Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Two Seeds in a Pod (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=27254)

chancethegardener March 27, 2013 11:27 PM

Two Seeds in a Pod

I am happy to announce that I have recently started an heirloom seed company, [B]Two Seeds in a Pod[/B]. The company's webpage is located at [URL]http://twoseedsinapod.com[/URL] . This is a small, family-owned business; I am the president/founder and my wife is the vice-president/co-founder :)

Currently, I am in the process of growing and selecting unique and/or uncommon and/or rare heirloom varieties primarily from Turkey and also from other countries in Europe and Asia. I will also be reselling seeds for commonly known varieties so that I can offer a wider selection in the catalog. The varieties that are grown by me will clearly be stated on the seed's page.

You can subscribe to the newsletter at [URL]http://twoseedsinapod.com/newsletter[/URL] to receive notifications for new varieties.

Any feedback and suggestions are welcome. 8-)

PS: I would like to thank Mischka for giving me the opportunity for this announcement. I also would like to thank Tatiana for giving me permission to use her pictures for certain varieties. These varieties are clearly stated in the catalog.

ScottinAtlanta March 28, 2013 06:07 AM

I have a number of varieties from Asia/Europe/the Caucasus you might want to trial. Take a look at my posts offering seeds, and let me know.

kurt March 28, 2013 10:12 AM

Congrats on your new seed company launching.

chancethegardener March 28, 2013 11:53 AM

Thanks much, Kurt.

Scott, thanks much for the offer. Are you talking about the Armenian varieties?

Also, I have been testing the shopping cart application and coming across linguistically strange system messages for some cases :)) I would appreciate any feedback regarding these messages so I can fix them.

Heritage March 28, 2013 04:37 PM

Chance,

Congratulations and best wishes on your new venture! It is great to see someone get into the seed business for "the right reasons":) Feel free to use any photos from my site, if needed, until you get an opportunity to take your own.

Steve

carolyn137 March 28, 2013 05:37 PM

So glad to see you taking this huge step forward Chance.

How do you define a volunteer? I looked at your list and didn't find my name yet I'm growing three tomato varieties from Turkey.;)

Second, I do have a few Macedonian ones, if they qualify. Mala Bishka and Zleovo and Dragoevo, that come to mind ASAP. Also, all the Ludmilla ones came from Kazachstan as brought to Germany where Reindhard Kraft was given seeds; I have seeds for all three. And I can go through my seed stash when I have time to see what else might qualify.

I know it's too late to send seeds to you now with you being in FL but if interested I could at least get them to you for next year, and yes, I have your address.

Carolyn, who says getting her own seeds out to the folks who do seed production for her, getting her tax stuff together and watching some great tennis take priority.:lol:

chancethegardener March 28, 2013 05:45 PM

Steve, thanks much for the offer, I really appreciate that. I will kindly ask you if I need help with the images.

[QUOTE=Heritage;337089]Chance,

Congratulations and best wishes on your new venture! It is great to see someone get into the seed business for "the right reasons":) Feel free to use any photos from my site, if needed, until you get an opportunity to take your own.

Steve[/QUOTE]

chancethegardener March 28, 2013 06:05 PM

LOL Carolyn, you are definitely one of the volunteers. In fact, I am planning to send most tomato varieties to you first. I copied and pasted that list from one of the documents I have had and I think I created another list which I cannot find right now :twisted:. Hopefully, I haven't forgotten to add other names but I am updating the list now. I think I will also add Craig to the list because I know that he is growing Turkish varieties for you (please correct me if I am wrong).

I am currently offering Ludmilla's Red Plum (very limited quantity since %90 of my grow-outs are Turkish varieties right now) but the three varieties you mentioned definitely qualify.

As I mentioned you before, I am growing a yellow Georgian variety right now. Also, a friend (a math professor from Turkey) sent me an Afghani variety of which seeds were given to him by one of his students in Turkey. I am very excited about this one.
Plus, I have finally obtained seeds for Bulgarian from Cerkezkoy (Çerkezköy'lü Bulgar). This is the first heirloom tomato from Turkey for which I have found out a relatively more detailed story. It was grown by Ms. Hafize Balic from Cerkezkoy district of Istanbul for over 60 years until her death. Originally a pink variety from Bulgaria.

Also, you are right about starting the venture being a huge step or should I say a tall psychological barrier? I am glad that I have passed that level because it wasn't easy for me. I wouldn't be able to do it without my wife's support.

[QUOTE=carolyn137;337095]So glad to see you taking this huge step forward Chance.

How do you define a volunteer? I looked at your list and didn't find my name yet I'm growing three tomato varieties from Turkey.;)

Second, I do have a few Macedonian ones, if they qualify. Mala Bishka and Zleovo and Dragoevo, that come to mind ASAP. Also, all the Ludmilla ones came from Kazachstan as brought to Germany where Reindhard Kraft was given seeds; I have seeds for all three. And I can go through my seed stash when I have time to see what else might qualify.

I know it's too late to send seeds to you now with you being in FL but if interested I could at least get them to you for next year, and yes, I have your address.

Carolyn, who says getting her own seeds out to the folks who do seed production for her, getting her tax stuff together and watching some great tennis take priority.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Heritage March 28, 2013 06:34 PM

Chance,

One thing I notice is that your cart is adding Florida Sales Tax to the total. You might want to check, but I don't think you need to collect, or pay, sales tax on seeds in Florida. If not, it should make your accountant's job easier!

Steve

chancethegardener March 28, 2013 06:50 PM

Is it adding the tax to total for you, too? Sales tax is supposed to be only for the customers from Florida.

[QUOTE=Heritage;337100]Chance,

One thing I notice is that your cart is adding Florida Sales Tax to the total. You might want to check, but I don't think you need to collect, or pay, sales tax on seeds in Florida. If not, it should make your accountant's job easier!

Steve[/QUOTE]

Heritage March 28, 2013 08:59 PM

Chance, I'm not signed in as a user, so it doesn't know where I'm from, but it is adding FL tax.

But, I don't think you need to charge anyone sales tax for seeds. Are residents charged sales tax on seeds in Florida? They aren't in California.

chancethegardener March 28, 2013 09:58 PM

:)) My accountant told me to charge it but I will double check. Actually, I will test a Florida-based company to see if they are charging sales tax. Thanks much for the feedback.

[QUOTE=Heritage;337135]Chance, I'm not signed in as a user, so it doesn't know where I'm from, but it is adding FL tax.

But, I don't think you need to charge anyone sales tax for seeds. Are residents charged sales tax on seeds in Florida? They aren't in California.[/QUOTE]

chancethegardener March 28, 2013 10:05 PM

I have just checked DOR Florida's webpage and I think, just like what you said, seeds are tax-free in Florida, too. I didn't know that. Fixing the shopping cart now.

[QUOTE=Heritage;337135]Chance, I'm not signed in as a user, so it doesn't know where I'm from, but it is adding FL tax.

But, I don't think you need to charge anyone sales tax for seeds. Are residents charged sales tax on seeds in Florida? They aren't in California.[/QUOTE]

Heritage March 28, 2013 11:00 PM

Chance, my order went through smoothly and no tax was charged. You have a nice selection with very reasonable prices and I'm looking forward to checking out your future additions!

Steve

mikej March 28, 2013 11:07 PM

Congratulations on the new venture Chance. Since i am in Florida, I will also check out your site. I love to support family run businesses.

God Bless America!!!!!!

Mike