Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Marsha's 2017-2018 Grow List (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45874)

SharonRossy August 22, 2017 10:36 AM

:DMarsha, I almost fainted when I saw that list! Holy Moly! Amazing! Bless you bless you for all you do for the tomato world. And I can`t wait to hear about Karma - Karen- you are amazing too.
Anyways, my seed collection is minuscule compared to what you must be doing - how do you keep your sanity??? Oh well, here`s to growing and sharing!:):dizzy:

ginger2778 August 22, 2017 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=SharonRossy;661415]:DMarsha, I almost fainted when I saw that list! Holy Moly! Amazing! Bless you bless you for all you do for the tomato world. And I can`t wait to hear about Karma - Karen- you are amazing too.
Anyways, my seed collection is minuscule compared to what you must be doing - how do you keep your sanity??? Oh well, here`s to growing and sharing!:):dizzy:[/QUOTE]

Sharon, gardening helps me keep my sanity. Lol.:)

ginger2778 August 22, 2017 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=MdTNGrdner;661407]Wow, very impressive; happy growing! ( And then tasting :yes: ) I'll be reading and following and watching for pictures! :D[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much. :)

jmsieglaff August 22, 2017 04:42 PM

By the time my garden has been put to rest and I'm finalizing my 2018 list, you'll be starting to get some nice sized fruits! I can't wait to watch your thread again this year, a great winter treat!

Gardeneer August 23, 2017 12:29 AM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;661435]Sharon, gardening helps me keep my sanity. Lol.:)[/QUOTE]
That is a good reason.
[B]Great list in terms of varieties, so many that I have not known/grown. [/B]
But too much work is driving me insane. :P
So to keep my sanity, I will CUT back by better than 50% in 2018, both in variety and number of plants. This year I had about 33 varieties and about 60 plants. There will be a lot of ZAPS.
Too much work and too much tomatoes not knowing what to do with it. But as of now my garden is on strike. :)). Exceptions are just a few who have crossed the picket line. :shock:

tryno12 August 23, 2017 01:31 AM

What are "ZAPPS" ? :?!?:
Thanks
Pete

beefyboy August 25, 2017 09:12 PM

Great list Marsha! I only grow the best of the best now but still love to trial new varieties and thanks to you, I am trying 3-4 of yours. With an orchard of 52 fruit trees, I am busy with that too. I still have 26 earth boxes but only use maybe 5-6 of them. Love my outdoor hydro system by urban farm much better, grown in a shade cloth greenhouse type structure I built. It is 9 ft tall and supports for the tomatoes are cattle panels. This system reduces the heat by roughly 8 degrees and no hardening off of plants needed. Growing roughly 22 plants myself, more than I could ever eat with plenty for tomato soup by the gallons. This is going to be a great year, wish you all the best in production and disease free growing.

Gardeneer August 25, 2017 09:48 PM

[QUOTE=tryno12;661553]What are "ZAPPS" ? :?!?:
Thanks
Pete[/QUOTE]

Bad spelling. Sorry.:oops: ZAPs is probably the correct term.
I meant those varieties that will be ZAPPED. I won't grow them again.

imp August 25, 2017 11:39 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;661435]Sharon, gardening helps me keep my sanity. Lol.:)[/QUOTE]

Better grow more then !!! :twisted:

clara August 26, 2017 06:20 PM

What a great list, Marsha! I wish you a perfect germination and later on a HUGE crop!

I'm actually picking tomatoes like crazy - among them, a lot of varieties you generously shared with me! Many thanks again!

MissS August 26, 2017 07:20 PM

As you know, you have some top of the line tomatoes to grow. It's a beautiful list. I do hope that you have a growing season just like last years where you gardens do splendidly again.

Gardeneer August 26, 2017 08:45 PM

I went back and checked Marsha's list.
I will def. grow 4 of them next year Maybe 6. Not sure.
I am trying to stay away from new try outs. Otherwise Marsha has great varieties to choose from.

Aunt Ruby's German Green is also on top of my list. It is an amazing GWR . I never imagined a green tomato to taste that good.

ginger2778 August 26, 2017 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;661479]By the time my garden has been put to rest and I'm finalizing my 2018 list, you'll be starting to get some nice sized fruits! I can't wait to watch your thread again this year, a great winter treat![/QUOTE]I know!!! I am really excited right now. Sometimes folks post that it gets them through the winter to see my photo thread.

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;661551]That is a good reason.
[B]Great list in terms of varieties, so many that I have not known/grown. [/B]
But too much work is driving me insane. :P
So to keep my sanity, I will CUT back by better than 50% in 2018, both in variety and number of plants. This year I had about 33 varieties and about 60 plants. There will be a lot of ZAPS.
Too much work and too much tomatoes not knowing what to do with it. But as of now my garden is on strike. :)). Exceptions are just a few who have crossed the picket line. :shock:[/QUOTE] You will really be able to cut back 50%? I always SAY I will, but never can.
Too funny about crossing the picket line, lol.

