Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   BLT's and Tomato Sandwiches (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=433)

Emaewest March 9, 2006 10:20 AM

Val: Excellent set of BLT rules. :D

The only exceptions I would make would be for number 6, since I find lettuce is optional (though I still called it a BLT because there's something unappetizing about a BT sandwich, for some reason. :wink: ) and number 7, because I will use any sized tomato, except maybe a cherry (though I've used those, too, out of sheer desperation! :P )

3 to 5 slices of bacon seem to be about right, depending on the size of the bread. The bread we get is quite tall and can easily accomodate 5 bacon slices. :)

I'm really hungry now!

MsCowpea March 9, 2006 10:30 AM

BACON BITS AND LOW FAT MAYO????????????

that could be used as an example under the definition of :

sac·ri·le·gious ( P ) Pronunciation Key (skr-ljs, -ljs)
adj.
Grossly irreverent toward what is or is held to be sacred.
Having committed sacrilege. ( I.E. eating bacon sandwich made with bacon bits and low-fat mayonaise)

:roll: :roll: :roll:

(Miracle Whip-yuk. It is 30 calories less per TBL than mayo but it isn't worth it. My mother prefers it and that was all we had as children-talk about a deprived childhood!)

TomatoDon March 9, 2006 10:38 AM

Val,

Yes Ma'am. Your posted rules of a BLT are most appropriate. I will observe them carefully. And I especially agree with one thing. Slippage is not recommended.

Now, as to Mayo vs. Miracle Whip...I will sit and watch the rest of the thread...then try both when the first slicers come into fruit. Here...it will be late May, I hope.

Don

:lol:

coronabarb March 9, 2006 03:42 PM

I think Miracle Whip has a sweet taste to it. (yuck) I don't think it belongs anywhere near a tomato. :P

coronabarb May 5, 2006 05:42 PM

[b]Word of Mouth Fried Tomato, Mozzarella and Bacon Sandwich

Source: Word of Mouth, New York
Yield: 6 sandwiches

1 1/2 pounds firm, fresh tomatoes, cored
12-inch loaf semolina bread
1 pound mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup fine cornmeal
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup prepared pesto
12 basil leaves
12 slices bacon, cooked

Slice tomatoes into 12 (1/2-inch) slices. Cut bread diagonally into 12 slices; toast. Cut mozzarella into 12 (1/4-inch) slices.

In small shallow bowl, combine cornmeal, garlic salt and pepper. Dip tomatoes in mixture, coating both sides; shake off excess.

In large skillet, heat oil over medium- high heat until hot; pan-fry tomato slices until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove; drain on paper towels.

Spread each bread slice with pesto; arrange mozzarella slices on 6 of bread slices; top each with 2 tomato slices, 2 basil leaves and 2 bacon slices. Top with remaining bread.[/b]

coronabarb May 5, 2006 05:44 PM

[b]Panera Bread Tex Mex Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato

Tex Mex Mayonnaise

1/4 cup mayonnaise
Pinch chili powder
1 teaspoon chopped fresh jalapeno pepper

Sandwich

4 thick slices Panera Tomato Basil Bread
8 slices crisply fried bacon
6 thin slices ripe tomato
Thin slices avocado
Sprigs of cilantro, roughly chopped
Washed lettuce leaves

Mix the mayonnaise with chili powder and jalapeno pepper; set aside.

Spread Tex Mex Mayonnaise on two slices of tomato basil bread. Pile on bacon, tomato, avocado, cilantro sprigs and lettuce and top with other slice of bread.

Yield: 2 servings[/b]

timcunningham June 27, 2006 07:50 PM

[b]The ultimate BLT:

Whole wheat bread, toasted in the oven, then rubbed with a cut clove of garlic - makes it VERY garlicky!

Bacon, lots of bacon.

Crisp buttery lettuce and a few slivers of fresh basil

Cracked black pepper and season salt

Cherokee purple tomato

No mayo or butter or any kind of wet stuff, this is a minimalist BLT.

Bread - bacon - lettuce - tomato - lettuce - bread. That way, the wet tomatoes don't come in contact with the bread and make it all soggy.[/b]

Bryan24 July 9, 2006 11:09 AM

Lettuce is optional here.

Butter Krust Texas Toast
Kraft Real Mayo (sometimes sprinkled with a touch of ground chipolte)
Thick cut Deli Bacon (Boars Head if available, peppered)
Cherokee Purple cut at least 1/2" thick

Mayo sort of seals the toast, so it doesn't get too soggy. But for ultimate satisfaction, you should have juice dripping down your chin.

laurel-tx

bizzarbazzar September 15, 2006 09:01 PM

This is our favorite: quick and easy late night snack.

bake some flaky biscuits according to direction
while baking...make the Aioli

Aioli
4 (or more) cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 egg
2 tbl lemon juice
1/2 tsp dry mustard
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Combine the egg, garlic, lemon juice, mustard, salt, pepper, cayenne, and 1/4 cup of the oil in an electric blender or food processor. Turn on the machine (medium speed...I use 4) and add the remaining oil in a thin stream. Taste and adjust the seasoning.

When finished cut biscuit to make a top and bottom half
put thinly sliced turkey on the bottom and some thinly sliced swiss cheese. On the top half spread Aioli on it, and add 1-2 slices of your favorite voluptuous juicy tomato...put together sandwich and eat....

duajones April 7, 2007 02:55 PM

I like to make my blt sandwiches with croissants. I cut the croissants in half, toast in the toaster,bacon, hellmans mayo,sliced tomato, lettuce with salt and fresh ground black pepper. I will occasionally add sliced avacado for a BLAT yummy!!

amideutch April 13, 2007 01:51 PM

Has anyone substituted Thousand Island dressing for Mayo? Ami

shelleybean April 14, 2007 03:07 PM

Interesting idea, Ami. I think I'd be too worried about the 1000 Island being tangy enough to compete with the tomato, but if you had a tomato with a strong, classic tomato flavor, that might work well. I like mine with Duke's mayo, on whole grain toast, with some green leaf lettuce, center cut bacon and some cracked black pepper.

Earl May 2, 2007 08:28 PM

White sandwich bread slathered with Hellman's and a 1/2 thick slice of large heirloom sprinkled with fresh ground seasalt and pepper. Going to be a long couple months wait!

oldgaredneck May 2, 2007 10:04 PM

a big ol' slab of 'mater stuck inside a sliced open hot biscuit ain't bad either.....

Woodyend May 23, 2007 02:10 PM

[SIZE=4] [/SIZE]Bacon, Avocado and Tomato Sandwich is a fav of mine.