Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Wetzel Oxheart (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46083)

MadCow333 October 10, 2017 03:21 PM

Wetzel Oxheart

5 Attachment(s)
Wetzel Oxheart seed that I bought locally. My plants stalled during the unusually cool summer. Now that we have an nice bit of Indian summer, I am finally seeing some of these start to mature. All of them have been more oval and lobed and beefsteak in appearance, not a well-shaped oxheart like the picture on the envelope. None of the ripe ones has retained green shoulders, either.

Here are some pictures of my battered plants. All of my plants were smaller than usual, and made smaller tomatoes than expected. Bacterial spot is a huge problem in the Penn-Ohio region this year, too.

Sun City Linda October 11, 2017 01:05 AM

Looks like you'll have some ripe ones soon.....

carolyn137 October 11, 2017 11:15 AM

Ok, Wetzel is the name of the seed company and I look at the picture and see some heart shapes and beefsteak shapes as well and they don't mention the origin of those seeds at all.

So it looks to me like what they might be selling are crossed seeds, but I don't even know if they grow their own plants to save seeds from or buy in bulk and repackage,lousy sentence that,but that's where it is for me this AM.:lol:

Carolyn

MadCow333 November 1, 2017 10:28 AM

There are more than one plant in those pots. Usually two, but I bury them deep when planting and they often send up extra stems after that. Didn't get any toms that looked different from these. I do think the seeds were a mix, because I got more beefsteak type and zero that looked like the hearts on the envelope, haha. I am going to find some Italian hearts or other European heart seeds for next year. I think I'll get off my duff and switch to raised beds next year, too. I had to tie containers together this year so all the storms wouldn't continuously tip them over.

carolyn137 November 1, 2017 11:25 AM

[QUOTE=MadCow333;670109]There are more than one plant in those pots. Usually two, but I bury them deep when planting and they often send up extra stems after that. Didn't get any toms that looked different from these. I do think the seeds were a mix, because I got more beefsteak type and zero that looked like the hearts on the envelope, haha. I am going to find some Italian hearts or other European heart seeds for next year. I think I'll get off my duff and switch to raised beds next year, too. I had to tie containers together this year so all the storms wouldn't continuously tip them over.[/QUOTE]

Let me make a modest, I hope,suggestion.

Go to the WANTED seed subforum and ask for the names of hearts that are others like and maybe if anyone has seeds for them but the seed part gets complicated in terms of asking them to PM you for your home address,,name your color(s) since they come in several colors, and ask for suggestions,I wouldn't put Europe as a suggestion although yes,many were from there, but there are many that were also developed in the US and Canada and elsewhere.

Carolyn,the heart lover who at last count had grown close to maybe 400 varieties BUT most of the saved seeds are too old to share with anyone.