Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Purple underside to my seedlings (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47258)

gimmieToms April 12, 2018 10:54 AM

Purple underside to my seedlings

1 Attachment(s)
Is this because of lack of nutrients?
I just gave them some low strength fertilizer. Do you think that will help? Otherwise they are doing great.

jmsieglaff April 12, 2018 11:03 AM

Mine are always like that, I attribute it to my cool basement (upper 50s). Goes away once they move to the warmer cold frame. Make sure you let them dry out well before watering.

gimmieToms April 12, 2018 11:12 AM

They are in my upstairs bathroom underneath grow lights, its in the 70's usually in there. But it has been unseasonally cold. If the fertilizer doesn't help, then I'll attribute it to the temp.
Yes, I always let them dry right out. Watering every 2-3 days right now.
Thank you

jmsieglaff April 12, 2018 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=gimmieToms;694790]They are in my upstairs bathroom underneath grow lights, its in the 70's usually in there. But it has been unseasonally cold. If the fertilizer doesn't help, then I'll attribute it to the temp.
Yes, I always let them dry right out. Watering every 2-3 days right now.
Thank you[/QUOTE]

Cooler root zone leads to lesser ability to uptake P I believe. But I think your plants look like they are doing fine. A small dose of fertilizer won't hurt, but my money is on temps.

gimmieToms April 12, 2018 11:47 AM

Thank you

mobiledynamics April 13, 2018 08:54 AM

Gimmie -

Based on the 1st pic it looks like they are under CFL.

In my *new* this year experience with LED, the color looks similar with the tops being a very dark green-hint of purple in them.

Between giving them some fertz. with a higher P, and or even taking a couple out and putting them by the window to get some natural sun, the color of the leaves normalized

slugworth April 13, 2018 09:11 AM

when I have the problem it's due to cool conditions.

brownrexx April 13, 2018 10:25 AM

Cool conditions lead to purple on the leaves and the stems too. My seedlings are purple under the leaves and they are in a 70° room that is the same temperature at night too so they never get cold.

I would say that it is a deficiency in the light that they are getting from my fluorescent lights and I am not worried about it. They are growing nicely and I am sure that they will green up once they go outside.

asaump April 13, 2018 11:51 AM

I am new to starting seeds. My little seedlings have the same purple under the leaves and the stems. It does get cool in my basement. Just curious. How old are the seedlings? Would just like to compare mine to yours to see if they are on track.

brownrexx April 13, 2018 02:05 PM

My seedlings are 2 weeks old.

mobiledynamics April 13, 2018 02:20 PM

asaump. As a quick test as well, on a sunny day like it is out here in the Northeasy (calling for 80 tomorrow and then dropping back to 45), put it on a window if your location allows.

I've found that even a day in the window, the leaves color get's right back inline

asaump April 13, 2018 03:48 PM

Great idea - I'll give it a try.
We are up in the 50's today - heat wave - but dropping back into high of thirties tomorrow through the weekend. 'They' tell me spring is coming.

brownrexx April 13, 2018 08:58 PM

Be careful putting your seedlings in direct sun as you can burn them. Just give them a little at a time or put them in some indirect sun.