Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   My sweet peppers in progress (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=5860)

Andrey_BY July 11, 2007 02:20 PM

My sweet peppers in progress

10 Attachment(s)
My wife's mother have tasted 4 Balkonovka fruits 40 days after tranplanting this plant into our coldframe for peppers. This even didn't get me a chance to make a photo of that first fruits so I took the shot on newly grown... This an extra early Czech sweet pepper variety suitable for growing in patio and outside.

From the left to the right:
Balkonovka, Pervenets Romantsova (now has 11 fruits on it), Nokturn, Nokturn, Palanacka Babura, Troyka, Parnas, Mastodont, Elf Zielonki, Iga

orflo July 11, 2007 02:52 PM

They all look great, Andrey,is this Elf the same as Elf Zielonki I got from you?
Frank

mdvpc July 11, 2007 09:16 PM

Andrey-Great fruit set on small plants-Pls keep us updated on them.

Andrey_BY July 12, 2007 03:02 AM

[quote=orflo;65783]They all look great, Andrey,is this Elf the same as Elf Zielonki I got from you?
Frank[/quote]

Yes, Frank. It's Elf Zielonki ;)

orflo July 12, 2007 07:06 AM

It's looking great, even though you're even more up to the north than I am; we had some terribly bad weather though, it should be improving, your other plants are behaving ok, considering the weather, especially bogatyr looks good but I've placed it in my big greenhouse because it was a bit slow germinating, now it caught up with the other ones. I have about sixty pepper varieties this year, earliest are Czech Black and weisse chili (also very productive) and off course ,the well known healthy, I'll try to keep you informed on your varieties,
Frank

spyfferoni July 14, 2007 12:54 AM

Andrey your peppers look beautiful. I especially love the color of Lisichka. What is the flavor like on that one? Are these all sweet peppers?

Tyffanie

Andrey_BY July 14, 2007 02:34 AM

Yes, these are all sweeties. Usually we grow only 1-2 hot peppers. It's enought for our Eastern European rather neuntral almost spiceless food ;)

obispo45 July 17, 2007 10:30 PM

Those look just wonderful. I also love the look of Lisichka too. I've never grown a non-bell of that color and shape, just fantastic and really really cool looking sweet pepper!!! Grew Kurtovska Kapija last year and have a few plants this year...shape is rather similar, size of fruit looks about same size too??

Andrey_BY July 25, 2007 03:03 AM

6 Attachment(s)
You are right - Lisichka is very good looking, but sorry for my stupid mistake it is not Lisichka, but Nokturn :) Finally have found my growing map for sweet peppers :lol:

obispo45, Kurtovska Kapija has much longer (a horn like) fruits. Apelsin bears wide cone fruits.

Another update from the last week (from the left to the right: Balkonovka, Igrok, Iga, Olenka, Apelsin, Troyka

obispo45 July 26, 2007 12:56 AM

Thanks Andrey, unless pictures incorporate some type of scale to determine size(which is often difficult to do and still have a nice picture) I sometimes have a hard time figuring out what's what:D. Trust me....I'm frequently guilty:D!! Thats good, by all accounts my K.Kapija peppers are true to type then.

Regardless, thats a great pepper and I have recorded the name. Heres hoping that the rest of the 2007 season provides you with beautiful days and equally nice produce. Your latest pics are very impressive too. Cheers

mouse August 5, 2007 10:03 PM

Andrey,

I love your posts because i learn so much from your vast knowledge, especially about growing in a region that fascinates me but abot which i know nothing.

I would be very grateful if you could add brief explanations [if you have the time] to your pepper [and tomato!] varieties, explaining what might be special about the fruit and the plant.

For example, fo Balkonovka, you noted its earliness, 40 days to fruit in Zone 4. Also its origin, Czech. Those facts were very helpful for some of us who may not have access to the SSE Yearbook or other sources.

Also, if you could note any special attributes about the fruit like flavor, or plant like yield, height, disease resistance, anything that caught your attention, all would be most helpful.

Any information of where seed might be available would be most welcome. I have a Yugoslavian friend who misses greatly the frying peppers of his homeland, for example, with no real way to retrieve them from a fragmented nation at this time.

Thanking you,

m

Earl August 6, 2007 08:42 PM

Andrey, those look great! I'm growing a couple I got from you awhile back: Tenderness and Whinny the Pooh. T is doing great, but an insect ate all the leaves off WP but it's coming back in fine fashion.

Andrey_BY August 7, 2007 05:31 PM

[quote=mouse;69033]Andrey,

I love your posts because i learn so much from your vast knowledge, especially about growing in a region that fascinates me but abot which i know nothing.

I would be very grateful if you could add brief explanations [if you have the time] to your pepper [and tomato!] varieties, explaining what might be special about the fruit and the plant.

For example, fo Balkonovka, you noted its earliness, 40 days to fruit in Zone 4. Also its origin, Czech. Those facts were very helpful for some of us who may not have access to the SSE Yearbook or other sources.

Also, if you could note any special attributes about the fruit like flavor, or plant like yield, height, disease resistance, anything that caught your attention, all would be most helpful.

Any information of where seed might be available would be most welcome. I have a Yugoslavian friend who misses greatly the frying peppers of his homeland, for example, with no real way to retrieve them from a fragmented nation at this time.

Thanking you,

m[/quote]

Thanks, mouse!

Actually you can find the major of info about my tomato and pepper varieties at my Seedlists in a "Trade" section.

[URL]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=3929&highlight=pepper+andrey[/URL]

[URL]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=3458[/URL]

Balkonovka is a new to me as well for this year. I've its seeds from one citrus collector from Czech Republic. The original seed packet reverse suggested to grow Balkonovka in a pot on a balcony (since the name but in a Czech way of writing ;) ), but I'm growing 3 plants of Balkonovka in 2 coldframes. 2 of the plants gave me my earliest sweet peppers of all times in just 40 days after transpalnt. The cone fruit is average in size and has a got a beautiful milky-white color turning red later. Now (75 days after transplanting) I've got the third yeild from these plants. Just impressive!

I can't grow sweet peppers outdoor in our climate because of quite a short growing season and many deseases in the late July and almost the whole August (heavy fogs and a lot of rains).

As you can see in my list I have some sweeties and hotties with former Yugoslavian origin. I can send you some in autumn for you friend ;)

Andrey_BY August 7, 2007 05:39 PM

[quote=Earl;69163]Andrey, those look great! I'm growing a couple I got from you awhile back: Tenderness and Whinny the Pooh. T is doing great, but an insect ate all the leaves off WP but it's coming back in fine fashion.[/quote]

Earl, Nezhnost ("Tenderness" in English) is very prolific and Winni is a local favorite for pots!

Will have much more varieties to offer you in autumn ;)

Spatzbear August 7, 2007 07:06 PM

I'm getting really excited here. The seedlings are popping up. And Andrey's peppers are doing well so far. It'll be interesting to see how well they do in our climate. :)

Great pictures, Andrey!