Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Herbs (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Turmeric (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39332)

kayrobbins February 3, 2016 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=NarnianGarden;529452]I love using turmeric in my food and sometimes I even take it as paste mixed with coconut oil.
Would love to grow that miracle plant, but likely not possible in my zone...?[/QUOTE]

You could grow it indoors as a house plant if you happen to have a sunny room. It might not bloom but that is not the best part of the plant anyway. Mine never did bloom last year and after harvest I decided the plant put all of its energy in growing the tubers.

JoParrott February 3, 2016 08:49 PM

Update: I now have 4 baby sprouts in my Turmeric hatchery!

Worth1 February 12, 2016 10:36 AM

[QUOTE=JoParrott;529644]Update: I now have 4 baby sprouts in my Turmeric hatchery![/QUOTE]

I read this and forgot to reply on how wonderful that is.
During the cold weather I just left the soil alone outside some if it was getting moist because the onions set were next to it.
The other day I dug up a hew to see what was gong on.
The ginger on the far end was getting dry and damp ones were starting to out out buds.
Nothing on the turmeric.
Today I just check the dry ginger has puffed back up and the turmeric has started to bud.
Nothing out of the ground yet.
This all could have been done inside but I dont have room for everything.

Worth

JoParrott February 12, 2016 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm afraid I will have more than I can find room to grow- KayRobbins said I should use half wine barrels, and I only have 3- which I usually use for potatoes. I may have to put some up for adoption! I guess I shouldn't have planted all of them, and used some fresh--but too late now!

kayrobbins July 24, 2016 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I planted some of the turmeric after I harvested it but was waiting to have more space before I planted the rest. It took them forever to sprout and not all of them did. I put the roots in a ziploc bag filled with sphagnum moss and stored it in a dark closet. I totally forgot about them and today I was looking for something and found them. The things had nothing added to the bag for all those months. I have them all planted in pots that are in partial shade while they adjust to light. Although this was a total mistake I am going to try this next time but set a reminder for myself to check on them since 5 out of 6 sprouted.

MarianneW July 24, 2016 12:00 PM

I need to plant some turmeric. I have a greater galangal plant--it is now about 3' tall and I hope it blooms this year. It is from a small root chunk I bought at the big Asian market in Seattle. It is a lovely plant on my front porch and I keep it outdoors year-around. Granted, it doesn't seem totally thrilled with 120f but it chugs along. It is a heavy feeder and the more compost and fish emulsion I dump on it, the taller it gets. I haven't ever dug up any to eat. Yet. I will after it blooms.

Tracydr July 24, 2016 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=RobinB;524938]I use so much turmeric root in smoothies mostly, but yes also for color in certain dishes, (and it really helps with joint pain,) I wonder if I could grow it here in my greenhouse. Interesting thought, I'll have to look it up.[/QUOTE]

I really have to start making a point of remembering to eat tumeric for my joint disease. I try and never stuck with it.

swellcat July 25, 2016 09:44 AM

Fiesta

In addition to Asian/South Asian markets, take a look in Hispanic-oriented stores. [URL="http://www.fiestamart.com/"]Fiesta[/URL], for example, carries turmeric rhizomes, and those have made good seed stock, in my experience.

Gardeneer March 14, 2017 08:39 PM

I have grown turmeric back in Atlanta but did not get much tubers. It is a tropical plant. You have to let it get few year old to produce enough tubers. But to do that you have to have frost free climate like south Florida.
Anyway. I use turmeric just like chili powder and paprika.
The main ingredient in Indian Curry powder is actually turmeric.
It is called " Gold Of India " . No Indian will cook without turmeric and chili pepper. .

Worth1 March 14, 2017 08:50 PM

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;625498]I have grown turmeric back in Atlanta but did not get much tubers. It is a tropical plant. You have to let it get few year old to produce enough tubers. But to do that you have to have frost free climate like south Florida.
Anyway. I use turmeric just like chili powder and paprika.
The main ingredient in Indian Curry powder is actually turmeric.
It is called " Gold Of India " . No Indian will cook without turmeric and chili pepper. .[/QUOTE]

I dont think they will cook without the whole spice cabinet.:lol:
I found fresh bulk turmeric cheaper than dirt and the Fiesta market, 3.99 a pound.
Not super cheap but better than the foo foo packages and one heck of a cheap way to get it started.
Mine made it almost a year until this last hard freeze we had.:(

Worth

Gardeneer March 14, 2017 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;625504]I dont think they will cook without the whole spice cabinet.:lol:
I found fresh bulk turmeric cheaper than dirt and the Fiesta market, 3.99 a pound.
Not super cheap but better than the foo foo packages and one heck of a cheap way to get it started.
Mine made it almost a year until this last hard freeze we had.:(

Worth[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]I dont think they will cook without the whole spice cabinet.:lol:[/QUOTE]
If you take away spice from Indians, I don't think they can cook. :)):))

Worth1 March 14, 2017 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;625517]If you take away spice from Indians, I don't think they can cook. :)):))[/QUOTE]

I dont think I can cook.:))

I have been trying to cut back on spices and it is horrible.
I have been doing it as an experiment to see how spice-less people live.:no:

Worth