Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Weed or Volunteer Narive Plant - 2018 Edition (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47699)

greenthumbomaha June 17, 2018 10:06 PM

Weed or Volunteer Narive Plant - 2018 Edition

4 Attachment(s)
I may have planted this one last summer in my herb bed as it is front and center in a large planter. Pay no attention to the sorrel going to seed leaning on the left side of this monster.

Next am I coddling a privet or a weed? The new growth is a very brite greenish yellow, about 3 feet tall in total.

This has square stems. Is this thug growing all over different beds a weed, monarda that is spreading wildly with the rainy weather, or some speedwell that is blooming much later than other varieties, or ???

The grey plant was from a plant exchange. I was told it was invasive, but didn't expect this much so soon. I don't recall the name but would like to know what it is.

- Lisa

SueCT June 17, 2018 11:03 PM

What is a narive plant?

greenthumbomaha June 17, 2018 11:07 PM

Please excuse my typo, NATIVE.

Regardless of the terminology, can you identify any plants in the photos?

- Lisa

AlittleSalt June 17, 2018 11:15 PM

I don't know what the plant is, but I can't stand it when I typo a title :lol:and I've done it more than once.

The plant does look familiar though.

SueCT June 17, 2018 11:18 PM

You will be able to tell better when it blooms but is the Gray plant Rose Campion? The second picture looks like a weed. The first picture may have something invasive bitterweet if it is a vine, but I am not sure. If it is a vine and you pull some and it has red roots, get it out as soon as possible becuase it is very invasive and difficult to get rid of. If not a vine, then I am not sure.

Nattybo! June 18, 2018 03:11 PM

The plant by the window- I think is a very healthy giant ragweed? The grey one might be dusty miller?

SueCT June 18, 2018 03:24 PM

I think you are raising some very healthy weeds here, lol.

Labradors2 June 18, 2018 03:29 PM

The plant in the second picture may be Agastache, a lovely plant with blue flowers that attract bees. It has a square stem, and if you crush a leaf, it smells of anise. It makes great herb tea.

The silver-leafed plant is probably Artemesia which is indeed rather invasive and better off grown somewhere that you can control it by mowing around it.

Linda

greenthumbomaha June 18, 2018 07:05 PM

[QUOTE=Labradors2;704821]The plant in the second picture may be Agastache, a lovely plant with blue flowers that attract bees. It has a square stem, and if you crush a leaf, it smells of anise. It makes great herb tea.

The silver-leafed plant is probably Artemesia which is indeed rather invasive and better off grown somewhere that you can control it by mowing around it.

Linda[/QUOTE]

Fingers crossed for Agastache! I've planted the orange hummingbird hybrids but have given up on them being reliably hardy.

Later I'll post a photo of an Artimesia plant that I purchased at a garden club plant sale. The leaves on the purchased plant terminate in a square shape, and have a sharp angular tooth. The nearly dead sample I have of the plant in the photo has more of a rounded end and is smooth. Stay tuned!

- Lisa

bower June 18, 2018 07:09 PM

Ha ha everyone sees a different plant. :lol: The silver one looks like one we have called "Snow in Summer". Curse my tongue for saying such a words (since we had the real stuff:cry:). ;) It is white flowered and spreading, yes, invasive as all get out. Dandy ground cover for a place you just want foliage/flowers and never intend to put anything else. :D

greenthumbomaha June 18, 2018 07:16 PM

I googled Snow In The Summer, bingo! Mine did not flower, must have been to hot this year. :(

I need listen to people when they say it is invasive and not fall for a pretty color. Now I have two snowy invasives to have fun with - this and Snow On The Mountain!

I also took a cutting of ribbon grass from another club but that is behaving in the adjacent area that has weed fabric.

- Lisa

new roof every few years

bower June 18, 2018 07:19 PM

BTW two different 'square stem' pics? The first one could be Agastache or Motherwort (Leonuris cardiaca?) or a Speedwell (although not similar to any I know of here, there are a lot of different kinds). All of which have a flower spike which could look similar to the unflowered one in the first square stem pic.

The plant with deeply lobed leaves.. is not any of the labiatiae that I know personally, doesn't look like the same one you pictured first.

Labradors2 June 18, 2018 07:32 PM

Oh no! I bought ribbon grass at a recent plant sale. It had no label and looked extremely healthy which should have been a warning! Fortunately, I contacted someone "in the know" who warned me about it. Anyone want some Ribbon grass?????

Linda

greenthumbomaha June 18, 2018 07:54 PM

The second photo from the top is a close up. You can most readily see the bloom forming on a plant on the left. There is a piece of wood that shows its position in the last photo which is a garden overview. Its invasiveness is demonstrated in the patches of this square stemmed plant to the left, in front of, and to the right of this old wooden post.

I am sure that within the past two years I had planted bee balm from another plant swap in that bed, but the bloom forming is the wrong shape for bee balm.

- Lisa

greenthumbomaha June 18, 2018 07:59 PM

[QUOTE=Labradors2;704870]Oh no! I bought ribbon grass at a recent plant sale. It had no label and looked extremely healthy which should have been a warning! Fortunately, I contacted someone "in the know" who warned me about it. Anyone want some Ribbon grass?????

Linda[/QUOTE]

It would look great for foliage in a pot. It stays short. You can use it in place of using all annuals in a display of clustered pots to save money. Not a bad deal for cheap color.

- Lisa