Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Wild Boar Farm Tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20354)

roper2008 November 13, 2011 06:10 PM

Wild Boar Farm Tomatoes

I was looking at brad's tomatoes again. They are beautiful. I tried
Pink Berkley Tie-Dye and Sweet Carneros Pink. They were too tart
for me. Any recommendations on which of his varieties taste good
but less tart.

kath November 13, 2011 06:41 PM

I've tried Porkchop, PBTD, Sweet Carneros Pink, Large Barred Boar, Haley's Purple Comet, Beauty King and AAA Sweet Solano- the last was the least tart for me.

Forgot that I grew Brad's Black Heart this year- taste was good but I had low production and serious splitting, too.

roper2008 November 13, 2011 07:36 PM

So that would be the AAA Sweet Solano. Thank you Kath.

Iva November 14, 2011 02:05 AM

I second that!

But you have to know something, you can pick AAA Sweet Solano in two stages:

1. is when the fruit turns yellow and looses most of it's green stripes, the taste in that stage is very citrusy, I'm not saying tart, because I really like my tomatoes sweet, it's more like a really tasty lemonade with lots of sugar. It can be used in salads, on sandwiches, well for anything at this stage.
2. is when the fruit turns almost orange and becomes softer, most people would call this overripe but I call it tomato heaven, as you pick the fruit and you just suck out the inside of it, it tastes almost as sweet as honey with just a hint of citrus. You really can't cut it up nicely at this stage, but I ate them like snacks any time of the day, it was like candy to me...

Best tomato this year, by far! Highly recommend it!

I've also grown:
-Sweet Carneros Pink, which should be called Mr.Sour, didn't like this one at ll. Although too bad, as it was madly productive and beautiful to look at.

-Brad's Black Heart, tasted good, has that 'black tomato' aroma, but I was very disappointed in production and unbelievable deep cracking on every fruit.

-Pink Berkley Tie-dye, low production, pretty fruit, nothing remarkable, I'd actually call it bland

-Haley's Purple Comet, tasted very complex, lots of sugar lots of acid, it was a real taste bomb, loved the taste, but production was pretty low for such a small tomato, I only got about 50 cherry to golf sized fruits from it. Not enough for what I consider a 'cherry type' tomato...

tam91 November 14, 2011 05:25 AM

I grew a few:
Brad's Black Heart was nice, I would grow it again - I had reasonable production.
Berkeley Tie Dye I found very sour, didn't care for it
Pink Berkeley Tie Die was ok, not a standout among the blacks
Beauty King was good, a favorite for a friend of mine

Dewayne mater November 14, 2011 11:15 AM

Black and brown boar. About the size of early girl. Brown with typical WBF striping/speckling. Delicious taste and like all dark tomatoes I've had, less tart than the pinks/reds. It produces early, heavy and all season and taste great up to the first hard freeze.

FILMNET November 14, 2011 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Black and Brown Boar was wonderful i love his all

roper2008 November 14, 2011 01:22 PM

Maybe I'll try the black & brown boar too. I had seeds to it but gave them
away last year. Didn't even try them, was expecting them to be too tart.
Thanks for the replies.

Raffles November 14, 2011 01:45 PM

[QUOTE=roper2008;240151]Maybe I'll try the black & brown boar too. I had seeds to it but gave them
away last year. Didn't even try them, was expecting them to be too tart.
Thanks for the replies.[/QUOTE]

You might wander by the your choice seed page over at Wintersown. I think they still have some there.