Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Paper Towel Method - much faster (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15714)

cgs August 22, 2010 12:10 PM

Paper Towel Method - much faster

First, I am still relatively new, learning and greatly appreciative of this forum. I wanted to share the results of a not completely controlled or on purpose experiment/comparison. Three weeks ago I bought one of the Jiffy pellet/greennouse/tray kits. (I've done paper towels before and it worked, but it seems to be more work in volume and organization.) I followed the instructions and planted accordingly - maybe 15 varieties. Then about 10 days ago, I bought/recieved some Wild Boar Farm seeds and decided to use the paper towel method, and when they started to germinate I put them in Foxfarms Light Warrior mix. This second batch is far far ahead of the Jiffy seeds, most of which have not shown yet. So I think the paper towel method may be almost two weeks faster from this experience.

(FWIW, I realize I am little late for our fall planting here so most of this is education. I do plan to sneak a few down to a friends ranch in far south Texas and persuade the foreman to keep one eye on them. I bought some started plants for home.)

wmontanez August 22, 2010 02:59 PM

Hi,
In my experience with pepper seeds and some other difficult seeds, the paper towel/ziplock method had 100% germination and overall more sucessfull than direct sow. My 2 cents.:D

galaxytrash August 23, 2010 03:06 AM

plus it saves you wasting time planting a seed that never was going to germinate in the first place.

the paper towell method gets my vote...

franzb69 August 23, 2010 10:58 AM

i've had pretty bad luck with this method. i live in a tropical country and the TP gets too dried up to quickly.

gonna try it out again as it's been getting cooler lately. might not dry up too much.

brog September 6, 2010 02:28 PM

Explain ziplock method please

amideutch September 7, 2010 12:47 AM

I use the European 1x4 brown coffee filters which fit into the 1qt ziplocks. Set the seeds inside the filter and spray the filter lightly with water. Turn filter over and spray again lightly. Put the moistened filter with seeds into the ziplock and set in a warm place out of direct sunlight. You can check for seed germination by holding the ziplock up to a light source. Germinations rates vary due to temperature location of the ziplocks.
Fox Farms Light Warrior is an excellent medium for sprouting or transplanting seedlings to when potting up. I've been using it for the last 3 years. Ami

browndude3649 September 7, 2010 09:16 AM

Dont forget the cotton ball method.

franzb69 September 7, 2010 09:18 AM

[QUOTE]Dont forget the cotton ball method.[/QUOTE] a variation of the paper towel / ziplock baggy method I guess? I guess I'll try this with the other stuff I plan on germinating. More water retention I guess, probably better for my climate.

brog September 7, 2010 09:37 AM

HI Ted good to hear from you,thanks for the info. I had good luck with all the tomato seed you sent, second Cowlicks seed came up healthy 100% germination. plants late but very good and still produceing, slowed in Aug. but setting good now. I rate them 9 on 1-10 scale. production 2nd to Rose ( best hierloom) producer the past 3 years. E-mail me your evaluation on your toms this year. thanks Bill

WH_Conley September 7, 2010 11:01 AM

How, exactly does the "cotton ball method work"?

browndude3649 September 7, 2010 11:28 PM

Cotton ball, small container, kinda bury the seed in the middle of cotton ball, keep moist till it germinates then transplant.

RayR September 8, 2010 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=amideutch;183276]I use the European 1x4 brown coffee filters which fit into the 1qt ziplocks. Set the seeds inside the filter and spray the filter lightly with water. Turn filter over and spray again lightly. Put the moistened filter with seeds into the ziplock and set in a warm place out of direct sunlight. You can check for seed germination by holding the ziplock up to a light source. Germinations rates vary due to temperature location of the ziplocks.
Fox Farms Light Warrior is an excellent medium for sprouting or transplanting seedlings to when potting up. I've been using it for the last 3 years. Ami[/QUOTE]

I use coffee filters too since they don't fall apart when wet. Instead of ziplock bags I use those hard plastic containers that you get when you buy some bake goods.
This pre-sprouting method works extremely well. I do it for larger seeds like peas and beans which germinate much faster and more reliably that they would otherwise when planted directly outside in soil.

kath September 8, 2010 11:22 AM

Thanks for this thread-definitely going to try this next year. Wondering if anyone has tried this with sweet corn-the seed is expensive to double sow, but with a small garden I don't like to have "holes" where there could be a plant!

Tania September 8, 2010 12:25 PM

Paper towel method works beautifully for me, especially with old tomato seeds and pepper seeds. In fact, since 2009, I only do paper towel germination with all my pepper seeds. Once they sprout, I put each sprout into a separate container.

I still use 'normal' method (seeds started in peat moss/perlite mix) when I start dozens of fresh tomato seeds - as the paper towel method is not very efficient in this case.

Tania

Tania September 8, 2010 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=kath;183460]Thanks for this thread-definitely going to try this next year. Wondering if anyone has tried this with sweet corn-the seed is expensive to double sow, but with a small garden I don't like to have "holes" where there could be a plant![/QUOTE]

I do that with old corn seeds as well - you just have to watch for mold problems that can happen when a 'bad' seed starts to rot after a few days of soaking in a paper towel. Works well for me, as I pre-sprout seeds this way before planting them out. Ensures no 'holes' in my corn patch :)

Tania