Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Length of day (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=32464)

AKmark May 18, 2014 02:07 AM

Length of day

2 Attachment(s)
The subject arose in another thread, so I posted a few pics of a few varieties that are tortured by our 18 hour days, soon to be 20. The pics show the south, damaged, sunny side, and the shady north side, where they look great. If I didn't know better. Yield is not affected that I can tell, my heaviest yislder last year was a tortured Caspian Pink that gave me 34lbs of fruit I don't use a shade cloth, some do up here. Has anyone done studies about this issue? Enjoy, Pruden's Purple first

AKmark May 18, 2014 02:10 AM

More length of day pics

2 Attachment(s)
Belgium Giant Leaves hate the length of day too, both sides again

AKmark May 18, 2014 02:12 AM

Nice leaves

1 Attachment(s)
Russian black tomatoes don't mind the length od day.

AKmark May 18, 2014 02:14 AM

I got a north side pic mixed up, but you should get the point.

Worth1 May 18, 2014 09:48 AM

I get leaves that look just like that down here.

Every year about this time I go to work and see red Alaskans.:lol:
Many of the guys I talked to said the sun was stronger there and that was why they burned.

I told them no it is because they stay in the dark all winter and then the sun comes up and stays up almost all day.

I told them they needed to harden off.:lol:

It is very hard not to want to run around all night long there due to the sun being up most of the time.

Going up in elevation is also a culprit for sunburn since there is less atmosphere to filter the UV light.

We get a little over 14 hours here on the longest day.

Mark I know you already know this but some might not.
The arctic circle is the line where everything there and above it gets 24 hour of daylight.
On the circle it is one day and as you go north more days are added.
Where I work at it stays up for quite some time.

I dont see the sun go down in the summer till I get to Seattle.

I never thought about the UV light effecting the leaves like that.

Worth

KarenO May 18, 2014 10:55 AM

Happens to some of mine too. Potato leaf ones on my hot south facing deck. Double whammy of long days of hot sun and >2300' above sea level. Doesn't seem to happen out in the open garden or on regular leaf plants. Heat seems to have a lot to do with it at my house.
Karen

AKmark May 18, 2014 11:58 AM

Worth, I never put it in that context with people, they do get hardened off in the tanning beds. That was funny.

NarnianGarden May 18, 2014 12:18 PM

Over here it's 18 + hrs and counting, some plants that haven't been exposed to the sunlight earlier the spring have taken quite a beating. Those that have been able to spend time on my balcony all spring, are adjusting fine.
The weatherforecast promises hot weather for the soon starting week, and I need to get busy re-potting some plants that look like they'll soon are about to jump out of their containers...