Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Germinating Pelleted Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=16600)

JackE January 6, 2011 06:43 AM

Germinating Pelleted Seed

Increasingly, much of our seed is now coming in pelleted form. For some reason, these seeds don't seem to germinate as well, or as quickly, as our old unpelleted, treated seeds for the same varieties. We are using the same procedures as always - same bottom temps, same medium, moisture etc. The white coating seems to break-down almost immediately, exposing the seed to moisture -- I can't understand it.
Has anyone else noticed this?

So for we've only had two varieties come pelleted - Amelia tomatoes last year and now Revolution peppers, - from two different suppliers and both have germinated slower and at lower rates than we would expect.

Jack

Stepheninky January 6, 2011 08:09 AM

I try to not use any pelleted seed as I am a home gardener and not a production farmer. The problem I have with pelleted seeds is that most are pre germinated before they are coated. So if you plant all the seed out then they should in theory sprout fine but they do not keep like regular dry or treated seeds would. My understanding is unless you use them up the year they are packaged for the germination rate will drastically drop. The seeds just are not very viable long term. So if you only plant small amounts any unused seed is not able to be used the next growing year.

JackE January 6, 2011 08:45 AM

AH HAH!! Thank you Stephen. I didn't know they were pre-germinated, and that explains it fully. Last year's tomato were likely a little on the old side (considering that particular supplier who shall here remain nameless). The peppers we are trying to start now were saved from last year.

This is very valuable info for me and I am in your debt for sharing it. We are small growers and many of the commercial varieties we want to use have large minumum orders - more seed than we can possibly use in one year. In the future, I will be sure to not get pelleted seed. Actually, I never ordered it that way - they just sent it.

Thanks again,

Jack

JackE January 6, 2011 08:52 AM

Double post in error

JackE January 6, 2011 09:06 AM

Stephen, I'm curious about the orange lines on the tomato in your avatar photo. We see that sometimes and have considered it to be a "problem" of some kind. Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus makes similar markings(but more like sploches than lines). Is that a varietal characteristic? Obviously it's not a problem or you wouldn't have used the photo. LOL

Jack

Stepheninky January 6, 2011 07:41 PM

Yea it is just the way that variety colors up, they turn from green to a pale yellow with a blush on the blossom end. Then the red forms lines and becomes what is in the photo. the interior is marbled red and yellow. They are a variety that I introduced last year here on Tomatoville called Minnie's Pinstripe I hope to get enough seed saved this coming season to re offer them.