Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Potatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Received Tom taters sampler today! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=14199)

wmontanez April 19, 2010 05:48 PM

Received Tom taters sampler today!

I am very excited to grow Tom's potatoes. I prep'd an area today of 8ft by 10ft for Tom's taters to put them next to My TPS seedlings raised bed, they are doing good but I haven't put them in the soil yet. I have a raised bed of 4ft by 8 ft for 12plants and Yukon Gold and the unknown mother of my TPS. It might be too much to fit in that small area... let's see how they look but I only have limited space. My weather is MA is being from rainy to hot to cold again so I am waiting until the end of April beggining of May to plant the seeds. Anyway I can't wait to grow them, I got Skagit Valley Gold, Nordic October, Amey Russet and Mule Skinner Blues. And also Blue Rockies,Lumper Nordic, Reiche Tom, 225710 Sarpo Finger and some others like [I]Boy Pig x Red Thumb[/I], [I]Adirondacksen x Kern Toro[/I], "A" that is clone of [I]Cosima x Tom Kaighin[/I] and a Lumper. :yes:

Ps.I copied the info on SVG, Amey, NO and MSB from other post to AZgirl, Tom is any thing else you can tell me about the others? Thanks!

goodwin April 19, 2010 10:59 PM

I got mine last week, all carefully labeled, and planted out on Saturday, near the new moon like my dad learned from his dad and which is almost certainly superstition, but I like the tradition. The cut potatoes covered the whole kitchen counter, which my wife surveyed with either wonder or concern. She was struck speechless, so it must have been in admiration of Tom's work. We will have to all compare notes as the season progresses.
Lee

wmontanez April 20, 2010 07:47 AM

Certaintly! I would like to compare notes :) I am a potato newbie

Moon planting has some true to it... my adventure with a gigantic pumpkin plant with not a single fruit is testimony...my dad told me "did you planted in new moon?" And I looked into my notes and there it was: EXACTLY on the day I sow the seed and a month later transplanted it EXACTLY on the new moon day. According to him "3 days before or after crescent moon" was better for it... will try this year to see the difference myself.

Tom Wagner April 20, 2010 11:14 AM

For some reason I seem to be guilty of this witticism....There is no such thing as a [I]stupid question[/I], just stupid people who [I]ask[/I] [B]...questions!
[/B][quote]cut potatoes covered the whole kitchen counter, which my wife surveyed with either wonder or concern. She was struck speechless,[/quote] I have asked so many questions to myself that I am not surprised is someone is struck speechless.....Why in the world would one create such.....?

Now if I left cut potatoes in the kitchen ...my wife would not be struck speechless, let me tell you....... and admiration is the furthermost thought in her head. lol.

[quote]225710, Sarpo Finger and some others like [I]Boy Pig x Red Thumb[/I], [I]Adirondacksen x Kern Toro[/I][/quote]First of all I like the [URL="http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/acchtml.pl?1181434"] PI 225710 - Solanum phureja subsp. phureja - CCC 278 - Cauca, Colombia [/URL]
It is a selected clone out of the above accession either through sib mated seed or closely related PI numbered crosses. It came from a garden in Colombia back over 62 years ago and represents one of the best of the phureja type potatoes. It keeps well and the color is fun...purple skin with ....

Adirondacksen is a cross of Adirondack Blue and Redsen, a cross I made 6 years ago. The cross of Adirondacksen crossed to Kern Toro was made 4 years ago. The true seed was grown out as seedlings two years ago and I like it because the skin is so red and the pink flesh is appealing.

Boy Pig is one of the crosses I made 6 years ago between one of my Boyd series of reds to a POR02PG9 seedling line that now combines tetraploid and diploid pedigrees. It was a light red skin, very yellow flesh potato with unique flavors. The cross to Red Thumb was just another attempt to get unique fingerlings into the fray. I sent a yellow clone to a member here and a red clone to Chris C. who may be a member here also.

Sarpo Finger is pronouced Sharpo Finger and it is a mauve/pink skinned fingerling with some noted Late Blight resistance. The mother of it is Sarpo Mira and I think there is some wild species in the background of Mira because of the fingerling shape!

Enough of the background of these lines...I know I am boring some people to the nth degree!