[QUOTE=beefyboy;662002]Great list Marsha! I only grow the best of the best now but still love to trial new varieties and thanks to you, I am trying 3-4 of yours. With an orchard of 52 fruit trees, I am busy with that too. I still have 26 earth boxes but only use maybe 5-6 of them. Love my outdoor hydro system by urban farm much better, grown in a shade cloth greenhouse type structure I built. It is 9 ft tall and supports for the tomatoes are cattle panels. This system reduces the heat by roughly 8 degrees and no hardening off of plants needed. Growing roughly 22 plants myself, more than I could ever eat with plenty for tomato soup by the gallons. This is going to be a great year, wish you all the best in production and disease free growing.[/QUOTE] Have you started your seeds yet for the fall? Which ones if mine are you trying? You don't use your Earthboxes? What will you do with them? I wish you a great season too.:)

[QUOTE=imp;662055]Better grow more then !!! :twisted:[/QUOTE]Why, it's up to 104 now, plus peppers(which I still suck at growing), lettuce, kale, and cucumbers.Think I need even more?

[QUOTE=clara;662165]What a great list, Marsha! I wish you a perfect germination and later on a HUGE crop!

I'm actually picking tomatoes like crazy - among them, a lot of varieties you generously shared with me! Many thanks again![/QUOTE] Clara, you know I am delighted to hear if your success. Do you like the ones you are growing that I sent you seeds for?

ginger2778 August 26, 2017 10:29 PM

[QUOTE=MissS;662170]As you know, you have some top of the line tomatoes to grow. It's a beautiful list. I do hope that you have a growing season just like last years where you gardens do splendidly again.[/QUOTE]Thank you Patti, that's very sweet of you.

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;662181]I went back and checked Marsha's list.
I will def. grow 4 of them next year Maybe 6. Not sure.
I am trying to stay away from new try outs. Otherwise Marsha has great varieties to choose from.

Aunt Ruby's German Green is also on top of my list. It is an amazing GWR . I never imagined a green tomato to taste that good.[/QUOTE]

I adore Aunt Ruby's GG. Third year in a row. I just got seeds for the clear epi "real" Cherokee Lime, supposed to be the very very best GWR. I loved the yellow epi one, turns out it is actually Cherokee Green because of that epi color. All this time I thought I was growing CL, lol. It's no slouch either, very delicious.
This season, I will be able to compare CL with ARGG. Battle of the greens.

Gardeneer August 26, 2017 10:46 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;662206]

I adore Aunt Ruby's GG. Third year in a row. I just got seeds for the clear epi "real" Cherokee Lime, supposed to be the very very best GWR. I loved the yellow epi one, turns out it is actually Cherokee Green because of that epi color. All this time I thought I was growing CL, lol. It's no slouch either, very delicious.
This season, I will be able to compare CL with ARGG. Battle of the greens.[/QUOTE]

Haha. No thanks to CL. I will just stick with ARGG.
I won't be tempted. :))

Spartanburg123 August 26, 2017 10:57 PM

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;662211]Haha. No thanks to CL. I will just stick with ARGG.
I won't be tempted. :))[/QUOTE]

I know one that you should be giving another try :)

D.

ginger2778 August 26, 2017 11:34 PM

[QUOTE=Spartanburg123;662216]I know one that you should be giving another try :)

D.[/QUOTE]

Speak up man!

Spartanburg123 August 26, 2017 11:41 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;662223]Speak up man![/QUOTE]

Dotson's Lebanese Heart! There, it's out! Gardeneer, sow 3 or 4 seeds, and pick the most vigorous one! Give him another shot at immortality :):yes:

MdTNGrdner August 27, 2017 01:06 AM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;662206]
This season, I will be able to compare CL with ARGG. Battle of the greens.[/QUOTE]

Yay, Battle of the Greens!! ARGG is on my radar so bring on that adventure! :)

But I'm REALLY posting to say, Thank God I'm not the only one on here that "sucks at growing peppers" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Solidarity, Sister! :roll:

tryno12 August 27, 2017 02:04 AM

i got ARGG from marsha last winter( along with many other ) and was amazed at the flavor - however, i believe due to lack of sun, the plant was very "determinant" - it put on 12 fruits, then quit?? sun?? i am trying fert and h2o and may prune some branches from a shade tree to get Aunt to "come back" as i am trying from several other distressed plants?? is Aunt RGG a true determinant( gives it up then croaks)? or is it the lack of sun? I see my Tennessee Suited and Dana"s, Olive Hills trying to put on a second tier of stems and fruits which they are doing!! gotta quit the TT :lol::)):D
just a bunch of experiments, and thanks be to marsha, i will know what to grow next year - was picking 40#'s /day for a week and i don't sell 'em. I don't think i like the Red Barn but maybe i did not let it ripen enough - or did i mix up my identifying stakes with rebel yell?? i just know that the 24 varieties / 110 plants will get whittled down next year as everyone says:twisted: pray for rockporter:cry:
pete

ginger2778 August 27, 2017 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=MdTNGrdner;662258]Yay, Battle of the Greens!! ARGG is on my radar so bring on that adventure! :)

