Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Persimmons (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48372)

Rajun Gardener November 11, 2018 05:06 PM

Persimmons

2 Attachment(s)
I picked all of the persimmons since we have a freeze coming next week. They ripen nicely on the counter just like tomatoes. It's been a great harvest from all of the fruit trees, I think the winter we had helped.

I made a small batch of persimmon wine about a week ago and it taste good considering it's only on day 7. I racked it this morning to remove the pulp and it should clear up with a little time on the shelf. I see a 5 gallon bucket ferment coming in about a week when these get ripe.

pmcgrady November 11, 2018 05:30 PM

There is only 1 old persimmon around here that I know of.. 40' tall, with a 24" base... Been trying to propigate seeds for a couple years, without much luck... trying again this year. The persimmons are no where those size here

pmcgrady November 11, 2018 05:41 PM

I'll send some northern seed, if you send southern!

Rajun Gardener November 11, 2018 06:03 PM

These are the Asian Hachiya, it's seedless/parthenocarpic self pollinating.

I noticed there's over 200 varieties of persimmon, that's crazy and you can get a new type from seeds. Good Luck and I hope they sprout for you. I saw a wine blog earlier that said out of a few hundred seeds only three sprouted. That's a bad average for an untrue tree that might not be worth eating in 5 years when it produces. That doesn't bother me, I started grapefruit, orange and lemon seeds to grow with the same possibility of a mutt plant/tree.

Rajun Gardener November 11, 2018 06:03 PM

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;719040]I'll send some northern seed, if you send southern![/QUOTE]

I can send you clippings if you want to try to root them.

PhilaGardener November 11, 2018 06:06 PM

We have American Persimmons ([I]Diospyros virginiana[/I]) here in PA - they have smallish fruits on large trees. I believe those larger fruits are Asian persimmons.

Rajun - those look great! Do you do anything interesting with that mountain of mash?

Rajun Gardener November 11, 2018 06:11 PM

I threw it out for the opossum, should I be using it for something else?

Patihum November 11, 2018 06:42 PM

Compost it or run a second smaller batch of wine. It will have to set for a good 2 months to loose the "harsh" taste after bottling.

pmcgrady November 11, 2018 07:42 PM

[QUOTE=Rajun Gardener;719041]These are the Asian Hachiya, it's seedless/parthenocarpic self pollinating.

I noticed there's over 200 varieties of persimmon, that's crazy and you can get a new type from seeds. Good Luck and I hope they sprout for you. I saw a wine blog earlier that said out of a few hundred seeds only three sprouted. That's a bad average for an untrue tree that might not be worth eating in 5 years when it produces. That doesn't bother me, I started grapefruit, orange and lemon seeds to grow with the same possibility of a mutt plant/tree.[/QUOTE]

Mine are a "wild" variety, I'll grab more seeds this week.

pmcgrady November 11, 2018 07:53 PM

Duplicate

Worth1 November 12, 2018 06:39 AM

Did you know a persimmon is related to the true ebony?
The North American tree makes much better wood than the Asian.

Worth

Rajun Gardener November 15, 2018 11:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The persimmons are slowly ripening, every day I get a few and freeze them till I have enough to make a 5 gallon batch of wine.

The 1 gallon batch is settling nicely, here's 4 days after the first racking. I don't know much about wine making except what I picked up researching but it's a fun hobby for winter.

Rajun Gardener December 11, 2018 11:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The persimmon wine finished and has cleared, I added a little honey to sweeten it and it tastes great already. I also made a batch of strawberry that's aging till summer if it last that long.

PhilaGardener December 11, 2018 08:02 PM

Looks great! :yes:

pmcgrady December 15, 2018 07:48 PM

Got my box of goodies today! I was getting ready to make persimmon cookies but you informed me they are kumquats... I've never eatin one till tonight...and they are delicious WOW! Thank You for the experience!