Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   How long does it take a Bell pepper to turn Red? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19564)

kpatrick925 August 16, 2011 10:52 AM

How long does it take a Bell pepper to turn Red?

Ok, I bought several bell pepper plants (only because I waited too late and couldn't start my own seeds :( ) I have what is supposed to be a red bell pepper. The pepper is huge but not turning red. I have a yellow that is good sized, not as big as the "red" but is already turning yellow. Does it take longer for reds to change? Or did someone mix up the containers and its really a green. Just trying to get an idea if I should be patient or pick that puppy before something else does. :) thanks in advance for any and all help.

Kim

Zana August 16, 2011 11:28 AM

I'd like to know the answer too. I've got one that has been in the green stage for weeks now.

Kim,

Cute dogs in your avatar....what kinds are they?

kpatrick925 August 16, 2011 11:37 AM

Ahh....my loves!! Mini Pin, Mini Poodle and Yorkie. My husband and I agreed to get a poodle when we bought our house and somehow it evolved into 3. :)

Worth1 August 16, 2011 11:38 AM

This all depends on the variety. If it is still green it is growing somewhat.
Some time after it stops growing the shoulders will start to turn dark.
Soon after that it will quickly furn red. (if it doesn't turn some other color.)
I pick very fresh peppers at the store that look like they are getting very dark (almost black), many times they turn red on the shelf.

Sounds like a politicians answer. :lol:

You could try circumnavigating the garden in the nude, this sometimes makes them turn red.
Again this depends on the variety. :)

Worth

Zana August 16, 2011 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;228949]This all depends on the variety. If it is still green it is growing somewhat.
Some time after it stops growing the shoulders will start to turn dark.
Soon after that it will quickly furn red. (if it doesn't turn some other color.)
I pick very fresh peppers at the store that look like they are getting very dark (almost black), many times they turn red on the shelf.

Sounds like a politicians answer. :lol:

You could try circumnavigating the garden in the nude, this sometimes makes them turn red.
Again this depends on the variety. :)

Worth[/QUOTE]

Not sure who would be blushing more....me...the maters watching (since they're doing more of that then the bell peppers...lol)...the neighbours (since all my pepper plants are in buckets on the front driveway) or the peppers....and I'm not sure I'm up for the sunburn in places I don't normally expose to the sun....:P:lol::twisted::twisted::D:P

raindrops27 August 16, 2011 12:24 PM

This is a very good question. I had several green peppers, that I left on the vine to turn colors, as that is what the package of seeds had depicted colorful peppers, in the interim they just sat there green and started to wrinkle. Why does this happen? I even picked peppers early to bring them inside to ripen, they all just shriveled up and got wrinkly.

tjg911 August 16, 2011 12:26 PM

as worth said it depends upon the variety and i'd say the weather too. a green bell is not fully ripe and i've seen it take an additional 2 sometimes 3 weeks for them to get red. gypsy starts yellowish green then changes to orange then red (i think the final color is red otherwise red to orange) but all other peppers i have grown just go from green to red. i think this is why red peppers cost more in the store as they have to sit longer to ripen delaying the picking then replanting the field. you just have to wait. red peppers have much more vitamins than the green ones and are much sweeter.

tom

raindrops27 August 16, 2011 05:22 PM

Tj mine never last long enough to color. It is weird. They all start to wrinkle, and get very old. On, or off the stem. So, ok, will look into different varieties.

JaneMartin August 16, 2011 11:00 PM

My "Red Beauty" and "Big Bertha" were huge but in green for about 3 weeks. They just turn reddish (Big Bertha) and dark purple/red couple days ago. I was thinking the plant's labels were wrong...:roll:

kpatrick925 August 16, 2011 11:08 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will continue to be patient. I guess I can use this one as my test subject. If it wilts before turning red I need to pick the rest at the green stage. This is my first time actually getting bell peppers to grow so not sure what to expect and this one is bigger than some I have seen in the store so thought maybe it was done. I hope not, I would love to have some red. We will see. :)

beeman August 17, 2011 08:49 AM

So if the greens wrinkle before going red, are they good for seed?
I have some magnificent greens this year and would like to save seed, but mine don't appear to want to change color.

raindrops27 August 17, 2011 11:37 PM

Beeman, so you are experiencing the wrinkling before coloring also. Hmm. Can someone suggest a green pepper, that will turn colors before wrinkling?

roper2008 August 18, 2011 07:28 AM

They seem to take forever to turn red. I've read somewhere that it takes 3 weeks
after it is full grown to turn red.

RayR August 18, 2011 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In bell peppers, I've growing Chinese Giant and Pustagold. The first Pustagold's have started turning red this week. About 3 weeks is about right.

kpatrick925 August 18, 2011 10:35 AM

Glad to know it is not just my peppers. I was starting to feel like they didn't like me. :)