Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Alliums (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Planting garlic in ... January?? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48527)

Soilsniffer January 1, 2019 05:46 PM

Planting garlic in ... January??

I did it. I had a bunch left over. I planted about 300 back in Oct and Nov, and I decided to try one last batch now since I still had > 50 cloves left.

So, a few hours ago, I planted about 50 cloves of Legacy, and maybe 20 Music.

Has anyone planted garlic this late? Results?

Thx
J

jtjmartin January 1, 2019 06:31 PM

Hey Soilsniffer:

I'm just an hour down the road. I usually pick up some different garlic varieties at the Virginia Beach flower show (mid-January) and immediately plant them.

I've never seen much difference between them and the November-planted.

In years that have a warm early winter - where the garlic tops grow tall - only to be nailed by a cold late winter the January-garlic does better.

Jeff

MdTNGrdner January 1, 2019 08:04 PM

I was just wondering if it was too late; haven't got mine out yet with all the rain, so I'll follow in your footsteps and just plant late. Good luck to us! :twisted:

Good info Jeff, thanks!

rxkeith January 1, 2019 09:02 PM

never tried it here.

we usually have 3 ft or more of snow on frozen ground, makes it kinda hard.

i have been told that as long as you can dig the ground, you can plant garlic.

i'm just not willing to go to extreme measures to do so.:no:

keith

pmcgrady January 1, 2019 09:35 PM

I plant in fall (October), but you can plant it whenever you want, even spring. Just expect smaller cloves.

Nan_PA_6b January 2, 2019 04:41 PM

I planted garlic in early November(?). It is up, about 3-4 inches. I'm worried. We've had temps down to single digits briefly, and up to 50, mostly hovering around freezing.

pmcgrady January 2, 2019 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;722838]I planted garlic in early November(?). It is up, about 3-4 inches. I'm worried. We've had temps down to single digits briefly, and up to 50, mostly hovering around freezing.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any straw or mulch around it? It's Tuff but a blanket over it for winter never hurts.

Nan_PA_6b January 2, 2019 07:40 PM

I did put some pine needles over it; I could re-mound them up. Also have a few leaves. The only other thing I've got is dirt-like compost to bury them in.

Soilsniffer January 4, 2019 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=jtjmartin;722762]Hey Soilsniffer:

I'm just an hour down the road. I usually pick up some different garlic varieties at the Virginia Beach flower show (mid-January) and immediately plant them.

I've never seen much difference between them and the November-planted.

Jeff[/QUOTE]

That is good information, thanks very much.

GoDawgs January 6, 2019 10:53 AM

I'm glad to see this post as I've been toying with the idea of planting more garlic soon. With all the rain, all of a sudden the tops of some of my October planted garlic are starting to yellow. :? I have extra cloves that are in good shape so I will plant some out there tomorrow just to see how they do.