Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   If she wrote a 2nd book, what hundred tomatoes would Carolyn.... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44452)

korney19 April 5, 2017 12:21 PM

If she wrote a 2nd book, what hundred tomatoes would Carolyn....

[B]I'd like to keep this thread separate from the [I]Carolyn's Book[/I] thread, which is around 34 pages!
[/B]
If she wrote a 2nd book, what hundred tomatoes would Carolyn select that are not in the original [100] book??? SOOO MANY new varieties, some claimed to be heirlooms, some bred from heirlooms, have been introduced since, not to mention ones she forgot or didn't have room for in the original book...

We've had an explosion of black, green, and blue varieties, plus interesting traits like the new dwarf varieties, multiflora cherries and saladettes, as well as all the striped varieties. There are also many new varieties from eastern Europe and beyond like German, Polish, Czech, Ukrainian, Russian, Siberian & other varieties

Which varieties would make it to a 2nd book? I believe Carolyn won't write a 2nd book nor list another 100 varieties, so feel free to make suggestions! Maybe she'll post some that didn't make it into the first 100 because of room, or maybe time constraints (none ripe at the time.) :yes:

TC_Manhattan April 5, 2017 12:53 PM

Aunt Gertie's Gold.:D

I believe it came out after her book went to print.

OzoneNY April 5, 2017 01:59 PM

Hawaiian Tropic tomato

schill93 April 5, 2017 02:33 PM

Is Hawaiian Tropic an heirloom? I was told it is a hybrid. Do you like the taste?

korney19 April 5, 2017 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=TC_Manhattan;629794]Aunt Gertie's Gold.:D

I believe it came out after her book went to print.[/QUOTE]

Excellent choice!

mecktom April 5, 2017 05:39 PM

Purple Dog Creek would be included.

MrsTwigg April 5, 2017 06:06 PM

Oh my. You know what they say about hypothetical questions. It's probably best for each of us to make our own lists. :)

As for Carolyn's (actual) book, I have a used copy sitting in my Amazon cart at the moment, and I'll be ordering it as soon as I can justify another plant-related purchase. I anticipate that it will be a treat of the highest order.

korney19 April 5, 2017 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=MrsTwigg;629832]Oh my. You know what they say about hypothetical questions. It's probably best for each of us to make our own lists. :)

[B]As for Carolyn's (actual) book, I have a used copy sitting in my Amazon cart at the moment,[/B] and I'll be ordering it as soon as I can justify another plant-related purchase. I anticipate that it will be a treat of the highest order.[/QUOTE]

^^^^At the moment, I have my copy on the hamper in the bathroom! I never get sick of browsing thru it!:))

wildcat62 April 5, 2017 07:31 PM

Great question.

Sun City Linda April 5, 2017 08:17 PM

Carolyn's book is SUCH a gold standard classic. I found it, (and her) shortly after I joined Tville. I have one copy I never tire of and another one I purchased new when you still could, I set it aside for safe keeping, just incase.....

Yak54 April 6, 2017 12:02 AM

Yes it certainly is a treasure, and very well done indeed ! :D

Dan

gssgarden April 6, 2017 10:02 AM

If you liked hers..you'll LOVE Craig's!! THE book to read!

korney19 April 6, 2017 10:26 AM

I think Virginia Sweets may make the list...maybe Zluta Kytice and Rose Quartz Multiflora too. Indian Stripe... for an oddity, Stick...

Sun City Linda April 6, 2017 10:34 AM

Maybe Barlow Jap? I have not grown it yet but it has quite the fan club.

Sun City Linda April 6, 2017 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=gssgarden;629969]If you liked hers..you'll LOVE Craig's!! THE book to read![/QUOTE]
I have it, and Amys too. But for me, Carolyns is THE ONE! :yes: