Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Our Legacy of Yesteryear Varieties (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Interesting old Catalogue (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17079)

JerryL February 12, 2011 11:16 AM

Interesting old Catalogue

2 Attachment(s)
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I was lucky enough to find a 1902 Mills Seed Catalogue at an antique show last week. Seems Mr. F.B. Mills started as a one man band in 1887 and grew to be a pretty good sized operation by 1902. From what I read he grew most, if not all of his seed himself. The catalogue has a good listing of vegetable & flower seed along with bulbs, shrubs and vines.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]But of course the tomatoes are what caught my eye.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]For those with eyes like mine the following is part of the description.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Mr. A.A. Halladay, who was made a specialty of growing tomatoes for many years and who originated that most excellent tomato, the “New Imperial” is also the originator of this new variety—the Klondike and this is what he says of it: “For the past five or six years I have been at work perfecting this new tomato. It is entirely distinct from all others. The plants are stalky; leaves are what are known as “Solid” or ‘Potato Leaf.” Very large, (the leaves are the largest I ever saw on a tomato) thick and leathery. etc...[/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]In addition to the Klondike, Mr. Mills also offered the following tomatoes:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Mill’s Challenge[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]New Imperial[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Mill’s Earliest Tomato in the World[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]New Peach[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Livingston’s Perfection[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]The Matchless[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]New Long Keeper[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Ponderosa[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Livingston’s Beauty[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Golden Queen[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]New Zealand Fig[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Mikado or Turner’s Hybrid[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Atlantic Prize[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Dwarf Champion[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Improved Extra Early Tree[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Mammoth Prize[/SIZE][/FONT]

Dukerdawg February 12, 2011 12:21 PM

Nice find Jerry. Very cool to look through those old catalogues and see names of tomatoes that have withstood the test of time.

Is it spring yet??

dokutaaguriin February 12, 2011 01:31 PM

Is Klondike still around today?

Jeff

Lee February 12, 2011 06:02 PM

Very cool Jerry! Nice find, and thanks for sharing!

Lee

shlacm February 12, 2011 07:16 PM

I swear I saw that name: "Klondike" somewhere VERY recently... like, within the past 48 hours!!! But WHERE?!?!?!?!

dustdevil February 12, 2011 07:26 PM

"...leaves are what are known as "Solid" or "Potato Leaf."

Potato leaf was also known as solid leaf back in 1902...learned something old ;) today.

shlacm February 12, 2011 07:35 PM

OH OH!!! eBay!!! The seed packet shown was in Russian though... so, perhaps a long-shot that they're the same.