here in Oregon, but it's nice to read about people who are eating garden fresh tomatoes. Which one did you like best Earl?

Earl July 13, 2007 07:17 PM

Hi, Mary. A tie between Robeson and should be [>Pink< Berkeley Tie Dye]. Both have assertive flavor.

Likeopene July 13, 2007 07:22 PM

Hi Earl - I know the feeling, I just recently had my first tomato of the season... a Burpee 4th of July (it was 6 days late, LOL!). It was heaven! Nothing like a tomato right off the vine!

maryinoregon July 14, 2007 04:54 PM

Always glad to get your impression of how a tomato tastes. We seem to like most of the same stuff. I have some Paul Robeson seeds that I have never opened. No Pink Berkley Tie Dye. Sounds like fun. My first to ripen after the cherries looks like it will be Aunt Gertie's Gold. Keep on with the tomato tasting. I will just have to live vicariously reading about tomato eating until August by the looks of my garden. :(

Tom_Ato July 14, 2007 10:05 PM

My mouth's watering Earl. I have one sungold starting to ripen, but I'm at least 2-3 weeks away from anything else.

Ken

Thomas July 15, 2007 12:18 PM

I ate my first ever BTD today...it was outstanding:) I also pulled a Brandy Boy, Noir de Crimee, Black prince, Spudatula Black, Yellow Perfection, Rose De Berne, and several cherries.

I had an unfortunate chain of events that kept me from making the plant swap....But I am gonna do my best to make it to the tastefest...

Earl, do you think there is much taste difference between the pink BTD and the original?

Earl July 15, 2007 07:40 PM

Thomas,
I've only tasted the Pink as Brad told me the picture I sent him was Pink Berkeley Tie Dye not Berkeley Tie Dye. I messed up labeling them I reckon. All you'd have to have done was email and I'd have been over to help taste those you picked.

If you don't make it to the tastefest, sorry we didn't give you enough time to plant on being there. :-)

Ken, does that mean I'd better turn on my security system? :-) I've been teaching LeRoy to drag the dummies down to the police station at night instead of bringing them to the house and roaring to wake me up to finishing off the intruders.

Mary, you need to move to Ohio. :-)

Thomas July 15, 2007 07:49 PM

I have had plenty of notice ;) If I dont make it I will bury my head in the sand:oops:

So how do you keep your mouth from swelling up to the point you cant talk? I sampled about 7 different varieties of the 50 I have planted and thought my tounge was gonna puff up and fall off:lol:

tjg911 July 16, 2007 09:52 AM

earl,

i've picked a dozen or so sun golds but nothing else.

this weekend on my azoychka plant i saw that 1 tomato is getting very yellow! i have 2 others turning yellow but aren't as close as this one. i'm thinking either by this weekend or 10 days at the most azoychka will have slicing tomatoes for a sandwich!

i also noticed that grandfather ashlock has 1 tomato that is definately turning pinkish so that one may be also ready by the weekend or in about 10 days too.

i'm so excited i could explode!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

tom

Miss_Mudcat July 17, 2007 03:00 PM

So far I've harvested and eaten Black Sea Man, Sioux, Red Barn, Fireball and Noire de Crimmee. I have an Eva Purple Ball, Clint Eastwood's RR, Levino and Manyel sitting on the counter for taste-testing tonight. I grew a few hybrids this year which I've also been harvesting: 4th of July, Early Girl, Better Boy, and Sungold (<- yucky too sweet!) And of course the earlies, Kimberly, Lime Green Salad and Taxi.

I've had just a few cherries at a time including Red Fig, Black Cherry, Dr. Carolyn, Galina's Yellow and Mexico Midget.

I've got a few blushing including Sunset's Red Horizon and Brandywine OTV.

It's an exciting time of year!!

Lisa

Earl July 17, 2007 07:13 PM

Yes, Miss Mudcat, it is an exciting time of year!!! I had a Levino with lunch, Oh my, Lady, what a tomato! Got a great big ol' Wes we gonna have with supper. :-)

Tom_Ato July 20, 2007 03:40 PM

Hey Earl, If I happened to be walking by your garden there's a good chance you see me eating one right off the vine. I guess I'll just have to contend with LeRoy. --Ken