Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Same old, same old (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=51772)

materlvr March 11, 2024 09:54 PM

Same old, same old

Well, we just planted our standard heirloom tomatos.

Brandywine
Brandywine Red
Mortgage Lifter
Kelloggs Breakfast
Cherokee Purple

I’ve been such a tomato rut. Is there any new heirlooms I should consider for next year?

VirginiaClay March 11, 2024 10:54 PM

[QUOTE=materlvr;772151]Well, we just planted our standard heirloom tomatos.

Brandywine
Brandywine Red
Mortgage Lifter
Kelloggs Breakfast
Cherokee Purple

I’ve been such a tomato rut. Is there any new heirlooms I should consider for next year?[/QUOTE]
Nothing wrong with growing the ones you know you love! Have you tried Bolgarskoe Chudo, Oaxacan Jewel, Summer Cider, or Polish (Ellis)? I've also enjoyed Lucky Cross, Armenian, Rebel Yell, Italian Sweet, and Ananas Noire.

Labradors2 March 12, 2024 08:07 AM

Orange Strawberry (a large heart) was the best-tasting tomato in my garden last year :)

Linda

Yak54 March 12, 2024 11:41 AM

Plus one for Polish, Lucky Cross, & Rebel Yell !!! :)

decherdt March 12, 2024 12:24 PM

I started only purple varieties and later wished I had started some hearts also.
Went ahead and ordered some seeds for hearts for next year.

Tormato March 12, 2024 02:12 PM

Brandywine
Brandywine Red
Mortgage Lifter
Kelloggs Breakfast
Cherokee Purple

I’ve been such a tomato rut. Is there any new heirlooms I should consider for next year?[/QUOTE]

The best "new to me" variety that I've tried is Dester. And, that was new to me about 5 years ago. I find it far superior to Mortgage Lifter. Not new to me, but also far superior, in my opinion, is Stump Of The World. Both are pinks, like ML.

Brandywine (Sudduth), Kellogg's Breakfast, and Cherokee Purple are really good choices for standard, every year, varieties.

I've never had much luck with any of the red Brandywines. I find Neves Azorean Red a much better tomato. Another red that I'm partial to is Bacon Lettuce and This, since it was discovered in my garden.

To get out of the rut, perhaps a color change? Something like Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, or Girl Girl's Weird Thing?

dot520 March 12, 2024 02:50 PM

The two that must be in my garden each year is Captain Lucky and Cosmonaut Volkov. There are so many really wonderful new varieties and ones that I haven't tried but those two will never lose a place in the line up.

Yak54 March 12, 2024 05:37 PM

To echo our friend Tormato, Dester and Stump of the World are both superior and have been on my "grow every year" list for 7 or 8 years now. :)

materlvr March 12, 2024 07:16 PM

Thanks so much for your recommendations. I’m going to plant seeds for Green Giant next year, can’t find seedlings anywhere��

Tormato March 12, 2024 10:13 PM

My favorite green, and I generally don't like green tomatoes.

MrsJustice March 16, 2024 09:50 PM

Brandywine
Brandywine Red
Mortgage Lifter
Kelloggs Breakfast
Cherokee Purple

That's a great list to start with each year, Amen!! But, I would add Santorini for its taste, beauty, and super yields. I must also have Hawaiian Pineapple and Hill Billy Tomatoes. I can go on and on. After last year's heat wave; I will always have "Lescana" because the heat did not affect these large tomato plants at all. nor their yields

Tormato March 18, 2024 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=MrsJustice;772195]That's a great list to start with each year, Amen!! But, I would add Santorini for its taste, beauty, and super yields. I must also have Hawaiian Pineapple and Hill Billy Tomatoes. I can go on and on. After last year's heat wave; I will always have "Lescana" because the heat did not affect these large tomato plants at all. nor their yields[/QUOTE]

Lescana Heart, or Lescana Beefsteak?

MrsJustice March 18, 2024 10:11 AM

They are Lescna Beefstesks. I was growing them for cold-warm weather for my future Winter Tomatoes supply for my Planned Greenhouse. I was in shock to see that they also truly survived very hot weather like last Summer.