Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Undercover Gardening™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   2012 Winter Greenhouse Tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25235)

mdvpc October 13, 2012 06:28 PM

2012 Winter Greenhouse Tomatoes

14 Attachment(s)
I planted in 5 gallon buckets using the global bucket method on 9/15. All plants have flowered and Yukon Quest is getting ready to fruit. I used Tomato Tone 3-4-6, 240 ccs, 120 ccs of Espoma cal/mag and 1 tablespoon of Azomite in the growing medium. The mix is Fertilome Ultimate Potting Mix. I gave them a snack one time with FloraNova Grow (4-7-10 with micronutrients), 1 tsp to a gallon of water. Everything looks great. Temps in the greenhouse are averaging 90-95 high, 60 low.

The varieties on the first row are from left to right:

Jade Beauty, Summertime Green, Tastywine F-6, Tastywine Black F-2,Emerald Beauty, Sweet Scarlet F-6, Boronia F-7, Chocolate Lightning F-5, Blazing Beauty F-7, Yukon Quest.

The varieties on the second row are from left to right:

Iditarod Red, Wherokowhai F8, Peppermint Stripes F-5 and Tadesse (the real one from Carolyn, not crossed, RL).

dokutaaguriin October 13, 2012 08:00 PM

Looking very good Michael!

mdvpc October 13, 2012 08:31 PM

Jeff-So far so good!

amideutch October 14, 2012 04:18 AM

Michael, very nice indeed. The Yukon Quest and Iditarod always impressed with their vigor. Will be interested in how the Tastywines turn out. Ami

mdvpc October 14, 2012 08:49 AM

Ami-They really are vigorous, and looks like they will be first to fruit. I will check them this morning. I grew both of the Tastywines last year, the black is from seed saved by me.

mdvpc October 15, 2012 07:08 PM

I was wrong. The first to fruit is my Summertime Green. I think Yukon Quest will be right behind.

Heritage October 15, 2012 10:01 PM

Michael, looks great! Which vial # is your Sweet Scarlett F6 from?

Steve

mdvpc October 16, 2012 08:20 AM

Steve-Its vial 12-112.

mdvpc October 16, 2012 06:29 PM

Jade Beauty was the second to fruit at 31 days from transplant.

maf October 16, 2012 06:33 PM

Very nice!

rnewste October 16, 2012 09:06 PM

Hi Michael,

Your plants look wonderful!!:love:

Was there a reason you went with Fertilome Ultimate Potting Mix? In reading the Spec Sheet at their site, it lists Sphagnum Peat Moss as between 83 to 93% of its composition. Coarse Perlite, Dolomitic and Calcitic Limestone make up the balance. This seems similar to Pro-Mix BX as well as the "original" Sunshine Mix #4.

Just curious as I am searching to replace the Sunshine [B]Advanced[/B] Mix #4 in my InnTainers this Winter, and was leaning toward a Pro-Mix BX (or HP) formulation. The Sunshine Advanced coir based product ran too wet for my liking this Summer. :(

Raybo

mdvpc October 17, 2012 08:06 AM

Raybo

First of all, thanks to you and all your posts with information about swc's-it led me to try swc's. And with my total lack of handiness, even I could make the global buckets.

I can't get the Pro-Mix where I live. I even talked to the rep that has this territory, and he confirmed no-one near here has it. So in looking at the earthbox site and forum, the Fertilome is a recommended mix. It was available in Las Cruces, about 40 miles from here, and I am there often. The price for the 3 cf (its not a compressed 3 cf although) was pretty good-around 16 dollars. If I could get the Pro-Mix, I might use it. But the Fertilome is very light and is really doing great so far.

I considered using the earthbox formula for making my own mix. I might do that next year, when I plan on using mostly, if not all, global buckets. I will have to figure out the cost/hassle of making my own.

rnewste October 17, 2012 01:50 PM

Michael,

$16.00 is a very good price for the Fertilome! I am looking at paying about $37.00 for a 3.8 cu. ft. bale of Pro-Mix HP out here.:evil:

I have tried to locate sources for Fertilome in the San Jose area, but no one seems to carry it in this region. I'll keep looking as it appears to be a very good product with lots of happy customer reviews.

Raybo;)

mdvpc October 17, 2012 02:27 PM

Raybo

Isnt the promix a compressed bale? So it goes a lot further than non-compressed, right?

rnewste October 17, 2012 02:43 PM

Michael,

My personal experience with so-called compressed bales is that when wet, the cubic area shrinks back down to the original size of the bale. The Sunshine Advanced Mix #4 lettering on the bag claims "it fluffs up to 6.0 cubic feet". Well, I have a feather pillow that is about 12 inches tall - yet ends up at 6 inches when in use. Same observation for these compressed bale claims by the Manufacturers. In ACTUAL use, you get no where near the [B]functional[/B] cubic area as claimed in the advertising.:evil:

Raybo