Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Rare Hickory Cane Corn Available (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20360)

VGary November 14, 2011 06:40 AM

Rare Hickory Cane Corn Available

[U][B]HICKORY CANE CORN SOLD OUT[/B][/U]

I have been informed that the [B]Hickory Cane Corn[/B] has been SOLD OUT. He plans to grow it again next season!

Wishing you a bountiful Garden one and all!
Gary

I discovered a source for [B]Hickory Cane Corn[/B] and have volunteered to post the availability on my Garden Links.
Gary

[B]
Hickory Cane Corn[/B]
For those interested in growing a rare old corn variety called Hickory Cane Corn, I have seed available. I understand that it was grown in the mountain regions of Kentucky. Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, Virgina and West Virgina and possibly other locations.
[B]
Description of Hickory Cane Corn.[/B]
Hickory Cane (not Hickory King) corn was a favorite of old timers and was prized as a sweet corn, creamed corn, grits, hominy and particularly for white corn meal. It makes outstanding Cornbread! Hickory Cane produces a very tall (sometimes up to 12' or more) stalk which supports the height well. It produces very large ears with large white kernels in eight rows. It is fairly drought resistant and stays green much longer than today's sweet corn. It is open pollinated and should not be planted near other varieties (at least one mile isolation). Grown for Fodder originally on the farm for feed and used in cooking Corn Meal, Hominy, and Grits

Hickory Cane Corn $5.00 Per Pound and $5.00 Shipping
email Robert [EMAIL="rollersrule@cs.com"]rollersrule@cs.com[/EMAIL] with inquires.

austinnhanasmom November 14, 2011 12:21 PM

email sent!

Hope it will grow here

dustdevil November 14, 2011 04:46 PM

I've seen Hickory Cane corn listed as 120 DTM...a bit long for colder zones. It also should be mentioned that it is slightly comparible to old time sweet corn in the milk stage and must be eaten right away if that's your intention. In the old days it was used as an all around corn. Some say it was bred to an unknown old time white sweet corn to produce Hickory King. This is a Southern heirloom.

lurley November 17, 2011 02:54 PM

I'm going to try it here in zone 5b. If the soil isn't too wet I can plant it in April when farmers around here gamble and plant their field corn, usually a gamble that pays off.

austinnhanasmom November 17, 2011 04:41 PM

I'll start indoors.

VGary November 17, 2011 04:48 PM

Rare Hickory Cane Corn Available

[SIZE=3]Lurley, I hope it does well for you! Everyone I have talked with who grew up growing/eating this variety have the best of memories! I have been searching for the Hickory Cane Corn for more than three years. You should see faces light up while talking about the good foods this corn made. An example: We were invited to our friend's son's Eagle Scout Awards. There was another young man also getting the award. His father grew up in the mountains of Georgia and I asked if they had grown the Hickory Cane Corn. He excitedly said yes they did and was surprised that I had asked that! Families grew it, saved the seed for the next year, and shared it with family and friends. The "tradition" in the old days was the sharing of seed with newly wed couples. Two good examples are [B]Kentucky Heirloom Viva: It is sometimes listed as Viva or as Viva Lindsey's Kentucky Wedding and Nebraska Wedding Tomato[/B]

[/SIZE][SIZE=3][B]Kentucky Heirloom Viva:[/B] It is sometimes listed as [B]Viva [/B]or as [B]Viva Lindsey's Kentucky Wedding. [/B]Listed in the 1991 SSE by Harold Martin of Hopkinsville, KY says he's the original source and describes it as an excellent late Fall tomatoIt was a wedding present from the Martin family in 1904; this was a tradition often used with newly weds at that time. It produces fruit that is a pale yellow/ivory to white type fruit with pink blush on the bottom portion, flavor is mild/light sweet, and fruit can grow to more than a pound. It is Ponderosa shaped, to 4 inches, does not keep well. Grown by Viva Lindsey's family for 100 years. Indeterminate, regular leaf, a little known tomato variety and difficult to find.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE][SIZE=3][B]Nebraska Wedding Tomato[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Mrs. Beiswenger of Crookston, MN, is credited for introducing this tomato to the Seed Savers Network. She received the tomato seeds from Mrs. Englert of Sandpoint, ID in 1980. Mrs. Englert was 72 at the time and said "Nebraskan brides were given seeds of this tomato as a wedding gift. It was said to have been brought from MN by pioneers in the late 1800s via covered wagons. And it thrived in cold, windy Nebraska." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Nebraska Wedding has apricot-orange skin and flesh. 3-4" globes are juicy with a well balanced acid-sweet flavor and can weight up to a pound. [I]Determinate vines, 90 Days.[/I][/SIZE]

austinnhanasmom November 17, 2011 07:58 PM

I hope I bought corn seed. I have plenty of tomato seeds.

VGary November 17, 2011 08:14 PM

[CENTER][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3]austinnhanasmom, [/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Black][SIZE=3]My post was not to alarm you but to share how much folks who have grown the Hickory Cane Corn variety love it! [/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Black][SIZE=3]Every one I have spoken to have such good memories of it. [/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Black][SIZE=3]My example of saving seed and sharing them with others, especially newly weds, was to show how the two tomato varieties have survived for so many many years![/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Black][SIZE=3]Wishing you the best of luck on growing your Hickory Cane Corn![/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Black][SIZE=3]Happy Gardening to us all![/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Black][SIZE=3]Gary[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/CENTER]
[COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR]