Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Carolyn's Book (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=165)

TomatoDon February 6, 2006 08:31 AM

Carolyn's Book

I am very new to these forums, all I grew was hybrids, but a whole new world has opened up to me through some great people here

I keep hearing mention of Carolyn's book, but no one mentions the name. I want a complete tomato library, and would certainly like to have this book if I knew the name of it and where to buy. Amazon, I'm sure has it.

I have all the tomato books I have ever seen. Would like to have Carolyn's also. What is the name of it?

Don
Zone 7B
N. MS

cottonpicker February 6, 2006 08:37 AM

"100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden",
Carolyn J Male. GET IT!! GREAT BOOK!!
Some of the seed catalogs list in their "book section" and
I'm sure it's available on the Internet booksellers too.

Mischka February 6, 2006 09:07 AM

[IMG]http://www.southernexposure.com/Merchant2/graphics/100%20heirloomtomatoesfortheamericangarden.jpg[/IMG]A word of warning: once you buy it, you won't be able to put it down until you've finished it. :wink:

It's a great book to get folks started on the road to heirloom tomato growing. The seed starting section alone is worth the price of the book.

My copy is dog-eared from referring back to it so many times after intially reading it.

Find it. Buy it. Read it. Cherish it, like many of us do. :)

TomatoDon February 6, 2006 01:45 PM

Thank you both so much! I will certainly find and buy a copy of Carolyn's Heirloom Tomato Book.

Carolyn has been very patient and helpful to me in only the short time I have been on tomato forums, and like a true master of guitar, one only has to play a few notes for others to hear instantly that they are a master, and with Carolyn she only has to type one sentence for everyone to know she is a true Master also. With Carolyn the deeper you dig the more you find. A deep well of knowledge, given always in the most appropriate, cordial ways. I guess we should think of her as the truest Brandywine of tomato enthusiasts!

Fine site here, M! You fit that description too! This site is just what the gardener ordered!

Don
:D

giardiniere February 6, 2006 04:17 PM

I got a copy of Carolyn's book for Christmas. What a treat!! The descriptions are fantastic, the tips are great, and the pictures tempt me to try all 100 varieties.....and who knows....maybe I will.

nctomatoman February 6, 2006 04:44 PM

I have a copy somewhere, but seem to have lost it! I think it is pretty much memorized, anyway!

Gardyloo February 6, 2006 05:30 PM

Carolyn's Tomato Book

The book is available on Amazon, and it's fabulous!

clay199 February 6, 2006 06:05 PM

Craig,
If you have lost your copy then you should buy another. People of our advancing age need to ensure that memory is not impaired. :)

carolyn137 February 6, 2006 07:39 PM

No Clay, he doesn't need to buy one, and he has a photographic memory in case you didn't know that. I kid you not.

I'm the one with the bad memory b'c I've known since last summer he misplaced his, and told him I'd send him an autographed copy and wouldn't charge my normal $500 autographing fee. :lol:

Fact is, I owe Keith (Hortist) one and also Rosco.

Another fact is that I don't have any extra copies here at home so I need to call Workman, the publishers, and have them send some to me. I do get a discount, but I didn't know that until a few years ago, b'c I never read the contract. :oops:

And I'm glad to see that the book has been of use to those of you who have posted above.

Carolyn

KCMO_Don February 7, 2006 06:42 PM

my copy

I remember a few years ago when I got my copy I was SOOO excited, and I was sure to keep my 2 year old daughter away from my new "gem" of a book for fear that she would damage it.
Well... the VERY first night reading it, I spill an ENTIRE beer into the pages of it!!! :cry:
Oh well... it instanty looked "well used".

geoguy_TN February 8, 2006 08:40 AM

mmmmmmmmm............beer........
beer and tomatoes........mmmmmmmmmm......

GManess February 9, 2006 03:32 AM

I was wondering if Doc Carolyn and Carolyn the moderator is/was/were one and the same (kinda figured it was). Anyway, I got my copy in the mail yesterday, nothing better than coming in from a 12 hour shift and finding a brand spanking new copy of her book waiting for me on the coffee table. Now off to hibernate for 6 hours and then ....... I'm gonna open it and read it. Thanks Doc ............g'nite all

Worth1 February 13, 2006 09:35 PM

I don’t have a copy either and every time I got to town I forget to get one until I get to far away from the bookstore to go back.
And folks tell me I have the mind of a steel trap, little do they know.

Laurel February 14, 2006 12:58 AM

I'm the one with the bad memory b'c I've known since last summer he misplaced his, and told him I'd send him an autographed copy and wouldn't charge my normal $500 autographing fee... ~ Carolyn

$500.00 ?? Hey, wait a second, Carolyn--! I paid $5,000.00! What the??!!

Of course, mine does have a very sweet personal message. Craig, you're gonna have to lay out some more dough here, Buddy.

Seriously, for you folks new to heirloom tomatoness, it is a spell-binding field guide.

Laurel
California

jwr6404 February 14, 2006 11:36 AM

My daughter has ordered the book for me. I think after I read it, I'm going to place it on the table in my wife reading/prayer room. It will be a reminder that it's confession time for harassing her husband.

Worth
I've been told that I have the mind of a steel trap, CLOSED.