Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Taming a JetStar? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=18671)

J Peazy June 14, 2011 07:09 PM

Taming a JetStar?

I have a JetStar in my very small tomato patch. I read that it would be short and compact and would need little or no staking...so I didn't stake it.

It is now growing across all available ground space like a carpet. The short part seems correct, compact - not so much.

Is it too late to train it? What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

organichris June 14, 2011 07:57 PM

I knew a guy in Kansas who grew Jet Star exclusively, and he had a whole bunch of plants. I doubt there was a one under 5 feet tall.

Sounds like you're sprawling it. That sucka's gonna be huge!

barkeater June 14, 2011 09:52 PM

I used to grow about 2000-3000 Jet Stars a year when I was farming. With rows 6 feet apart and 2 feet apart in the row I barely had room to step going down the row come picking time!

attml June 15, 2011 03:48 AM

Went to Tatian's Tomatobase to see if I could find more information on JetStar and it wasn't listed. I believe that is a first for me? Does it go by any other names? Thanks!

feldon30 June 15, 2011 03:59 AM

Compared to monsters like Cherokee Purple and Sungold which reach 8-10 feet, yes Jet Star's 5 foot tall plants are quite compact. ;)

tomakers June 15, 2011 05:44 AM

[QUOTE=J Peazy;218706]I have a JetStar in my very small tomato patch. I read that it would be short and compact and would need little or no staking...so I didn't stake it.

It is now growing across all available ground space like a carpet. The short part seems correct, compact - not so much.

Is it too late to train it? What should I do?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
I've grown Jet Star for probably 35 years. It is seldom more than 5'. That IS compact compared to many. Little or no staking??? That is an opinion.:roll: It's not MY opinion.:) Mine are always caged.
JMO,
Tom

tomakers June 15, 2011 05:49 AM

[QUOTE=attml;218769]Went to Tatian's Tomatobase to see if I could find more information on JetStar and it wasn't listed. I believe that is a first for me? Does it go by any other names? Thanks![/QUOTE]
I don't think she lists hybrids. It's an OLD hybrid, but it's still a hybrid.
JMO,
Tom

J Peazy June 15, 2011 06:40 AM

[QUOTE=feldon30;218771]Compared to monsters like Cherokee Purple and Sungold which reach 8-10 feet, yes Jet Star's 5 foot tall plants are quite compact. ;)[/QUOTE]

I suppose it's a perception issue. It is dominating my little "just left of the porch" tomato patch.

Not at all a bad thing I suppose. It is bearing fruit and we have had temperatures above ninety for over two weeks. Not to mention, it will be the first in my "garden" to do so.

I'm a sentimental fool. I had planted everything I wanted this year and found the Jet Star seedling in the garden center at a large department store. The soil was bone-dry and it was set away from all of the other tomatoes (probably by a customer), but it was bright green and healthy despite.

I'm certainly no expert...but this tomato impresses the heck out of me.

barkeater June 15, 2011 08:32 AM

Jet Star is not that old, unless you think 42 is old ;). It was released in 1969.

tomakers June 15, 2011 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=barkeater;218781]Jet Star is not that old, unless you think 42 is old ;). It was released in 1969.[/QUOTE]
:)I think it's old for a hybrid tomato.:D
:love:My first hybrid was released by my wife in 1968.;)