Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Potatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   General purpose potato suggestion? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47046)

Tropicalgrower March 18, 2018 09:42 PM

General purpose potato suggestion?

I have my French Fingerling seed potatoes,and am thinking about German Butterball as well.I'd like an idea for something that would be good for mashing/baking,maybe a russet type?Something readily available.Tasty would be a big plus as well.

Any ideas?

pmcgrady April 7, 2018 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=Tropicalgrower;690116]I have my French Fingerling seed potatoes,and am thinking about German Butterball as well.I'd like an idea for something that would be good for mashing/baking,maybe a russet type?Something readily available.Tasty would be a big plus as well.

Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Plant potatoes... Get potatoes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pmcgrady April 7, 2018 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;693917]Plant potatoes... Get potatoes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

They have Yukon Gold .39 cents a pound local

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nattybo! April 8, 2018 07:01 AM

German Butterball is the tastiest potato I have found so far. My picky eater kids even ate the skins! So the only seed potatoes I bought this year were German Butterball.

Tropicalgrower April 16, 2018 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;693917]Plant potatoes... Get potatoes...

But...I want a potato that actually has some flavor.:cry:

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;693918]They have Yukon Gold .39 cents a pound local

I might try buying at the local supermarket,but what they sell are generic no flavor potatoes.No reason the plant potatoes with little to no flavor,as I can buy those all day long and not have to tend plants.

Right?

[QUOTE=Nattybo!;693954]German Butterball is the tastiest potato I have found so far. My picky eater kids even ate the skins! So the only seed potatoes I bought this year were German Butterball.[/QUOTE]

Ok,I have this one sprouting to be planted.I also found a package of small fingerling potatoes locally.If they ever sprout,I'll plant those too.

I was actually kind of trying to find a russet type potato to plant,but may have to wait another season,as I only have so many containers.

Thanks for the suggestion of German Butterball.Nice to know that these are flavorful.

Trop

pmcgrady April 16, 2018 05:43 PM

[QUOTE=Tropicalgrower;695507]But...I want a potato that actually has some flavor.:cry:

I might try buying at the local supermarket,but what they sell are generic no flavor potatoes.No reason the plant potatoes with little to no flavor,as I can buy those all day long and not have to tend plants.

Right?

Ok,I have this one sprouting to be planted.I also found a package of small fingerling potatoes locally.If they ever sprout,I'll plant those too.

I was actually kind of trying to find a russet type potato to plant,but may have to wait another season,as I only have so many containers.

Thanks for the suggestion of German Butterball.Nice to know that these are flavorful.

Trop[/QUOTE]

Our local Rural King has Yukon Golds and Red potatoes at .39/lb for seed potatoes. I ordered Rose Finn Apple, Russian Banana and Magic Molly from The Maine Potato Lady.
I like fingerlings, on a good year you plant 1# and get 10# at harvest. Gran Teton Organics is another good place to get a lot of varieties.

Worth1 April 16, 2018 07:15 PM

In my opinion there is no such thing as a general purpose potato.:)
You need a red a starch and a gold.
Also the older a potato is the sweeter is gets, starch turns to sugar.
Reds make killer french fries if you know how to do it.

Worth

kath April 16, 2018 07:41 PM

My faves for flavor so far are Dark Red Norland, Yukon Gold, Desiree, Carola, and German Butterball was my favorite fingerling. I consider all potatoes all purpose. :)