Tom Wagner

wmontanez April 20, 2010 02:55 PM

thanks

I will never be bored of knowing or learning! I specially enjoy every minute while reading your posts.

I am very interested to taste now the phureja and knowing this goes back 62 years into your breeding efforts make me feel "special" to have a piece of it.

I will take good notes and pics in case you want some information of how they do in New England. Last year we had the late blight and most of the potato and tomato from Maine down to Conneticut was devastated. Mine were not affected since I collect the TPS and grow my tomatoes from seed.

Anyway...I am very grateful you send me a red one inside!

Tom Wagner April 20, 2010 03:01 PM

WENDY,

Thanks for your post. I am going to build up my red fleshed potatoes this year, therefore, many new lines will be available next year.

Tom Wagner

azgirl April 20, 2010 03:03 PM

Count me in on the comparing notes as well! I have mine started in containers (garbage cans). First time with trying potatoes. I'm waiting a little while to start my TPS. It's starting to get too hot here.

Also, count me as one who enjoys reading the information you provide, Tom! I am learning a lot from your posts.

Farmette April 20, 2010 05:00 PM

Got my potatoes from Tom yesterday and am anxious to plant them.
Thanks alot Tom...I am sure this will be an interesting adventure!
Chris

wmontanez April 20, 2010 08:36 PM

[SIZE=2]AZgirl, I got some the same as you. For sure will like to compare notes. Our weather is very different. Will be fun, I am a little behind starting. First time with TPS also (I saved my own, that is how I found this forum I had no idea of TPS before finding the berries). [/SIZE][SIZE=2]I started some more in April they are about 1/4in inches tall. Try some now and some later until you find your perfect seeding time frame for your area. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]F[/SIZE][SIZE=2]armette and Goodwin which ones did you get? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I would you like to compare with all of you. I will be adding the progress once they start growing. [/SIZE];)

Wendy

wmontanez April 25, 2010 08:34 PM

Planting Tom Taters

1 Attachment(s)
Planted Tom Tater's this weekend in 2 rows of 18-24in apart and 12in spacing. Once they grow to about 6in tall then I am starting to hill them, the cinder blocks are to give me access to the plants and the raised bed at the end of the rows.

Farmette April 26, 2010 12:07 AM

Hi there!
I got:
Boy Big X Red Thumb red
Blue Rockies
Adirondacksen X Kern Toro
Amey
Mule Skinner Blues
Reiche Tom
Clone of Cosima X Tom Kaighin
Lumper
Lumper Nordic
Marcy
Skagit Valley Gold
Nordic October
Sarpo Finger

Haven't planted yet. Rained all weekend. I am hoping there is time, but it has been years since I planted potatoes, so I am just guessing.

wmontanez April 26, 2010 07:36 AM

Hello Farmette, we got almost the types, the only diffent in your list is Marcy and I have a 225710 (phureja). We could compare pictures and notes. I am in zone6 what zone are you in?

Farmette April 26, 2010 10:38 AM

I am in zone 5. And I think I have the 225710 that you listed also.

wmontanez April 26, 2010 01:25 PM

Oh good. I will keep you posted here of the progress. Really looking forward to this growing season :) I am also planting some of the potato tubers from my TPS plants. I have about 10 seed tubers and few more TPS seedlings to go directly in the ground. For that I am waiting probably to the first week or second week of May. The weather in MA is erratic in spring, some days 85F and the next day 40F and wet.

GunnarSK April 26, 2010 03:34 PM

[quote=wmontanez;166625]Oh good. I will keep you posted here of the progress. Really looking forward to this growing season :) I am also planting some of the potato tubers from my TPS plants. I have about 10 seed tubers and few more TPS seedlings to go directly in the ground. For that I am waiting probably to the first week or second week of May. The weather in MA is erratic in spring, some days 85F and the next day 40F and wet.[/quote]I'm growing potatoes from TPS the first time this year, and I had good germination on both Tom's TPS (not directly from him) and the ones from Durgan at Idig (Russian Blue growout with no crossing, but I will be on the lookout for purple tubers), and no tubers or plants will go into the ground before the second half of May (frost risk). Any results (especially interesting ones) will be posted at this site.