Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Garden 2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44594)

Randall September 23, 2017 03:44 PM

I'm thinking of taking the strongest raspberry cuttings that root and bumping them into 5 gallon bags so I can move them into the garden next Spring without them taking over the garden.

I'll have to bone up on raspberries in containers.

GrowingCoastal September 23, 2017 04:01 PM

I once grew some in two gallon pots. They needed lots of watering, produced well and multiplied rapidly. Here, they like being pot grown or in a raised bed that keeps their roots from sitting in the wet in our soggy winters.

Worth1 September 23, 2017 04:08 PM

About the time I think it is cool enough for peas it heats back up again.
One more month.

Worth

Randall September 25, 2017 07:23 PM

6 Attachment(s)
That's how it is for me and garlic here, Worth.

A few more from this morning

clkeiper September 25, 2017 09:59 PM

What kind of broccoli is that? Looks great.

greenthumbomaha September 25, 2017 10:26 PM

You must have a perfect climate for fall growing. Your garden is beautiful. Have you had a lot of rain? I am always envious of those neat straw beds that people with large gardens post. A bale is $10 at a grass supply or feed store here.

The hot weather is running havoc here as well. I didn't attempt peas this year. My lettuce is the size of my pinky fingernail (planted 6 weeks ago). I bought transplants last week at the only nursery in town that still has any, kept them in shade or indoors till the heat broke (yesterday) and today a big seed stalk is growing out of the romaines.

This thread will be my inspiration for next year.

- Lisa

greenthumbomaha September 25, 2017 10:37 PM

I feel a little silly asking this question because my memory is foggy. How many pounds of garlic are in each bundle in post 175 ? They are so nice and healthy and big. It's been several years since I ordered garlic, and I can't remember where I bought it from or how much I ordered back then. Those bags are much larger than what I had bought.

- Lisa

Randall September 29, 2017 08:17 PM

@clkeiper, that's Burpee's Bonanza. It makes some really nice sized heads where I garden. I like Sun King for Spring and Bonanza for Fall.

Thanks, greenthumbomaha. Sometimes the weather cooperates around here. We had an exceptionally rainy Summer and it really made watering a breeze.

My broccoli struggled a bit right after transplant but then it finally cooled down a bit and it was happy with it.

Those garlic bags are each 2 pounds. I'm sure they'll weigh a tad bit lighter by the time I plant it out in November, though.

clkeiper September 29, 2017 09:18 PM

Nice looking produce. really nice.

Worth.. get them in. it will cool down eventually. I am shocked I actually do have a fall crop of snow peas. we picked again for the second time tonight. it was a bit cooler at the beginning of August and then it went to blazing hot for a long time and no rain to speak of. it was in the 80- 90's for the past several weeks... they are self seeding from the Spring crop that got too hot and they went nasty over a period of about 2 days and we quit picking them. they matured dropped their seeds and I tilled it all up and planted those {nasty} 1/2 runner beans that everyone asks for up here. I have 1/2 runners and snow peas on the same fence.but if I can sell them I will grow them. the beans go for 50.00 a bushel.