Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Fashionable (?) Heirloom plants at the farmers market (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=1212)

geoguy_TN May 8, 2006 12:22 PM

Fashionable (?) Heirloom plants at the farmers market

We spent about 15 minutes at the Chattanooga Market this Sunday (just long enough for a very quick stroll through to get the local Soddy Daisy stawberries and replenish the sourwood honey - I liked the market better before it was "discovered" by the large crowds). There were at least 4 people selling heirloom tomato plants where in the past couple of years there has been one. Is this the newest fad/craze?

The only plant that I was tempted by was the "Rainbow Blend" :lol: It even had the catalog picture and description.

carolyn137 May 8, 2006 03:33 PM

And Rainbow Blend was one specific variety?

Ouch!!!! :lol:

geoguy_TN May 8, 2006 04:06 PM

Yes, someone is going to be surprised :shock: that they don't have a rainbow of tomatoes on their plant. But it showed 'em in the picture... :?

bigcheef May 11, 2006 12:14 PM

Wahh?

The pic even showed different colored friut on the same plant?

Ouch indeed :roll:

RIK

kimpossible May 11, 2006 12:30 PM

Some people/businesses will say or do anything to make a quick buck :evil: They don't care about facts or accuracy. :arrow: Heirlooms indeed!!!! :x

geoguy_TN May 11, 2006 01:03 PM

To be fair, I don't think that this fellow was deliberately implying that one plant had multiple tomato types. I'm guessing that he meant well. He just bought the rainbow blend and either wasn't able to or didn't specify which tomato in the blend was being sold. I don't know where his seeds came from, but it might be something like this from Tomato Growers Supply:

[i]Rainbow Tomato Collection - #1038 Assortment $9.80
This collection offers a sampling of some of the wonderful flavors with colors available in tomatoes. Fill your harvest basket with a rainbow of these beautiful fruit and enjoy their unique tastes. Includes one packet each of : Pineapple (bicolor), Green Zebra (green), Cherokee Purple (black), Orange Strawberry (orange), Golden Queen, USDA Strain (yellow).[/i]

I just got a real kick out of seeing an individual plant labeled as Rainbow Blend.

carolyn137 May 11, 2006 01:17 PM

And there's a Rainbow Collection of cherry tomatoes and the seed is colored coded, but again, one person somewhere in the East also reported buying plants labelled just Rainbow Blend. Triple Sigh.

So are we talking large fruited Rainbow derivatives of the type in the blurb above or cherry size stuff?

HeirloomNewb May 11, 2006 10:41 PM

hey GEODUDE... did you hook a brother up with some honey?...... mmmm honey! :D

How does this years crop of sourwood taste/look?

geoguy_TN May 12, 2006 01:16 PM

My little brother is going to have to be awfully nice to end up with some of this :wink: . The honey lady told me "that's good sourwood honey". That means it's good. Last year's batch she said was good and it was good. The year before it got mixed in with some clover and sumac honey (those darn bees don't work hard enough without supervision - that is a Doctor Suess reference for all of you non-parents out there) and it wasn't as good, but it was still good.