Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Twisted Tomato Seedlings (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=50246)

TedB May 3, 2020 02:25 PM

Twisted Tomato Seedlings

4 Attachment(s)
Hopefully the pics will post. Re seedling issues this is a first of this type of occurrence for me. I'm thinking the "cause/s" are either my pricking-out mix rather the germination mix or a fungal issue. To me it looks like a chemical (eg weed spray) induced condition. Okay possibly a combined nutrient issue (white blotches on some leaf tips and heavier "older" bottom stem skin.)

Germination mix: 50-50 Sunshine #1 x ProMix4; Pricking-out (85% 2020 50qt bag/Costco MiracleGro+15%Sunshine#1. (I was temp out of Pmix.)

Checking the 2020 50qt MG composition vs 55qt 2019 mix there's a compost addition in the 2020 MG. At this point God is probably the only one that knows the plant material source of the compost/or if some of the compost green waste had been sprayed with whatever.

I reseeded my end of Feb T/P trials twice.2/3x times. Any help appreciated.
Attached Images

TedB is online now Report Post

brownrexx May 3, 2020 02:41 PM

That looks like what is caused by herbicide contaminated compost.

Labradors2 May 3, 2020 02:58 PM

That's what I'm thinking too brownrexx :(.

Linda

Lee May 3, 2020 03:13 PM

Ouch.....
I agree with the other's assessments.

I would go find a good potting soil and replant. Hopefully, they'll grow out of it.

Lee

slugworth May 3, 2020 03:30 PM

repot and plant em deep

TedB May 4, 2020 01:22 AM

[QUOTE=slugworth;755714]repot and plant em deep[/QUOTE]
FWIW: I "lost" most of the first batch. Those that "survived" half are/were pretty much w/o new healthy white roots those that made it are in "slow motion" but look to be making it. Maybe they'll color up by mid-August. With the first replant I divided the seeding into 3 groups both with initial seeding and then with pricking-out. 1st "mix" MG, #2 50-50 MG & ProMix, #3 ProMix. Results with both 1 & 2 were "troubled." 100% ProMix normal. Lesson learned: stay away from mixes with compost/green waste. Take time Ted use ProMix or Sunshine. Thanks everyone.

brownrexx May 4, 2020 08:27 AM

Many people do not trust MG and now I see why.

I do a "bean test" in soil or straw that I am not sure of. Just plant a couple of bean seeds in the soil or straw to be tested . The seeds germinate in 3-4 days and if they are curly like your seedlings - do not use that soil!

svalli May 6, 2020 08:00 AM

The situation is getting very sad all over the world. It seems that there are a lot of problems everywhere with bagged potting mixes containing compost or organic fertilizers.
Last year this couple from UK was investigating the issue with the grow bags: [url]https://youtu.be/lsQD0hIwnOI[/url]

I do not dare using any mix, which has compost marked as ingredient on the label or any fertilizer containing vinasse or molasses nor any bagged manure products. I experienced the problem 10 years ago, when using fertilizer containing vinasse. I have later found out that clopyralid is commonly used on sugar beet fields and vinasse is a byproduct of the sugar industry.

It is really frustrating situation, when the chemical fertilizers are actually safer to use than the commercial organic ones.

Sari

brownrexx May 6, 2020 08:50 AM

I blame a lot of this on the quest for the perfect lawn. Many people want a perfectly green lawn and they don't care how many chemicals it takes to get that. They allow their kids and pets to play on this poisoned grass and the lawn mowing companies dump the clippings at the local composting facility.

We drop off tree branches or bushes that we have removed and we see huge truckloads of grass clippings being dumped by the lawn care companies. We never take the free mulch.

rxkeith May 6, 2020 09:03 AM

this year, i have been using a 50:50 mix of fertiloam, and dr earth for my potting up
mix with good results so far. plants all look healthy. dr earth is about $20.00/bag, so
i wanted to stretch it out. i have also used happy frog with good results, equally expensive. i use what seems the best available planting mix from the local feed and seed. i haven't seen promix here. a lot of people like it, wouldn't mind trying it.
sometimes, its trial and error.
i tend to stay away from the miracle grow products.

keith

Lee May 6, 2020 10:55 AM

Miracle Grow potting mix has always worked well for me as I use it
as a base with happy frog potting mix.
This year I had a couple of extra bags that I used for potting up extra
seedlings.
Those have all done quite well with no issues.

It is disappointing to hear about such inconsistencies with other's experiences with these products.

As for seed starting and potting up, nothing beats metro mix 360 in my opinion. I was first turned on to that product by nctomatoman, and 15 years of successful use is proof enough for me. It can be hard to find, and I'm fortunate to have a local supply center that carries that and the Fox Farms products I like as well.

Lee

GoDawgs May 6, 2020 11:30 AM

I've been using Metro Mix for ages except for a short time when I couldn't find it and subbed Miracle Grow mix. Turns out metro Mix was bought by Sungro Horticulture. My feed & seed folks said it's a different bag but the same stuff. So I'm back to Metro Mix. Which iteration? I have no idea.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/bWE559Y.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/OhdLgZs.jpg[/IMG]

TedB May 17, 2020 08:20 PM

After thoughts

Evrebody thanks for your "twisted tomto" thinking/thoughts. Thanks again. My 2020 Miracle-Gro experience was a lesson of sorts. Sorts in the sense that I've "trusted" local green waste compost with only one or two so-so herbicide-related experiences. The Miracle-Gro corporation makes/sells a ton of ag related products..available almost everywhere. And most are okay if a bit pricey.

Since moving out here from southern Illinois/downsizing from a Farmer's Market grower to a raised bed 12' x 35' greenhouse grower (2000) like Lee I've used MG grow mix both as a germinating and for potting-up seedlings with good results. As I wrote earlier I'll go (and stay) with Pro-Mix or Sunshine here on out.

This year my largely East European tomato and compact sweet pepper trial varieties are down by 2/3. My garlic collection looks good going into the last half of May. We had a 1/2-3/4 inch rain overnight that brought out the slugs to feast on my celery..never saw so many. I Sluggoed after the fact. Again thanks all for your considerations/thoughts. ted

clkeiper May 18, 2020 05:37 AM

I always buy baccto or Pro-mix... I have never had an issue with it like this herbicide related appearing stuff. this is just sad. I am so sorry you lost most of your plants.