Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Preserving Your Harvest (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   still safe to eat? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24)

Mischka January 29, 2006 03:08 PM

still safe to eat?

I canned a load of Martino's Roma in August 2004; I didn't can any of these in 05 and I still have a dozen or so jars left from 04. I did add extra citric acid in each jar when I canned them....think they are still ok to eat?

They look ok, but I know looks can be deceiving.

I'm craving some homemade tomato sauce :twisted:

angelstiger January 29, 2006 06:04 PM

As long as they were canned right, I see no problem eating them. I regularly use home canned goods for a couple of years, If they last that long, LOL.

Charlie

nctomatoman January 29, 2006 09:35 PM

Good question - I have some of my 2004 quarts left - they don't look quite like the 2005 (more distributed in the bottle) - I think that one sniff would tell what you need to know - and be sure to cook them well if you do decide to use them!

clay199 January 30, 2006 04:55 PM

If the canned tomatoes make the sealed sound when you open them then I think they are fine, if the lid does not then I would not eat them. I am finishing the 2004 canned tomatoes now.

Mischka January 30, 2006 10:18 PM

ummm......is there a cure for botulism?

or will eating botulism-laced tomatoes erase the wrinkles on my face?

Enquiring minds want to know. :P

bonekittyslug February 1, 2006 01:03 PM

Ya'll can look at me funny if you want, but, I still grab a jar of mater juice that was canned in the 92-94 time frame. Tastes fine to me. Never had any problem from these.

Nothing was added to the juice other than some salt.

Same with the canned tomatoes. Some 10 years old, still fine.

I'm always amazed. :shock:

*Still haven't figgered out why I have so many oldies setting around. May never know....

Mischka February 3, 2006 02:32 AM

I'm still alive and well after using some '04 canned tomatoes to make Craig's tortellini soup - that recipe is [u]excellent[/u], by the way.

Think I'll heat up another bowl right now, as a matter of fact.
:wink:

Earl March 5, 2006 06:44 PM

If they look good and the seal is steadfast, then I'll go back about 5 years.

Miss_Mudcat August 20, 2006 09:56 PM

Oh gosh... I just found this post and had to comment...

I don't think you can get botulism from tomatoes... however, low acid items should ALWAYS be boiled for 15 minutes before serving.

My limited knowledge and understanding from what I have read on the subject indicates that the nutritional value of canned goods, commercial and home, decreases rapidly after a year, so it is best to use them within that time frame.

I read recently that there is no need to add citric acid when canning tomato products anymore, according to the latest thinking. The acid content is high enough, even in the "mild" tomatoes to prevent botulism. It's just that the sugar content is higher. Anyone else heard this?

Lisa