But I'm REALLY posting to say, Thank God I'm not the only one on here that "sucks at growing peppers" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Solidarity, Sister! :roll:[/QUOTE]

I love this! :lol:

ginger2778 August 27, 2017 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=tryno12;662266]i got ARGG from marsha last winter( along with many other ) and was amazed at the flavor - however, i believe due to lack of sun, the plant was very "determinant" - it put on 12 fruits, then quit?? sun?? i am trying fert and h2o and may prune some branches from a shade tree to get Aunt to "come back" as i am trying from several other distressed plants?? is Aunt RGG a true determinant( gives it up then croaks)? or is it the lack of sun? I see my Tennessee Suited and Dana"s, Olive Hills trying to put on a second tier of stems and fruits which they are doing!! gotta quit the TT :lol::)):D
just a bunch of experiments, and thanks be to marsha, i will know what to grow next year - was picking 40#'s /day for a week and i don't sell 'em. I don't think i like the Red Barn but maybe i did not let it ripen enough - or did i mix up my identifying stakes with rebel yell?? i just know that the 24 varieties / 110 plants will get whittled down next year as everyone says:twisted: pray for rockporter:cry:
pete[/QUOTE]

ARGG is far from a determinate, but it does slow down on growth while it's developing a round of large fruit. But then it grows again when those mature and are removed. The contrary, it becomes a 12 foot vine for me.

tryno12 August 27, 2017 02:11 PM

Hi Marsha,

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARGG is far from a determinate, but it does slow down on growth while it's developing a round of large fruit. But then it grows again when those mature and are removed. The contrary, it becomes a 12 foot vine for me.[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Cyan"]
It probably is not enough sun. And I can't grow peppers very well either:lol::lol:[/COLOR][/COLOR]

ginger2778 August 27, 2017 07:46 PM

[QUOTE=tryno12;662346]Hi Marsha,

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARGG is far from a determinate, but it does slow down on growth while it's developing a round of large fruit. But then it grows again when those mature and are removed. The contrary, it becomes a 12 foot vine for me.[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Cyan"]
It probably is not enough sun. And I can't grow peppers very well either:lol::lol:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

:))

Starlight August 27, 2017 08:05 PM

Awesome list Marsha. You sure are going to be busy and yes, you definitely need to post pics. Your pics are high lights all through the winter. Some of us would be lost without your pics to drool and slobber over the keyboard at.

Some really cool names. They make me smile. Hope they taste as good. Just hope you have a fantastic growing season and bugs in short supply and weather is good for you. : )

ginger2778 August 27, 2017 10:43 PM

[QUOTE=Starlight;662404]Awesome list Marsha. You sure are going to be busy and yes, you definitely need to post pics. Your pics are high lights all through the winter. Some of us would be lost without your pics to drool and slobber over the keyboard at.

Some really cool names. They make me smile. Hope they taste as good. Just hope you have a fantastic growing season and bugs in short supply and weather is good for you. : )[/QUOTE]

You are such a sweetheart, Ella. Thank you for the beautiful and kind wishes. Maybe I can send you some seeds this season?

Gardeneer August 28, 2017 12:05 AM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;662295]ARGG is far from a determinate, but it does slow down on growth while it's developing a round of large fruit. But then it grows again when those mature and are removed. The contrary, it becomes a 12 foot vine for me.[/QUOTE]
no way ARGG is determinant. Mine is probably 8 ft tall and has no determinant growth habit. It is one of the few varieties that has fruits in the dog days of summer.

efisakov August 30, 2017 09:05 AM

Marsha, another incredible list. You have not posted pictures for this season yet and I already have 9 varieties that I would like.
he, he...:P
Wish you the best with [U]all your plans/plants[/U]. Have you being picking pineapples? How is the pomegranate tree doing? Any success with the coffee plant?

Lindalana September 4, 2017 12:15 PM

Oh my, what a list! Will be waiting for reports/pictures. ...
I grew only few from this list. Esterina and Sweet Aperitif have been loved by all this summer.

ginger2778 September 4, 2017 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=Lindalana;663447]Oh my, what a list! Will be waiting for reports/pictures. ...
I grew only few from this list. Esterina and Sweet Aperitif have been loved by all this summer.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I hope I love those also. I have little pepper 2" seedlings poking up. It's exciting, this starting time of the season. Now if we can just safely negotiate Hurricane Irma......