Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Lucid Gem - 0% germination (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44484)

Nagant April 9, 2017 12:07 PM

Lucid Gem - 0% germination

Starting to wonder if I got a bad batch of seed :?!?:. I've tried peat planters, solo cups, and a damp paper towel with diluted hydrogen peroxide on all of my seeds with no luck. Has anyone else had difficulty getting this variety to germinate? All of my other tomato and pepper varieties (even superhots) germinated just fine.

ginger2778 April 9, 2017 01:03 PM

Mine were slow but eventually got there.

maxjohnson April 10, 2017 01:32 AM

The first batch I had zero germination, second tries it took over a week and only 50%. I thought it was just the vendor, but maybe it's something to do with the variety.

Barb_FL April 10, 2017 10:10 AM

I bought seeds from WBF when they were first introduced and had 100% germination.
I don't remember if they were slow or not; probably was normal since nothing stands out. I sow outside too; no lights.

I saved and sent out a LOT of seeds via my SASE and MMMM swap. I can test some if you want.

If anyone reading this thread got seeds from me, please comment on this thread re: their germination.

nancyruhl April 10, 2017 10:31 AM

I saved seeds from the fruit (at a tomato tasting event) and they germinated quickly and grew well. BTW, I didn't expect to like them because I really haven't enjoyed the blue types, but was pleasantly surprised.

Nagant April 10, 2017 09:04 PM

[QUOTE=Barb_FL;630961]I saved and sent out a LOT of seeds via my SASE and MMMM swap. I can test some if you want.[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the offer but I suppose I'm more disappointed than curious about the germination rate. :(

[QUOTE=nancyruhl;630965]I saved seeds from the fruit (at a tomato tasting event) and they germinated quickly and grew well. BTW, I didn't expect to like them because I really haven't enjoyed the blue types, but was pleasantly surprised.[/QUOTE]

I did hear it was quite tasty for a blue variety.

pmcgrady April 10, 2017 09:34 PM

Second year of growing them, no germination problems. WBF seed and saved seed from last year.y

ARgardener April 21, 2017 12:22 PM

I had 100% germination with my Lucid Gem seeds and they were certainly one of my fastest germinaters/ sprouters.
I started in the coffee filter with H2O2, placed near hot water tank where temps were constantly 85 or so. Maybe that's the difference??

Cole_Robbie April 21, 2017 12:33 PM

It's too bad that you are from the opposite end of the state, or I would just give you a plant of it.

Randall April 21, 2017 03:16 PM

I had 1 out of 12 germ for me.

In 72 cell trays, they were the only seeds to have a low germination rate like that.

I'm sure the saved seed will be fine.

ginger2778 April 21, 2017 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=Randall;633431]I had 1 out of 12 germ for me.

In 72 cell trays, they were the only seeds to have a low germination rate like that.

I'm sure the saved seed will be fine.[/QUOTE]

It only takes 1 good plant, right?:)

Randall April 21, 2017 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;633437]It only takes 1 good plant, right?:)[/QUOTE]

:) That's my hope, anyway! It's healthy, so if I don't kill it before I get a couple of tomatoes it should work out fine.

BigVanVader April 22, 2017 04:05 PM

My seeds came from Charley and I ended up with around 25 plants from one sowing :surprised:

throwaway April 26, 2017 01:33 PM

Had a couple pop up today that were a week or two late. Germination rate probably not out of line with most of the rest.

Fritz77 May 2, 2017 10:16 AM

First year growing LG. Mine germinated easily and the seedlings are among the sturdiest ones. Some of them will be transplanted in the garden in a couple of hours:D
P.S. I got my seeds from Ginger2778