Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Anyone heard of Northern Nibbler? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25975)

Fusion_power January 4, 2013 12:35 AM

Anyone heard of Northern Nibbler?

I'm expanding the search for cold tolerant tomatoes and bumped into this one in a thread out of Florida. Does anyone know anything about the source? or have seed?

Thanks,

DarJones

carolyn137 January 5, 2013 08:00 AM

[QUOTE=Fusion_power;318332]I'm expanding the search for cold tolerant tomatoes and bumped into this one in a thread out of Florida. Does anyone know anything about the source? or have seed?

Thanks,

DarJones[/QUOTE]

I never heard of it until I Googled it and in the Google search there were several links where it was noted. I didn't check any of them but maybe one or more might be helpful.

[URL]http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=northern+nibbler+tomato&oq=Northern+Nibbler+tomato&gs_l=hp.1.0.0i30.2987.17880.0.21803.23.13.0.10.10.1.252.2902.2-13.13.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.oRDUAtY96g4&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.dmQ&fp=7e5cb46a70252cd5&bpcl=40096503&biw=1031&bih=378[/URL]

Carolyn

sicily January 5, 2013 10:31 AM

Don't have any info. on Northern Nibbler. I do remember growing some very cold tolerant Russian varieties from Andrey Baranovski via SSE. One of the varieties was Krainiy Sever, Det. smallish globe fruits, red, decent flavor, extremely cold hardy. I checked for seeds, returned them to Mr. Waterman, I was growing it for him. You might want to check with Andrey about varieties he likes.

Fusion_power January 5, 2013 11:21 AM

Thanks for looking folks. I found Northern Nibbler via a google search which is why I am looking for seed.

Sicily, Andrey sent me several varieties a couple of weeks ago. I have already been in contact with him.

DarJones

carolyn137 January 5, 2013 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=Fusion_power;318585]Thanks for looking folks.

Andrey sent me some seed a couple of weeks ago.

DarJones[/QUOTE]

So why in your first post did you ask if anyone had seed when you already had some from Andrey?:?!?:

I wouldn't have bothered to Google it b/c I would have assumed that Andrey would have told you about it when he sent you the seeds, I mean the basics, not knowing if he grew it himself, which he's done most of the time when he sends me seeds.

Ah well, you do have the seeds and you can continue on with your project by adding this one.:)

Carolyn

Fusion_power January 5, 2013 11:58 AM

Was early and was tired. I didn't pay much attention to context. Andrey is sending me seed for several Russian varieties.

He is NOT sending Northern Nibbler which from the context I found them in may just be an ebay hype job.

DarJones

carolyn137 January 5, 2013 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=Fusion_power;318589]Was early and was tired. I didn't pay much attention to context. Andrey is sending me seed for several Russian varieties.

He is NOT sending Northern Nibbler which from the context I found them in may just be an ebay hype job.

DarJones[/QUOTE]

OK. he isn't sending you Northern Nibbler as you first posted and then I guess edited.

So are any of the links in that Google search helpful?

Darrel, are you an SSE member andI ask b/c in the 2012 SSE Yearbook Tania lists 403 and Andrey 233 tomato varieties. And both Tania and Jeff Casey in Canada have specific lists for early varieties, many of them supposedly cold tolerant.

And there are several of us who have gotten seeds from Andrey for many years, and no, he doesn't charge , and a couple of us have been paying his SSE membership for many years b'c of the money situation in Belarus.

Last year I pleaded with him and asked what I could send him and he said a Lady Gaga T-shirt for his eldest daughter, so that's what he got.:lol:

I just made a suggestion for you,but thought it over and decided to delete it b'c you might have taken it the wrong way.;)

Carolyn

Fusion_power January 5, 2013 04:51 PM

I'm already working through Tania's list. She will pretty much send me any varieties she thinks might be worth testing.

The reason for getting Andrey to send seed is to limit the possibility of getting crossed up seed. Besides, it makes him feel useful! :)

DarJones

Andrey_BY January 8, 2013 01:20 PM

Darrel, I was managed to send your envelope with seeds for cold tolerant tomato varieties + some extras only about a week ago right after New Year. So you can expect the package within 1-2 weeks maximum on your side. Very busy December as always on my working place, sorry.

Krainiy Sever seeds are on their way to you as well as one of the best cold tolerant varieties from my collection ;)

Never tried Northern Nibbler tomato...

Fusion_power January 8, 2013 03:08 PM

Thanks Andrey, there was no need to rush. I had plenty of planning and reading to do in the meantime.

DarJones