Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   F1 Seed company? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=33687)

snugglekitten August 19, 2014 06:47 PM

F1 Seed company?

Hi guys,

I have been breeding for several years now, and I am at the point where I have unique germoplasm to work with which helps create new breeds for flavor and disease resistence.

Does anyone have experience selling f1 seed?

Do I need a license? Do I need to allow anyone to inspect the seed first?

thanks in advance.

SK

snugglekitten August 20, 2014 03:02 PM

Bump - no one want to share a bit of experience on their seed companies?

I may just have something good for ya... ;):yes:

Fred Hempel August 20, 2014 06:50 PM

Licensing and inspecting issues are pretty specific to the country of residence. I don't think anyone here can help with Polish rules and regulations.

And most folks here don't sell F1 seed.

snugglekitten August 21, 2014 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;428500]Licensing and inspecting issues are pretty specific to the country of residence. I don't think anyone here can help with Polish rules and regulations.

And most folks here don't sell F1 seed.[/QUOTE]

Is F1 seed around here taboo?

Like flyfishermen keeping trout for breakfast?

snugglekitten August 21, 2014 10:27 AM

[QUOTE=snugglekitten;428561]Is F1 seed around here taboo?

Like flyfishermen keeping trout for breakfast?[/QUOTE]

Thing is, if I sell OP seed, I am just taking other people's work and mimicking it until the profit margin reaches zero...then everyone stops selling OP seed, and how is that helping anyone?

Fred Hempel August 21, 2014 10:33 AM

F1 seed is certainly not taboo for me.

It is just that F1 seed sellers are typically not the staple of the mom & pop seed companies who are represented here.

There are, now that I think of it though, folks who do seem to be producing F1 hybrids here. But not on a large scale.

I think the main reason you are not getting responses is still that most of us who sell seed have no idea what we would have to do to sell seed in Poland.

KarenO August 21, 2014 10:36 AM

Comment removed as it was not the answer being looked for apparently. Have a nice day.

Fred Hempel August 21, 2014 10:39 AM

I don't think anyone is arguing that you should sell OP seed, or that you should not sell F1 seed.

And most folks who prefer OP seed, can't resist an exceptional hybrid.

I also am more and more convinced that hybrids are often the friend of small and medium-sized farmers who are trying to make money growing tomatoes and also trying to minimize disease risk, and loss due to spoilage.

And, I don't think OP seed will stop being sold anytime soon.

[QUOTE=snugglekitten;428562]Thing is, if I sell OP seed, I am just taking other people's work and mimicking it until the profit margin reaches zero...then everyone stops selling OP seed, and how is that helping anyone?[/QUOTE]

Fred Hempel August 21, 2014 10:41 AM

Karen,

I think she is just looking for a business template, but that that is better found by calling her chamber of commerce or department of agriculture -- or whoever governs businesses and specifically seed companies in Poland.

carolyn137 August 21, 2014 10:43 AM

SK, I think this link, which is a sticky in this Forum discusses OP vs F1, compensation to breeders and so much more, may be of interest to you.

[url]http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=27892[/url]

Carolyn

snugglekitten August 21, 2014 07:22 PM

Business template yes, the whole rest...not really....

Worth1 August 21, 2014 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=snugglekitten;428562]Thing is, if I sell OP seed, I am just taking other people's work and mimicking it until the profit margin reaches zero...then everyone stops selling OP seed, and how is that helping anyone?[/QUOTE]

It would help me because I would start selling OP seeds.
I would be the only one doing it so I would get rich.:yes:

Then everyone else would get in on the action and start selling OP seeds.

Right before my profit margins go down I woukd sell out and retire.

Works for me.:roll:

Worth

kurt August 21, 2014 07:39 PM

What exactly are your intentions?
What is it that might be good"for ya".
Your dialogue and replys are somewhat vague...evasive... and confusing.
I do know for import to the USA you would need a Phytosanitary Certificate through our Customs if it would be live seeds in quantitys.
What part of Poland are you from?

[url]http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/ourfocus/importexport[/url]

carolyn137 August 21, 2014 10:34 PM

I can only echo what Kurt wrote above, b/c at this point I don't know what kind of information you want.

Initially you posted in the Market Garden Forum and I sent you here.

