Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   What are you using in ground Dolomite Lime or Garden Gypsum? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15035)

sprtsguy76 June 27, 2010 07:50 PM

What are you using in ground Dolomite Lime or Garden Gypsum?

I've been using gypsum for the last 4 years in my beds. Got me to thinking why I have not been using dolomite lime, my reasons are the following: 1-when I got my soil tested the report said to supplement with gypsum, 2-I always thought that dolomite lime would drive my soil ph too high and while tomato plants will grow well in a wide range of ph I thought 6.5-6 would be ideal. My understanding is that gypsum doesn't dramatically change soil ph, but maybe I'm worng about that. Then I thought about gypsum not having any Mg and dolomite lime does and how I was going to supplement Mg, so I put a good shake of epsom salt in my beds a couple weeks before planting. I didn't add compost to my beds this year but have in the past. Anyway what are ya'll using to supplement Ca in the ground/beds and the reasons/believe behind that. Thanks

Damon

VORTREKER June 27, 2010 08:24 PM

I have never understood why folks focus on the phosphorus portion and basically ignore the calcium portion of bone meal--It is a good organic--slow release--form of calcium and will prevent BER due to calcium deficiency.

shlacm June 27, 2010 08:30 PM

I couldn't decide which to use... so, I'm using about half and half, lol!

Aphid June 27, 2010 11:47 PM

my understanding is that magnesium is needed for the soil/roots to process calcium.
can't find proof , just remember hearing it somewhere.

hope someone can clarify this

shlacm June 27, 2010 11:57 PM

Which is why I toss a handful of Epsom Salts on the ground when I fertilize every couple of weeks. ;)

VORTREKER June 28, 2010 07:23 AM

According to Dr. Stanley Barber, Purdue Univ., [I]"There is no research justification for the added expense of obtaining a definite Ca:Mg ratio in the soil. Research indicates that plant yield or quality is not appreciably affected over a wide range of Ca:Mg ratios in the soil."

[/I]Gypsum is recommended for two primary purposes. They are[LIST=1][*]To remove excess sodium (Na)[*]To build soil calcium (Ca) levels when a pH change is not desired[/LIST]

Timmah! June 28, 2010 07:41 AM

[quote=VORTREKER;174451]According to Dr. Stanley Barber, Purdue Univ., [I]"There is no research justification for the added expense of obtaining a definite Ca:Mg ratio in the soil. Research indicates that plant yield or quality is not appreciably affected over a wide range of Ca:Mg ratios in the soil."[/I]

Gypsum is recommended for two primary purposes. They are[LIST=1][*]To remove excess sodium (Na)[*]To build soil calcium (Ca) levels when a pH change is not desired[/LIST][/quote]

You're forgetting another important reason to use Gypsum: To make the soil more friable; making it better drained & aerated, reducing crusting, erosion, and compaction and allowing better root penetration.

VORTREKER June 28, 2010 12:13 PM

Timmah--you are absolutely correct--Thanks

dice July 1, 2010 10:00 PM

Both, usually. pH in my in-ground beds is up to around 6.5-6.8,
so I have stopped using dolomite and only added gypsum this
year. Those beds have sul-po-mag for potassium and
magnesium, too, so the magnesium part of dolomite is not
an issue.