Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Wilt (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=49477)

cecilsgarden1958 July 21, 2019 02:17 PM

Wilt

Trying cucumbers in a raised bed. They were 7' and beautiful. Now some leaves are wilting or dying. Did I over or under water?

Labradors2 July 21, 2019 02:32 PM

Check for cucumber beetles. They carry disease which can cause wilt :(.

Linda

cecilsgarden1958 July 21, 2019 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=Labradors2;742016]Check for cucumber beetles. They carry disease which can cause wilt :(.

Linda[/QUOTE]

No beetles

brownrexx July 23, 2019 10:59 AM

I believe that the cucumber beetles probably visited your plants and that you just did not see them. They are small and fast and do not hang around for long on the plants. When they bite the plants, bacterial wilt is also injected into the plants along with their saliva.

If your plants grew to 7" and then wilted I would bet that you were visited by cucumber beetles.

I am also in PA and I can't grow cukes unless I grow a resistant variety called county fair. It is the only variety that consistently gives me cucumbers. The plants do eventually get Bacterial wilt but not until late in the season when I am tired of cukes anyway.

cecilsgarden1958 July 23, 2019 05:32 PM

[QUOTE=brownrexx;742172]I believe that the cucumber beetles probably visited your plants and that you just did not see them. They are small and fast and do not hang around for long on the plants. When they bite the plants, bacterial wilt is also injected into the plants along with their saliva.

If your plants grew to 7" and then wilted I would bet that you were visited by cucumber beetles.

I am also in PA and I can't grow cukes unless I grow a resistant variety called county fair. It is the only variety that consistently gives me cucumbers. The plants do eventually get Bacterial wilt but not until late in the season when I am tired of cukes anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yea, looks like you guys were right, because it only got worse. I picked what was on them and pulled the infected vines. Already ordered County Fair for next year and also Marketmore 76. Thought I heard it was resistant too. It was my munchers that got sick, not my Eurekas

brownrexx July 23, 2019 06:36 PM

I think that you will like County Fair. I see the beetles on my plants but I still get plenty of cucumbers. Eventually they DO get wilt though.

Resistant does not mean immune. The plants just last longer. I have been growing County Fair for about 4 years and have not been disappointed yet.

Labradors2 July 23, 2019 07:18 PM

I must try County Fair too. Last year, the beetles were so bad that they completely devasted my Green Fingers cukes. Oddly, they didn't suffer from disease, but there were so many beetles chewing the flowers and young cukes, that they were unable to grow. I'm growing them under a Reemay tunnel this season.

Linda

cecilsgarden1958 July 23, 2019 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=brownrexx;742196]I think that you will like County Fair. I see the beetles on my plants but I still get plenty of cucumbers. Eventually they DO get wilt though.

Resistant does not mean immune. The plants just last longer. I have been growing County Fair for about 4 years and have not been disappointed yet.[/QUOTE]
Is wilt infectious. I pulled the plants already, but did I need to? Will need to know for what I have left.
Thank you all very much for you help.

brownrexx July 24, 2019 08:59 AM

It is my understanding that the Bacterial Wilt that affects tomatoes can remain in the soil BUT Bacterial Wilt of cucumbers is caused by a different bacteria and it overwinters in the gut of cucumber beetles and can [U]not[/U] overwinter in the soil.

Cucumber beetles can pick up Bacterial Wilt from infected plants and spread it to uninfected plants so it is wise to pull them but it has been my experience that once one plant is infected they all become infected since the beetles jump from plant to plant.