Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Aunt Gertie's Gold - rugose leaves normal? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=5278)

Fert1 May 23, 2007 11:21 PM

Aunt Gertie's Gold - rugose leaves normal?

After reading all the glowing reports, I'm growing Aunt Gertie's Gold this year for the first time. I just wondered if it normally had ruffley rugose leaves. Mine does, and I didn't know if it might be weather-related, disease-related or normal for the plant. What is the norm?

For what it's worth, it looks healthy enough to me.

hunter May 23, 2007 11:43 PM

Mine are potato leaf.

Here's a description from the Heirloom Tomatoes web site:
[B]Aunt Gertie's Gold-[/B] 75-85 days - Indet. potato leaf - Large plant, high yield of 8g-1# gold fruits. Some may be blemished but the taste of this variety is superb. Seeds to Chuck from a VA. friend.

Tomstrees May 24, 2007 09:59 AM

Mine are PL as well -
I could take a pic later today and post - I'm pretty sure I have the real deal ~ Could you snap a pic as well ?

Also, has your weather been cold or bugs be driving your plants nuts ? Either could make leaves looked "wrinkled" or rugose -

~ Tom

gardenmama May 24, 2007 10:09 AM

AGG is definitely a Potato Leaf plant. Are you saying that your leaves are PL [I]and[/I] rugose? Or are they RL rugose. Sometimes herbicide drift can cause puckering, making the affected leaves look rugose. If the plants weren't too sevely hit, subsequent growth generally reverts back to the normal leaf type for the plant. (in other words, it grows out of it).

Fert1 May 24, 2007 08:17 PM

PL AND rugose. Weather had been a bit cooler than normal this year, and there have been a few aphids, but it's under control.

artis May 24, 2007 09:43 PM

My AGG plant (still relatively small) also has ugly potato leaves that certainly look more wrinkled than those of Brandywine OTV that I am growing side by side. I don't know if it is typical because I am growing my tomatos in containers and the weather this spring has been highly unusual so my plants are very stressed.

I also noticed that my AGG has been having problems setting fruit on the first truss. All of my other tomatos (Black Cherry, Brandywine OTV, Lida Ukrainian, and Gregori's Altai) already have tiny green fruits.

Artis

Fert1 May 24, 2007 11:19 PM

All of my large slicer types aren't setting fruit yet, but all my smaller types are. I keep hoping for a slicer to set sometime soon. At least they all have blossoms. Some have quite a lot.

rodger May 25, 2007 01:28 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by rugose, But I will say mine in PL and the leaves are nearly twice the size of other PL varieties a very large plant and large leaved plant
Rodger
PS only 61 days till the SC tomato fest.

Fert1 May 25, 2007 11:11 PM

I just meant wrinkly, krinkly, very thick leaves. They have a puckered look about them. Otherwise, it looks healthy and is growing nicely and blooming.

Earl May 26, 2007 08:16 PM

How about a picture? My AGG are normal PL. Which by the way is my second best tasting tomato.

Fert1 May 26, 2007 09:57 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have a good way of attaching a photograph right now. The only digital camera I have is my cell phone, and I still don't know how to transer photos from there to anywbere else. Since this is a long weekend, maybe I'll finally have time to sit down and look through the manual.

If yours had normal PL, then I would suspect this may be an environmental effect. It looks healthy enough in spite of the puckering.

dice May 26, 2007 10:06 PM

Look at the picture for sulfur deficiency at this
page:

[url]http://4e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=5&id=289[/url]

Do they look like that?

Fert1 May 26, 2007 10:17 PM

[quote=dice;59571]Look at the picture for sulfur deficiency at this
page:

[URL]http://4e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=5&id=289[/URL]

Do they look like that?[/quote]

They really don't look like any of the photos on that page, but thanks for the link. That's a great site! I bookmarked it for future reference. The closest picture on that page would be the leaves with a Phosphorus deficiency, but I can't really say they look like that either. They look much healthier.

The plant is growing and healthy enough, the PL leaves just look a little puckered, rather than being flat and smooth. I suspect it is just an environmental thing, and probably nothing to worry about, since the plant looks healthy otherwise.

dice May 27, 2007 05:13 PM

"I suspect it is just an environmental thing, and probably nothing to worry about, since the plant looks healthy otherwise."

Possible. There is usually a little (or a lot of) purpling
of the stems with phosphorus deficiency, as well as
whatever leaf symptoms there may be. Fusion pointed
out in a long post 6-8 weeks ago how pH and other
nutrients can affect phosphorus uptake, so a simple
lack of phosphorus is not necessarily the problem,
even it shows those symptoms.

Fert1 May 27, 2007 10:59 PM

New development - leaves still puckered, but not as much so today. I gave them a very thorough watering yesterday. Now I'm wondering if the plant just needed water badly enough to make the leaves pucker.