Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   New in 2013 Tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=29203)

kath July 13, 2013 10:49 AM

New in 2013 Tomatoes

I've decided to start another picture thread about this year's newcomers because Ella wants me to...ok, and because the mosquitoes are still biting this am...and because it is more fun than doing housework.

kath July 13, 2013 11:14 AM

Chello

3 Attachment(s)
Seeds for this one and the next two were sown on 1/18. Chello was planted in the ground in April with protection but I think the transplant shock and cold weather really set it back because although it flowered and set fruit ~ 3/14 the first fruits didn't ripen until 5/16. Ok for salads, but it's not Sungold. Size ranged from 0.1 to 0.6 oz.

Redbaron July 13, 2013 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=kath;363420]Seeds for this one and the next two were sown on 1/18. Chello was planted in the ground in April with protection but I think the transplant shock and cold weather really set it back because although it flowered and set fruit ~ 3/14 the first fruits didn't ripen until 5/16. Ok for salads, but it's not Sungold.[/QUOTE]
I was wondering, because my chello is starting to fruit. None ripe yet though.

kath July 13, 2013 11:28 AM

Cyril's Choice

4 Attachment(s)
This one is only about 3' tall and is my favorite of the 3 that were started in January. I enjoy the taste of them plain and they're good for salads, too- even the foliage is pretty. Splitting hasn't been much of an issue but the skin isn't too thick. Fruits were in the 2-4 oz. range.

kath July 13, 2013 11:42 AM

Yamal

3 Attachment(s)
Yamal keeps its green shoulders when ripe and radial cracking was common. The size range is also about 2-4 oz. but it has more larger fruits than Cyril's Choice. Our wet weather may have contributed to a bit of mushiness and a sweet but rather bland taste.

kath July 13, 2013 12:03 PM

Ted's Pink Currant

4 Attachment(s)
This one took the honor of "first to ripen from the 3/1 sowing". Pruning it to a single vine seems like cruel and unusual punishment because it really wants to sprout from everywhere. That, in addition to being planted between the robust Black Cherry and the blossom-maniac Zluta Kytice, gives it the likeness of a Charlie Brown Christmas tree in the first pic. I haven't been able to pick a ripe one without splitting it yet and yesterday's 0.5" of rain even split the ones that weren't quite ripe. Currants are cute and all but no matter which way you slice 'em they're just tiny bags of seeds, aren't they?

efisakov July 13, 2013 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=kath;363431]Yamal keeps its green shoulders when ripe and radial cracking was common. The size range is also about 2-4 oz. but it has more larger fruits than Cyril's Choice. Our wet weather may have contributed to a bit of mushiness and a sweet but rather bland taste.[/QUOTE]

I hope this one improves it's taste. It is loaded for the size of the plant. Is it one of the dwarfs?
Very nice pictures. Thanks, Kath.

kath July 13, 2013 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=efisakov;363468]I hope this one improves it's taste. It is loaded for the size of the plant. Is it one of the dwarfs?
Very nice pictures. Thanks, Kath.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Ella- you know you made me do this.;)

Yamal isn't part of the Dwarf Project here. It's a 2-3' determinate- here's the link to Tatiana's Tomato Base:

[url]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Yamal[/url]

kath

efisakov July 13, 2013 03:10 PM

Kath, you will enjoy hosting this thread. You are a great host.

jmurphy July 13, 2013 03:28 PM

Gee, I can't believe you are already eating your tomatoes! I have quite a few with fruit, but they are, far far from ripening!

clara July 13, 2013 03:39 PM

Kath, I'm green with envy! I've only 3 ripe cherries so far... but that may be caused by our unusual cold and rainy spring so that I could only start transplanting end of May.

I'm happy that you are pleased with Cyril's Choice; for me it was an early producer, too, and very productive.

I'm already looking forward to your "blossom-maniac" Zluta Kytice, lol! clara

ginger2778 July 13, 2013 05:17 PM

Boy am I happy this time of year has arrived.

Kathy, I was just thinking about your picture thread from last year, and here it is for new ones. I'm so happy.:D
I love your photography.

Marsha

kath July 13, 2013 08:59 PM

Clara, the plants I'm growing from your seeds are doing really well and have some picture-perfect fruits in eye-popping numbers- all the more impressive amidst the sea of cat-faced, BER plagued monstrosities in my garden this year. I've even stopped shaking cages/stakes and have put away my sonicare toothbrush just in case that was a contributing factor. Thanks for sharing your seeds- I hope that your tomatoes ripen soon!

kath

kath July 13, 2013 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=jmurphy;363483]Gee, I can't believe you are already eating your tomatoes! I have quite a few with fruit, but they are, far far from ripening![/QUOTE]

All the rest of mine are quite a ways from ripening, too- it'll be a while before I can post more photos.

kath

kath July 13, 2013 09:03 PM

Ella, you're very kind, thank you.

Marsha, thank you, too!

kath