[url]http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=428366#post428366[/url]

Then you asked about licenses, etc., and Fred answered you and said that that kind of information pertains to what you're doing in Poland/

Then I put up the link above and you said it was a business plan and essentially the rest was not useful/

Somehow I got the impression that you were close to getting some F1 hybrids and that it was a business plan that you were looking for.

I also am confused as to your intentions.

Could you please share with us:

How close you are to releasing some F1 hybrid seed for sale.

Would they be for sale in Poland or elsewhere and if the latter where?

Wherever it is that you plan to sell F1 seed do they have requirements of challenge tests to be done for any disease tolerances you've bred in and are claiming? I spoke to that issue in the Market Garden link above

Several folks have tried to help you, including myself, but none of us seem to be able to do so, that satisfies you.

Which is why I'm asking the questions above, not just for me, but for all those who have tried to answer you.

Thanks in advance for some clarification.

Carolyn

Tom Wagner August 22, 2014 03:32 AM

SK, I didn't really want to respond to your questions as I am deep in the process of extracting seed of newly made F-1's. The latest out of the sink is an F-1 of Verde Claro X Latah which has only 16 seeds. Another between F-4 Santa x Beyond Verde Claro has only eight seed. How does one market such few seed? I have thousands of privately made F-1 seed but who would want them? And who would pay what they truly need to be priced at?

As mentioned in other posts, F-1 seed made by hobbyists are the gateway to getting larger amounts of seed at the F-2 level. Selling F-2 seed makes sense....lots of segregation and hopes of creating a eventually stable OP line in five or more generations of selfing.

[QUOTE]I have been breeding for several years now, and I am at the point where I have unique germoplasm to work with which helps create new breeds for flavor and disease resistence.[/QUOTE] Go ahead and cross to your heart's content. Maybe a few will get both your attention and your neighbors. If flavor and disease resistance is proven enough for your satisfaction....then prove it in an F-1. Many F-1's aren't going to attract any attention unless it is outstanding in a novel way also...color...shape...etc.

Does anyone have experience selling f1 seed?
I kinda do that with my websites in the past but in custom orders. I can't satisfy the customer base with a single hybrid since I don't have a hundred packets to send out.

[QUOTE]Do I need a license? Do I need to allow anyone to inspect the seed first?
[/QUOTE]
Starting out...no, you don't need a license! And no, I wouldn't allow anyone to inspect your seed first. Start small and when you get larger or run afoul of some government agency...change the course as necessary. No one has enough time and money to start out with all kinds of permits and inspections. You have to grow the business into the regulations...little by little.

As I gave talks all over Europe a few years ago....one of the over-riding difficulties in most of Europe was how to register new varieties and be approved as a seller and/or grower of registered varieties. Not registered? You would be breaking the law. Now I am talking OP varieties....think of the nightmare of trying to register a hybrid that has not met paperwork demands.

If I have your attention, SK, go the the sites below to get an idea of the hell big international seed companies have made for us small dealers.

[url]http://www.worldseed.org/isf/on_intellectual_property.html[/url]

Reading many of the topics regarding large seed companies protocol on subjects such as proprietary hybrids, intellectual property, etc., is surely enough to give one pause about venturing into the seed business with OP or hybrid seed.
SK, since you are in Poland…try to find out about the meeting taking place in Krakow next year…see below..

[QUOTE]World Seed Congress 2015 - Sharing Passion for Nature!

The ISF World Seed Congress 2015 will take place in Kraków, Poland on 25-27 May 2015. Registration will open on 6 Jan 2015 at 11.00 h (GMT). For more information, see [url]www.worldseedcongress2015.com[/url].
At the ★★★★★★★★ of major European routes and at the heart of the Old World, Poland has seen a strong growth in sustainable agriculture in the last decade and is recognised worldwide for its high quality food.
Kraków is a vibrant city which exudes life and magical atmosphere in day and night alike.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]The International Seed Federation together with the Polish Seed Trade Association warmly invites you to Kraków to share passion for nature and agriculture.[/QUOTE]

The Polish Seed Trade Association might offer some advice but be aware that they are likely geared to large established seed companies…not start ups.

[QUOTE]Contact details
Name Polish Seed Trade Association
Type Ordinary Member
Address Ul. Kochanowskiego 7, P. 603
60845 Poznan
Country Poland
Telephone +48 61 848 49 54
Fax +48 61 848 49 54
Web [url]www.pin.org.pl[/url][/QUOTE]

The website is in Polish..so best of luck.