Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Sunchocola (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47015)

countyhoosier March 16, 2018 10:26 PM

Sunchocola

2 Attachment(s)
Started a few sunchocola seeds a couple weeks ago. Planning on a good year. Last year was a failure. I tried container gardening last year and couldn't keep up. Going back to what i know. Back in the ground they will be.

Cole_Robbie March 17, 2018 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is a good variety. Yield is tremendous. Watch for stink bugs, mine seemed to prefer it.

Here's a pic from a few years ago when I grew all the 'Sun' cherries. Chocola was my favorite.

Labradors2 March 17, 2018 07:13 PM

Yum! I liked it too :)

Linda

ginger2778 March 18, 2018 01:09 PM

Who's the best seed source for the whole series?

RJGlew March 18, 2018 02:50 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;689983]Who's the best seed source for the whole series?[/QUOTE]

Seeds&Such & Osborne have most of the Tokita varieties. Seeds&Such has smaller seed packs for a less costly trial, and Osborne has a wider selection. Both companies have fair shipping costs to folks in the USA. The only one I don't see in either place is SunGrape. Tokita also produces Tomatoberry Garden F1, another excellent variety.

I have grown SunGold F1, SunChocola F1 & Tomatoberry Garden F1 so far, and imho these are excellent in both taste & production (Zone 3a). I gave away my extra SunChocola plants last year and those folks advised me they were the best dark tomatoes they had tasted. I am impressed with the Tokitas so this season I'll add Suncherry Extra Sweet F1 FT, Suncherry RB F1 FT, SunGreen F1, SunLemon F1, SunOrange F1 & SunPeach F1 to my grown list. I have heard really good things about SunPeach. SunOrange F1 (Osborne) seems to be new, or may simply be renamed GoldenCherry F1.

[url]https://www.tokitasementi.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/tokita-tomato-cherry.pdf[/url]

Greatgardens March 18, 2018 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;689838]It is a good variety. Yield is tremendous. Watch for stink bugs, mine seemed to prefer it.

Here's a pic from a few years ago when I grew all the 'Sun' cherries. Chocola was my favorite.[/QUOTE]

Really nice photo!

Cole_Robbie March 19, 2018 12:23 AM

Thanks.

Sunpeach has great yield but was unimpressive to me at first in regard to flavor....but then I found myself reaching for them to snack on ahead of a lot of other varieties. It has a mild, pleasant flavor. Like a Lay's potato chip, it is hard to eat just one.

ginger2778 March 19, 2018 07:25 AM

[QUOTE=RJGlew;689995]Seeds&Such & Osborne have most of the Tokita varieties. Seeds&Such has smaller seed packs for a less costly trial, and Osborne has a wider selection. Both companies have fair shipping costs to folks in the USA. The only one I don't see in either place is SunGrape. Tokita also produces Tomatoberry Garden F1, another excellent variety.

I have grown SunGold F1, SunChocola F1 & Tomatoberry Garden F1 so far, and imho these are excellent in both taste & production (Zone 3a). I gave away my extra SunChocola plants last year and those folks advised me they were the best dark tomatoes they had tasted. I am impressed with the Tokitas so this season I'll add Suncherry Extra Sweet F1 FT, Suncherry RB F1 FT, SunGreen F1, SunLemon F1, SunOrange F1 & SunPeach F1 to my grown list. I have heard really good things about SunPeach. SunOrange F1 (Osborne) seems to be new, or may simply be renamed GoldenCherry F1.

[url]https://www.tokitasementi.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/tokita-tomato-cherry.pdf[/url][/QUOTE]

Thank you, much appreciated.:)

RJGlew March 19, 2018 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;690209]Thank you, much appreciated.:)[/QUOTE]

Barb did most of the work. :yes:

countyhoosier April 1, 2018 09:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH]80070[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]80071[/ATTACH]

Some good progress so far. Here in St Louis it has been raining for two weeks and snowed/sleeted/thunderstormed today. No dry spell in sight. Need some sunlight to get the little one into the garden.

zipcode April 2, 2018 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=RJGlew;689995] SunOrange F1 (Osborne) seems to be new, or may simply be renamed GoldenCherry F1.

[/QUOTE]

Looking at the japanese page of Tokita Sunorange and Golden Cherry seem to be different.
I have grown Golden Cherry and it really is probably a different selection of sungold. Same taste profile but lacking the acidity and the plants have very short internodes and like to make suckers at an insane rate, so it's more for people who want to make a hedge.
Tomatoberry can have fantastic production of beautiful dark red shiny fruit if you manage to keep insects away from it. It's a magnet for all things crawling.

Barb_FL April 2, 2018 12:43 PM

On March 2, I started 1 seed of Sun Orange and 1 seed of Sun Green. This is extremely late for Florida, but I had to satisfy my curiosity with Sun Orange vs the Sun Gold. The Sun Orange does have that Sun Gold scent but possibly not as strong. However, I really don't remember ever sniffing my SunGold seedlings.

They are 1 month old today and they are going in their final destination early this week. I just need to decide which 2 plants in an Earthbox get the boot.

I will post pictures of the plants later.

The North America vendor selling GoldenCherry had horrible reviews at Dave's Garden, so I didn't bother to try that one. Plus they were selling the seeds really cheap if they truly were the Tokita brand.

RJGlew April 2, 2018 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=zipcode;692929]Looking at the japanese page of Tokita Sunorange and Golden Cherry seem to be different.
I have grown Golden Cherry and it really is probably a different selection of sungold. Same taste profile but lacking the acidity and the plants have very short internodes and like to make suckers at an insane rate, so it's more for people who want to make a hedge.
Tomatoberry can have fantastic production of beautiful dark red shiny fruit if you manage to keep insects away from it. It's a magnet for all things crawling.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for sharing your experience with GoldenCherry. Agreed on Tomatoberry, I have found it to be a very nice variety. Not sure that many of the insect pests you worry about can survive here. :-)

RJGlew April 2, 2018 06:16 PM

[QUOTE=Barb_FL;692969]
I will post pictures of the plants later.

The North America vendor selling GoldenCherry had horrible reviews at Dave's Garden, so I didn't bother to try that one. Plus they were selling the seeds really cheap if they truly were the Tokita brand.[/QUOTE]

I am looking forward to the pictures of SunOrange F1 & SunGreen F1. Do you recall the name of the NA vendor for GoldenCherry F1?

Thanks,

Barb_FL April 2, 2018 11:07 PM

[QUOTE=RJGlew;693021]I am looking forward to the pictures of SunOrange F1 & SunGreen F1. Do you recall the name of the NA vendor for GoldenCherry F1?

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

It was Vesey's in Canada. I'm not sure it's even a Tokita variety b/c there is a space between Golden and Cherry.

I posted the pics in a new thread so can follow their progress.