Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Garden 2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44594)

Randall May 2, 2017 11:56 AM

Oh, shucks. Thanks, all! There's definitely some sweat equity growing out there.

[QUOTE=Rockandrollin;636392]Holy crap batman! You got ripe peppers already in zone 6a!

I assume you planted out pretty mature plants. If that's not the case, could you share your success plan?[/QUOTE]

That pepper plant is in a 5 gallon grow bag. It's a Ghost Pepper I've overwintered a couple of years.

I call it overwintering but it really keeps growing through Winter in a sunny window and I just prune it to look like a nice house plant. It even squeezes out a couple of peppers through the winter. I'll eventually bump it into a 10 gallon bag once I know for sure I won't have to drag it back indoors due to weather, haha.

I know several people here overwinter peppers. It's definitely a great way to get them to really produce for the season.

Deborah May 2, 2017 01:42 PM

It's all just incredibly wonderful! Really is!

Rockandrollin May 2, 2017 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=Randall;636436]Oh, shucks. Thanks, all! There's definitely some sweat equity growing out there.

That pepper plant is in a 5 gallon grow bag. It's a Ghost Pepper I've overwintered a couple of years.

I call it overwintering but it really keeps growing through Winter in a sunny window and I just prune it to look like a nice house plant. It even squeezes out a couple of peppers through the winter. I'll eventually bump it into a 10 gallon bag once I know for sure I won't have to drag it back indoors due to weather, haha.

I know several people here overwinter peppers. It's definitely a great way to get them to really produce for the season.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Thanks

2 thumbs up on your garden!

Randall May 4, 2017 11:29 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Some of the first greens from the garden and the berries are making me berry happy.

daylilydude May 4, 2017 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=Randall;637039]Some of the first greens from the garden and the berries are making me berry happy.[/QUOTE]

Randall i'm green with envy over your greens... i'm not a big tomato lover, but I do love me a mess of greens. :yes:

Randall May 4, 2017 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=daylilydude;637046]Randall i'm green with envy over your greens... i'm not a big tomato lover, but I do love me a mess of greens. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I hear you there. I'm as much a fan of greens as I am tomatoes.

I start them early indoors and treat them like gold so I can get to that first harvest as quickly as possible.

I blanch and freeze them to get me through the Winter. I still have a couple of packs left from last year. I try to make sure to never run out!

bower May 4, 2017 05:22 PM

Yow morels in a row next to the garlic :?::shock: Was that on purpose???!!!!! :yes:;)
Man that is some sweet garden... everything looks fantastic. Excellent asparagus for four years from seed! And I can't believe you have strawberries already. :surprised:
Also those are crazy pretty strawberries with the pink flowers. :love:8-)

Randall May 4, 2017 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=bower;637142]Yow morels in a row next to the garlic :?::shock: Was that on purpose???!!!!! :yes:;)
Man that is some sweet garden... everything looks fantastic. Excellent asparagus for four years from seed! And I can't believe you have strawberries already. :surprised:
Also those are crazy pretty strawberries with the pink flowers. :love:8-)[/QUOTE]

Aww, thanks!

I wish those morels were real, hahahah.

Unfortunately, they're the inedible, ornamental variety. I inherited them from my Grandmother. She always had them in her flower bed along with some of those old glass insulators from along the railroad tracks. I made sure I got them so I could keep them in my garden for her.

BigVanVader May 4, 2017 08:04 PM

Yeah dude your garden looks amazing. Very nice and grats!

bower May 4, 2017 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=Randall;637170]Aww, thanks!

I wish those morels were real, hahahah.

Unfortunately, they're the inedible, ornamental variety. I inherited them from my Grandmother. She always had them in her flower bed along with some of those old glass insulators from along the railroad tracks. I made sure I got them so I could keep them in my garden for her.[/QUOTE]

Aw... you coulda fooled me! I've never eaten a morel. :oops:
We have a few of those rocket fuel ones, 'false morel' they call it. Your ornamental ones, they look just like the blonde edibles to me (from a picture book, natch!) ;)

countyhoosier May 7, 2017 12:18 AM

are those Toscana strawberries? If so how do they taste. Everything looks awesome.

Randall May 7, 2017 07:46 AM

[QUOTE=countyhoosier;637697]are those Toscana strawberries? If so how do they taste. Everything looks awesome.[/QUOTE]

Oh, garsh. Thank you!

They are an everbearing variety. I seem to remember the word "Rose" being in the name.

This is their second season. I plucked blossoms last year so I havent' gotten to give them an honest taste test.

Once I get a few nice ripe ones, I'll report back :)

jtjmartin May 7, 2017 09:09 AM

A M A Z I N G ! This is my first year "really" growing garlic. Ahhh, mine do not look like yours! Tips?

Randall May 7, 2017 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=jtjmartin;637744]A M A Z I N G ! This is my first year "really" growing garlic. Ahhh, mine do not look like yours! Tips?[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

I more or less follow this information and plant out when the weather cools in the Fall.

[url]http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/homegardening/scene568b.html[/url]

I mix a good bit of compost into the bed before plant out.

I keep it mulched heavily and pull weeds if necessary and I feed it once every two weeks in the Spring with a diluted (1 tsp per gallon) liquid fertilizer (Foxfarm Grow Big).

Randall May 7, 2017 02:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A shot of how the Ghost Pepper plant is doing this Spring