Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Garden 2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44594)

bower August 2, 2017 09:11 AM

Randall, I love the fruit quality you're getting outdoors. :yes: Do you use any sprays etc to reduce risk of fungus and insect damage? Any other tips and tricks?

I don't use any sprays and I have pretty much given up on the idea of an outdoor beefsteak after the losses last year... the stem end of a beef is like a deluxe rot hotel in this environment! :shock::( Not to mention the many that 'disappeared' by squirrel.

Randall August 2, 2017 10:04 AM

I use BT and Actinovate and plenty of good old fashioned air flow. I try to keep the plants as open as possible.

bower August 2, 2017 11:51 AM

Hmmm! The profile for Actinovate is really impressive. Botrytis and the mildews are among the worst tomato enemies here.
Gotta love air flow. :yes: I see it, I like it!!! :)
It's a big learning year for my tomato pruning, being in charge of pruning and tying the tomatoes at my friend's farm on a once weekly schedule, since she is looking after her new infant daughter! :cute::love: I guess I am stupidly lucky because disease issues this year have been magically zero, on account of unprecedented dry weather all season. None of the regulars have had a chance to get a foothold. But that won't last forever, so "air flow" is gonna be an even bigger theme in the weeks to come.
I already had one crisis management week, when I went in and found suckers the size of tree trunks running amock. I am a greedy animal anyway, and always keep too many stems. :oops:

Randall August 6, 2017 05:55 PM

I have to break out the pruners every once in awhile for a sucker that slipped past me and somehow grew the length of my arm!:))

I've found airflow is my friend. Actinovate does some work out there but it's not a cure all and I suspect it's nothing as powerful as some of the chemical fungicides.

Randall August 9, 2017 11:36 AM

6 Attachment(s)
A couple of shots from yesterday.

A Brandywine (Sudduth's) and an Orange Jazz. Platinum cucumbers.

Randall August 10, 2017 10:52 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Set out some of the Fall Broccoli and checked the Shiitake logs for slugs.

GrowingCoastal August 10, 2017 10:55 AM

Oh! Too cool Randal.

I once read an article about log 'farming' of mushrooms in Japan. Yours sure look good.

Randall August 11, 2017 07:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks! Here's how things are looking this evening.

Worth1 August 11, 2017 08:04 PM

Now that is what I'm talking about.:yes::love:
Worth

Spartanburg123 August 11, 2017 08:48 PM

Gorgeous shrooms! A lot prettier than the ones we used to grow up in WV in the cow patties:))

Just love your simple pictures of garden life. Thanks for sharing Randall!!

Darin

Randall August 12, 2017 09:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This morning, I harvested some Oyster Mushrooms.

This is a culture I isolated from wild and named Pleurotus ostreatus Volcano.

It's fruiting on Tulip Poplar totems I made roughly 2 years ago.

Oysters are one of my favorites!

Ricky Shaw August 12, 2017 09:32 AM

Sometimes I think I know a little bit about growing things, threads like this remind me I don't.

MdTNGrdner August 12, 2017 09:44 AM

Gorgeous, Randall. Are you selling these? Or drying / preserving / ? for your own use?

GrowingCoastal August 12, 2017 11:25 AM

They are so beautiful! They may be the only mushrooms I see growing this year as we are having a droughty summer, no rain at all, maybe a drop tonight, just enough to mold tomatoes.....

Thanks for sharing those beauties with us.

imp August 12, 2017 05:29 PM

Never had an oyster mushroom. How do you cook them and tell me about the taste and textures please.