Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Help, never seen this before, disease or other? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=12012)

neoguy August 3, 2009 07:49 PM

Help, never seen this before, disease or other?

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but due to a hard drive replacement I haven't had much computer time to do any searching.

The plants are Prue, I planted 2 to a hole, the only variety I did this with. The plants started out strong and robust, they are approaching 6' tall. Now, in addition to the problems exhibited in the photo below the leaves are starting to yellow and dry.

I've had about 12 fruits so far that look like this. I've never seen this before, any clues?

dice August 4, 2009 01:22 AM

While the one on the right could be BER (although that is a
stretch, I am just guessing by the color), the other two look
chewed by some creature.

ContainerTed August 4, 2009 07:14 AM

Maybe a hornworm or slugs. If these were low on the plant, possibly slugs or small furry critter. If they were high, I would vote for a hornworm. I agree with Dice that the one on the right "could" be BER.

Ted

Wi-sunflower August 4, 2009 07:38 AM

Could also be birds.

I have a pretty fair amount of tomatoes damaged in a similar way and I'm pretty sure it was the crows. It especially happens to fruit that is not well covered by the plant and when the weather is dry. When dry I think they are looking for moisture. But sometimes it just seems like they are "playing" around with the stuff.

Carol

shelleybean August 4, 2009 07:43 AM

I have similar damage on two plants at the end of the row, but only on the fruit at the tops of the plants. I've chalked it up to birds but I haven't seen them so I don't really know for sure. They've ruined several nice sized tomatoes for me. :x

neoguy August 11, 2009 10:47 PM

Forgive me for the belated thanks for the replies. The problem still exists, but a far lesser extent. I have the first couple of unaffected fruit blushing and I can't wait to taste them.

I've ruled out BER and tomato hornworms. I doubt the cause is from birds as the affected fruit are/were buried under a heavy canopy of leaves (double planted). I suppose the culprit could be slugs or other small critter.

Any ideas on how high a slug can climb a stem or tomato cage? All the affected fruit were at least 15"-30" of the ground.

bcday August 12, 2009 01:23 AM

I think a slug could climb that far. Slugs often leave slime trails, if you look closely you can sometimes see those -- in fact, it's one way I know a slug has been around even if I haven't found it yet. Another possibility is a variegated cutworm, which can also climb. Variegated cutworms are a pest on grape vines where they eat the buds and new shoots in the spring. They hide in the soil during the day and come out at night. All the pics I've seen of variegated cutworm damage on tomato fruit show much smaller holes, though. Can you be really positive it's not a hornworm?

neoguy August 13, 2009 06:55 PM

[quote=bcday;141055] Can you be really positive it's not a hornworm?[/quote]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I looked for the obvious, I didn't/haven’t seen any defoliation or hornworm droppings/puke on any lower leaves. I did inspected closely because I did have a hornworm on a potted pepper plant about 20' away:( . [/SIZE][/FONT]

mjc August 13, 2009 07:11 PM

Exactly how many plants and are all the affected plants in the same area?

And can you post a pic of the leaves?

neoguy August 13, 2009 07:19 PM

[quote=mjc;141257]Exactly how many plants and are all the affected plants in the same area?

And can you post a pic of the leaves?[/quote]

Only one, actually two, double planted, so two plants within a 6" planting hole. I'll take pics tonight.

hasshoes August 13, 2009 07:39 PM

I stepped on a slug (barefoot---ick!) on our deck last night, so yes, they can climb.

ddsack August 13, 2009 07:46 PM

Mice and chipmunks are good climbers. I finally pulled out my old pea vines and found two mouse nests and lots of half eaten pea pods under the vines and weeds. Half eaten green beans are common too.