Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   2012 Maters (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24566)

kath August 13, 2012 08:24 AM

2012 Maters

At the end of last season I posted that I knew I didn't want to grow a whole lot of varieties again but that's exactly what I did- again. Now I'm stating once more that I really don't want to grow this many again! I wanted to call this thread "The Last Hurrah" but that might come back to bite me.:roll:

Instead of the group photos that I took last year, I tried to get pics of individual fruits, both whole and sliced and sometimes on the plant. I wasn't planning to post them- part of an attempt to keep things as simple as possible as it's easy for me to get overwhelmed when growing too many plants. But things in the garden are slowing down now, so I'll do an entry for each variety as time permits.

Since I can't describe tomato tastes well and since everyone's taste buds are different and tomato flavors vary with location, soils, etc. there's not much point in that. For the same reason I don't like to recommend varieties for others. I like tomatoes sweet but not too mild or juicy and found this year that previous year's favorites didn't taste at all like I remembered. So this thread is just to show you what my fruits looked like, inside and out, and maybe help someone decide what to grow next year. Also want to mention that I slice hearts the same way as beefsteaks because I like to see the size of the locules.;)

Enjoy!

kath

lakelady August 13, 2012 09:17 AM

Looking forward to the pictures Kath! Last year's thread was really great and informative. I try, but there is no way I'm organized enough to do a photographic diary of the tomatoes I grew :)

NGGrant August 13, 2012 10:15 AM

I promised my wife I would grow less this year and I did. Last year I grew 70 plants this year I only grew 50 but I know much more about growing them so I have more tomatoes this year.

I am going to do 30 next year, and will still get about the same total crop.

Boutique Tomatoes August 13, 2012 10:16 AM

I'm going to join you in the "I plan to grow fewer varieties next year" club, but we'll see how that works out.:roll: It is a lot of work trying to catalog a large grow out and make decent notes about each variety, as well as trying to save seeds for so many.

I'm excited to see this thread!

kath August 13, 2012 10:17 AM

Alice's Egypt

3 Attachment(s)
This is a wispy red heart from Tania. Fruits ranged from 7 oz. to over 2 lbs.! A very pretty plant that was quite resistant to leaf disease.

Ken4230 August 13, 2012 10:19 AM

You broke my heart.:lol:
No pictures,:no: I was ready for some fat slices on a plate.
My heart is no longer broken, thanks for the pictures

kath August 13, 2012 10:28 AM

Amana Pink

2 Attachment(s)
This one had the distinction of being one of the first plants of its age to flower and set fruit. Large clusters of these tomatoes were soon on the ground so support for clusters is a must. Fruits ranged from 5-14 oz.

kath August 13, 2012 10:32 AM

Thanks for the support, guys and gals! I've got pics of about 90 of the ones I grew this year so it'll take me a while but winter can be long, right?

kath

kath August 13, 2012 10:45 AM

Amazon Chocolate (PL)

3 Attachment(s)
This is a workhorse of a plant and if you like darks it's worth a try, imo. My fruits ranged from 5-14 oz. this year.

kath August 13, 2012 10:54 AM

Amish Rose

3 Attachment(s)
I read that this one is the same as "Rose", which I grew 2 years ago. Don't know if it's true but this one produced a lot and Rose didn't. Fruits look and taste about the same as much as I can remember. Fruits weighed 11 - 14 oz.

Well, that's it for the A's- Antique Roman had BER on every fruit (!) so it got pulled on 7/7.

kath August 13, 2012 11:10 AM

Barlow Jap

2 Attachment(s)
This one produces lots of maters between 5 and 24 oz.

kath August 13, 2012 11:19 AM

Big Cheef

2 Attachment(s)
All fruits just over a pound and most are lumpy and bumpy on a plant that's not too tall.

kath August 13, 2012 11:26 AM

Blush

1 Attachment(s)
It's pretty. It splits- a lot. It's gone. Sungold vines have completely taken over the entire cherry tomato trellis. It's a good thing.:cute:

kath August 13, 2012 11:32 AM

Bobbie

3 Attachment(s)
Bobbie produces lots of big tasty fruits- not so pretty, but tasty. Ranged from 13-26 oz.

kath August 13, 2012 11:38 AM

Brandywine, Heart-Shaped

3 Attachment(s)
This one can get HUGE! Had one that weighed 2 lbs. 3.6 oz. but it rotted too much before I got a pic. Most were between 18 and 30 oz. It has some large and especially pretty blossoms, too.