Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Bougainvillea (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=21542)

Worth1 February 24, 2012 06:01 PM

Bougainvillea

I have read everything form keep them moist to they are a good choice for Xeriscaping.
What gives?????????

I am only planting mostly things that dont need a lot of care.
I dont want to plant something I have to keep moist all of the time.

Anybody out there have any experience with these plants.

Worth

Sun City Linda February 24, 2012 06:07 PM

They grow nearly wild in many SoCal low water locations. Sometime they get watered with lawn watering but often you see them on slopes or covering fences in kind of out of the way parts of the yard blooming like crazy. Pretty frost tender though. LInda

akgardengirl February 24, 2012 06:43 PM

I have one that is indoors here...matter of fact I was gathering up stuff to transplant it today. It has bloomed every year for extended periods of time with really nice rose colored brackets. Do you know how to prune it? I read that it only blooms on new wood but it is in desperate need of a haircut. It seems to require alot of H2O or it wilts pretty fast. The new pot is a self watering.
Sue B.

Wi-sunflower February 24, 2012 07:02 PM

I just got back from Cancun and Bogies are all over the place there. Much of the area is darned near pure sand too.

I used to grow them as hanging baskets. I would get rooted cuttings from a greenhouse in Alabama. A few times I would take cuttings from un-sold baskets myself, but they were hard to get rooted FOR ME.

I think the thing is while they WILL do well in the ground under dry BUT HUMID conditions, in pots, they do need a lot of water.

Yes they bloom only on "new wood". Just cut them back. That will get them to branch and make them bushier so more blooms.

In Cancun many of the Hotels were using Bogies as hedges, constantly trimmed down to only about 2.5 - 3 ft tall. Many of those didn't have many blooms tho. Too much trimming I think.

Carol

Sun City Linda February 24, 2012 07:12 PM

Sue - be careful with transplant they really do not like having their roots disturbed. LInda

Worth1 February 24, 2012 07:15 PM

Look at this one, it is in Italy.

Ours die back every year and then come out in the spring here.
The one I had in a pot died 2 years ago.
BUT after I have read a few things it says the leaves will fall off and will come back after it gets watered.
I just dont know.
This picture is in Italy I wish I had it on my house.
Me thinks this will work.:roll:

[ATTACH]22418[/ATTACH]

akgardengirl February 24, 2012 09:01 PM

Well, I didn't get the post about being very careful with the roots in time. I pretty much dislodged all the packed soil around the roots with a metal scoop. I hope I didn't do too much damage but it does seem hardy as it is growing up here with limited daylight in the winter and temp fluctuations indoors.
Sue B.
Worth, your pic didn't show up...just a question mark in a blue box.

Worth1 February 24, 2012 10:12 PM

[QUOTE=akgardengirl;257550]Well, I didn't get the post about being very careful with the roots in time. I pretty much dislodged all the packed soil around the roots with a metal scoop. I hope I didn't do too much damage but it does seem hardy as it is growing up here with limited daylight in the winter and temp fluctuations indoors.
Sue B.
Worth, your pic didn't show up...just a question mark in a blue box.[/QUOTE]

Strange I can see it.:?
Can anybody else see it.?

Worth

bcday February 24, 2012 10:38 PM

Sorry Worth, the pic didn't show up in your post for me either. But here's the link to it: [url]http://i.pbase.com/o4/53/509553/1/64434833.uRRl60mr.bouganvilla_anacapri.jpg[/url]

akgardengirl February 24, 2012 10:47 PM

That link says it's forbidden. What kind of picture are you trying to show us Worth??? Haha...

nicky February 24, 2012 10:56 PM

Parents planted several at their house in St.Lucia. It is windswept & dry. They are left to fend for themselves. They grew slowly the first year and a half. Now they are taking over the fence. Gorgeous colours.

Very curious about your pic now Worth!

Worth1 February 25, 2012 09:56 AM

:evil:I dont get it unless the site has some sort of key word or is copyrighted.
Why would they block a link?

I do have all of my so called parental controls turned off.
Reason , I'm a big boy and have enough of that to deal with at work.
We cant even look at knives on the computer at work, BP blocks the sites.:evil:
Let me try this.
[ATTACH]22417[/ATTACH]

Worth

Sun City Linda February 25, 2012 10:30 AM

:)I can see it NOW

akgardengirl February 25, 2012 11:04 AM

Beautiful...mine is a rose color and it sure doesn't have that much color when in bloom. Looks like just a plant apiece in those brick containers.

Wi-sunflower February 25, 2012 12:24 PM

Wow, I've never seen any so FULL of flowers as that.

Carol