Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Anyone grow Sweet Success cucumbers? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=32607)

Elliot June 1, 2014 01:26 AM

Anyone grow Sweet Success cucumbers?

I ordered some seeds

RebelRidin June 1, 2014 07:56 AM

This will be the third year I have grown them. If your plants are happy get ready for the onslaught of a lot of monster cukes!

Wi-sunflower June 1, 2014 10:43 AM

I used to grow them but the price of seeds the last several years turned me off. They are nice and generally seed free or almost. Good early and late in the greenhouse.

Carol

dpurdy June 1, 2014 11:42 AM

Elliot,
I don't think that you'll be disappointed when you grow out the seeds. :yes:It's the only cucumber that I grow these days. They have the sweetest flavor and fewest seeds of any cucumber that I've grown. I get the best results by trellising the cukes.
dpurdy

Jaysan June 3, 2014 05:35 PM

Love them here. Picked two today!

rnewste June 3, 2014 06:29 PM

Where is a good (reasonable priced) website to get Sweet Success seeds? Gurneys wants $10.00 for 15 seed packets!:shock:

thanks,

Raybo:)

Jaysan June 3, 2014 07:01 PM

10 bucks for one pack? WOW!

Burpee sells a 20 seed packet for 4.95

dpurdy June 3, 2014 08:27 PM

Raybo,
I purchase mine from Jung seeds. Their $3.95 per pack.
dpurdy

RebelRidin June 3, 2014 09:32 PM

[QUOTE=rnewste;414379]Where is a good (reasonable priced) website to get Sweet Success seeds? Gurneys wants $10.00 for 15 seed packets!:shock:

thanks,

Raybo:)[/QUOTE]

As noted Jungs' is the best deal on them. I used to shop Gurney's a lot but their pricing was getting ridiculous starting some years ago. Last order I placed with them was five years ago. Probably will be the last ever. Same is true of Henry Fields, which interestingly appears to be more or less the same vendor and website as Gurney, simply rebranded. The company my parents knew and I knew for years no longer exists.

luigiwu August 19, 2014 08:40 PM

Recs for a cucumber that produces and is never bitter?

oopsy wrong place

Elliot August 19, 2014 08:54 PM

I bought them for less at Burpee seeds

Cole_Robbie August 19, 2014 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used to grow them in 5-gallon buckets. I would get one good crop, and then I think they would get rootbound and quit on me. They are the only cuke I have ever enjoyed eating.

luigiwu August 19, 2014 09:33 PM

Cole, That looks good - I only do container gardening so hearing what you said, I'm going to try a root pouch (with air pruning) with them next year then! How many cukes is considered "a good crop" for you? and how many plants is that?

Cole_Robbie August 19, 2014 09:41 PM

I had about five 5-gallon buckets, and probably got 3 times what is in that pic as a total crop. They are great in the greenhouse, since they are self-pollinating. The first year I grew them was a warm winter, and I had them to sell by April 1st, well before my last frost date. The seeds are virtually non-existent when greenhouse grown, so they are very mild to eat, the most burpless cuke you can get.

A slice of Sweet Success on top of a cracker with cream cheese and drizzled in Srirachi hot chili sauce is some gourmet stuff.

peppero August 20, 2014 07:38 AM

I have grown them but, production was low. They do taste good. Has anyone tried pickling these?

jon:wait: